DF and I currently are sleeping on either the couches, or the floor, as we don't have a bed. We are going to try and save up money for a bed (or at least just a real mattress on the floor, as I'm pregnant and we will co-sleep), but not sure we will have it saved up before baby gets here. Anyway, I was talking to my mom, and she said that there are a lot of places that sell used mattresses, and we should go there, and get one. When I commented about germs, and bedbugs, and not knowing the history, she said spray with disinfectant, and cover with a plastic/cloth mattress cover, and that would kill germs and not let anything out. I still don't think that it's a good idea, and not comfortable with the idea of getting a used mattress, but maybe it's because I'm a germaphobe (?), and there's no actual harm/it's not that bad, and would save something from landfill, without exposing us to unknown things?
- topicReduce Reuse Recycletagged by System, 12/6/12
Related Forum Threads
- What can I use for takeaway pizza instead of the cardboard box? Last post on 10/10/13 at 12:26am in Reuse & Recycle
- children grown -want to pass children's furniture to family member w/small children. Last post on 9/25/13 at 10:05am in Reuse & Recycle
- Postpartum Mommy Cloths? Help Please Last post on 9/6/13 at 1:47am in Reuse & Recycle
- Diaper wipes Last post on 9/25/13 at 10:01pm in Reuse & Recycle
- Which is more enviro-friendly--hand washing or dishwasher? Last post on 10/2/13 at 3:29pm in Reuse & Recycle
Used Mattress, Yes? No?
I think as long as it doesn't have bedbugs, you are ok until you save up for something new. Growing up, my family (we were 4 kids on a farm during the early 80's- tough times!) never had new mattresses. In fact, last year we all chipped in and bought my dad and his wife the first new mattress of their lives, and they are in their 60's.
In a perfect world, we'd all sleep on organic locally made natural material beds. But in reality, we need something comfortable and affordable.
Personally, I'd skip the chemical disinfectants and air it out in the sun for awhile instead.
When we needed a mattress and were strapped for cash we got a new 4wd camping mattress. It was self inflating, but half-foam and half inflatable. So if you got a hole in it it was still extremely thick and comfy. I slept on this for a year and it was the comfiest mattress I have ever owned! You have to get the proper quality ones, not a plain air mattress- they are horrible. They are pricey just for camping, but compared to spring and bed mattresses they are SO cheap. I have a chance to get an organic one now, but I am torn about getting another one of the camping ones instead as I know how comfy they are. And the organic one will just settle and be so hard and uncomfortable and it costs about 10 times as much! LOL.
- › Books, Blogs and... Recipes, yeah. Why not? 1 minute ago
- › Where to rent live reindeer for our front yard? 12 minutes ago
- › valium? 12 minutes ago
- › 5 year old has some small pimples. 13 minutes ago
- › 3 year old sleep needs? 14 minutes ago
- › advice please - dh strict & controlling attitude 21 minutes ago
- › Single Mamas By Choice 21 minutes ago
- › chicken pox party's, why? 21 minutes ago
- › radical homemaker thread? 26 minutes ago
- › MIL Cut Little Man's Hair! 33 minutes ago
- › The Polar Express by Alyssa Eisner
- › The Night Before Christmas by 1love4ever
- › The Snowy Day by janonia
- › The Snow Queen by Melanie Mayo
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by Melanie Mayo
- › Christmas in the Big Woods by Melanie Mayo
- › Diva Cup Diva Cup #2 Post Childbirth, Cup by Taqah
- › GroVia Cloth All In One - Pudge by Taqah
- › North American Bear Company Rosy Cheeks Baby Tan by Taqah
- › Maya Wrap Lightly Padded Baby Sling by Taqah
- › Holiday Books Giveaway Rules by Melanie Mayo
- › Developmental Milestones to Marvel At by Marcy Axness
- › 15 Fun and Enchanting Holiday Tales for Children by Melanie Mayo
- › To Santa or Not To Santa by JillVettel
- › Three Low Cost Holiday Gifts to Make with Kids by Monica S
- › Mothering with Mental Illness: The Natural... by OliviaHinebaugh
- › A Difficult Conversation by Melanie Mayo
- › Does Motherhood Matter Anymore? by Melanie Mayo
- › Terms and Conditions: Holiday Cards Giveaway... by Cynthia Mosher
- › Mothering's Natural Toy Guide 2013 by Melanie Mayo