My 10 year old unvaccinated son was bitten by a small marsupial (a quokka in Western Australia) 2 days ago. It took a chunk out of his finger. We cleaned it with soapy water, fresh water and a lot of dettol 'wound wash', then dried and applied savlon and a dressing. It did bleed a bit. It does not look inflamed at all, and he does not complains of pain.
We saw the GP today for other things and of course when he heard about the bite was very keen for us to go to the hospital for tetanus immunoglobulin, and subsequent vaccination. I am feeling so overwhelmed and anxious with the decision to go either way. I am terrified that if we don't give him the immunoglobulin he will get terribly unwell, and if we do, and the vaccination he will too.
I have given him homoeopathic prophylaxis but he hasn't had any for a few years. Yesterday and today I have given him Ledum 30c once each day.
I know I am suffering huge anxiety over this and it is clouding my ability to make a rational decision. I feel paralysed with indecision and fear and am very teary about the desicion.
Any suggestions or advice re the tetanus risk would be great. My anxiety is something I know I need to deal with, and will, but this more urgent issue is what I need help to address.
Thanks in advance