My 20 month old son has been having a variety of health issues and my mothers intuition says something is going on under the surface to cause these things. He was exclusively breastfed until 7 months old and is still nursing frequently throughout the day and night.
He was born at 36 weeks at 5 pounds, 10 ounces.
He is allergic to oats, milk and pears.
He is sensitive, intolerant, or allergic (?) to wheat and barley.
I went gluten and dairy free for him when he was 2 months old and we remain on this diet. His reflux was completely eliminated upon adopting this diet and he did well until we began solids at 7 mos. He did not tolerate them well and we stopped solids and re introduced again at about 10 months.
Right after introducing solids at 7 months he had two seizure like episodes which were later to be determined as not real seizure activity by a pediatric neurologist. His pediatrician thought it could have been Sandifers syndrome, but we don't know for sure.
At 12 months he was diagnosed with both anemia and a heart murmur. We thought the anemia was mild, but we aren't certain because they couldn't complete the panel due to a testing error. We believed the murmur to be innocent. His growth was on the slow side, but still in the realm of normal. We began to address the anemia through dietary increase of iron.
He suffers from constipation and already has a small hemorrhoid.
He also has severe tooth decay which began within two weeks or so of his first tooth eruption. The dentist says he needs 6 crowns, three fillings. He only has nine teeth.
Last week he was retested for anemia and we discovered his hemoglobin is only 8.2. His iron stores are at 14 and his transferrin saturation is only 2%. The pediatrician decided to refer us to a cardiologist for the murmur and he confirmed the murmur is likely caused by the anemia. We were then referred to a nutritionist who essentially confirmed that I was doing all the right things to increase his iron through diet. We have to supplement and I wanted to use florivital but it has pear juice as an ingredient. If you have any suggestion of another good supplement, I'd appreciate it! I'm so concerned about the constipation.
I hope that summarizes the situation. I feel all the above symptoms could be easily attributed to celiacs, but we have been 99% gluten free almost from the beginning and so I am thoroughly puzzled and a bit freaked out. ( The other 1% is because I haven't worried about cross contamination, not because I eat any gluten on purpose.)
Do you have any advice as to what my next steps should be? Thanks so much!