or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Baby Health › Vaccinations › Vaccinations Debate › Do you find these debates helpful in making your decision?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Do you find these debates helpful in making your decision? - Page 2

Poll Results: How helpful do or did you find the debate threads?

 
  • 7% (2)
    extremely helpful
  • 11% (3)
    very helpful
  • 11% (3)
    moderately helpful
  • 7% (2)
    sort of helpful
  • 7% (2)
    slightly helpful
  • 40% (11)
    not helpful
  • 14% (4)
    hindering
27 Total Votes  
post #21 of 38

I still find them very helpful.  Not "extremely" because of the frequent digression, but the only difficulty I find is when the threads get really long, really quickly.  I often bypass reading them until they've gotten a bit too long for the time I have to read them.

 

Interesting question, though I wonder what the point of the thread is except perhaps to let debaters know that others are paying attention and don't always find the debate useful?  

post #22 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalmax View Post

I find the back and forth arguments unhelpful mostly. I don't want to read 4 pages of one or two people going back and forth about the validity of their side's studies.  I mean, I have my own opinions about vaccines and enjoy reading others perspectives and new studies. But it does seem like things have gotten a little out of hand in some threads. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post

The threads I have appreciated have been ones that had a vibe of sharing information over the debate vibe. 

 

I voted hindering because I assume you mean these really heated debates. If you mean all the debates over the years, I suppose I would put "somewhat helpful". 

 

 

 

I don't remember things getting this out-of-hand when I was a new member back in 2006, and for many years after.

 

It seemed like the vibe back then WAS one of sharing information versus debating for the sake of debating.

 

But occasionally the debates are worthwhile because some of the pro-vaccine posts do provide good information that I like to look into, even if it doesn't change my mind.

post #23 of 38

I think the threads are highly intimidating to new mothers - particularly those who are new to all the research, on the fence, etc.  For one thing, there seems to be a deluge of info that cancels each other out.  One side says, "X study supports my conclusion" and then the other camp pokes giant holes into its credulity.  Repeat, only vice versa.  Ad nauseum.  Tit for tat.


I see alot of things shot down for less than specific reasons (when all else fails, it's chalked up to the "invisible hand of big pharma" or "total ignorance of science").  It feels to me like both sides are very entrenched, mostly posting studies they agree with (unless they appear easy to discredit - then they are used for target practice).

 

Overall, it's difficult to find an entry point.  It is an intimidating amount of information, presented in a way that can be very hostile (especially to newbies, who are nervous to post, or ask stupid questions in that environment).

post #24 of 38

So, to keep things on track...

 

Chicha and Pickle - do you, personally, find debate threads helpful when it comes to making your vaccine choices? 

post #25 of 38

Sorry if I wasn't clear - that previous post was mostly my personal experience with it.  I think the debates sometimes contain helpful information or new ways of looking at information/patterns/etc. if you are willing to search and sift for it.  I don't think that I, personally, have gotten alot out of it - due to the reasons listed previously.

post #26 of 38
I find the debate threads completely useless. Many of the arguments people use aren't backed up by research. There's a lot of fear mongering. It's not a debate so much as a shouting match which often quickly descends into "You're wrong because Big Pharma makes millions of dollars off vaccines."
post #27 of 38

I found debate threads useful to read when I was making my decision years ago. Now I do not participate much (except every once in awhile) because I don't find anything new on them and I've made my decision--to vaccinate on schedule.

 

If I was new to the topic, I'd read debate threads and I think they'd help.

post #28 of 38
I guess I count as a "regular," so I won't vote. But great topic! Not that it' my job to pander to lurkers, but this discussion has made me rethink how I approach this forum.
post #29 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post

I guess I count as a "regular," so I won't vote. But great topic! Not that it' my job to pander to lurkers, but this discussion has made me rethink how I approach this forum.

Other regulars voted.
post #30 of 38

The debates in this forum were extremely helpful in my decisions about whether or not to vax dd2.

 

I fully vaxxed dd1 20 years ago and on... didn't question it. It wasn't in the media or the mainstream then, so I had no dialogue with anyone. Just did it.

 

Infertility and finally dd2 came along, and thanks to Mothering,  I learned how to take really good care of myself emotionally and phyically and solve some other issues during my pg and breastfeeding months.

 

However, when it came to the vax issue I was really amazed at the differing and vehement opinions on this forum. And reading through a lot of it, I realized that again, I would fully vax. We delayed a fair amount to spread them out, because I do think vaccine reactions are real, and devastating at times. I don't think this should be downplayed at all, I certainly feel for parents who have an injury to a beloved child.

 

Ultimately, I have faith in the science of all of vaccines and will give dd2 almost all of the vaxes. I won't do hpv because I have some issues with that and will discuss it with dd when she's older.

 

Many of the antivax arguments on Mothering, with the paranoia, finger-pointing, accusations, and obvious all-out disdain for the medical field seem like they have some axe to grind. The arguments don't sound rational to me.

 

 

 

 

 

edited to make it clear it is the Arguments that don't seem rational, not the posters.


Edited by Buzzer Beater - 11/27/12 at 6:48pm
post #31 of 38
Thread Starter 
Buzz Beater, please edit your post to avoid name calling. Thank you.
post #32 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by pek64 View Post

Buzz Beater, please edit your post to avoid name calling. Thank you.

 

Which words are bothering you? I wrote a sincere post. And forgive me, I don't know you. Why are you telling me to edit my post?

post #33 of 38
Thread Starter 
I am the thread starter. I am trying to keep this respectful. Please eliminate all references to others. Thank you.
post #34 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by pek64 View Post

I think the title says it well.
For those who are, or have been, undecided, do or did you find the vaccine debates here on Mothering helpful?
Edited to request that all posts be about helpfulness of the debate forum, and personal vaccination decisions be omitted.

 

I don't think it's a very good discussion if we simply answer "helpful" but don't say why. You asked about the debates here and whether or not they were helpful to us. How can I assume you mean anything other than my personal decision?  You can't say you don't like my answer and I have to change it.

 

I haven't tried to insult anyone. I tried to make clear that some of the arguments here, in the debate in these pages, made me believe that it doesn't seem rational to leave my child unvaxxed. I've said how things seem to me.

 

edited.

post #35 of 38

Buzzer has been asked to edit the last paragraph of her/his post. Please stay on topic about how the debate threads have helped you make your vaccine decisions and avoid negative characterizations. 

post #36 of 38
I find this very helpful but maybe it's because I'm new and haven't really seen what others are referring to. It's extremely helpful when people share information and challenge my thoughts/beliefs. I've been reading some of the posts for a few days and decided to join and post because, honestly, I really want someone to convince me that vaccinating is the right thing for me. My heart and my gut say No. But because it is so against the grain, I want to know what it is that I'm not seeing.
post #37 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzer Beater View Post

 

I haven't tried to insult anyone. I tried to make clear that some of the arguments here, in the debate in these pages, made me believe that it doesn't seem rational to leave my child unvaxxed. I've said how things seem to me.

  

The question is not if one side's argument has been helpful - the question is whether the debate threads are helpful to you. If you have made your decision because one side did not seem trustworthy - that is an indication that the debates were helpful to you.  You can answer that without characterizing one side of the debate.

post #38 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post

So, to keep things on track...

 

Chicha and Pickle - do you, personally, find debate threads helpful when it comes to making your vaccine choices? 

 

Sometimes. I like to keep up with any new developments in the field, and it's nice to know that there are people on both sides who post as soon as they find something.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Vaccinations Debate
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Baby Health › Vaccinations › Vaccinations Debate › Do you find these debates helpful in making your decision?