DF and I currently are sleeping on either the couches, or the floor, as we don't have a bed. We are going to try and save up money for a bed (or at least just a real mattress on the floor, as I'm pregnant and we will co-sleep), but not sure we will have it saved up before baby gets here. Anyway, I was talking to my mom, and she said that there are a lot of places that sell used mattresses, and we should go there, and get one. When I commented about germs, and bedbugs, and not knowing the history, she said spray with disinfectant, and cover with a plastic/cloth mattress cover, and that would kill germs and not let anything out. I still don't think that it's a good idea, and not comfortable with the idea of getting a used mattress, but maybe it's because I'm a germaphobe (?), and there's no actual harm/it's not that bad, and would save something from landfill, without exposing us to unknown things?
- topicReduce Reuse Recycletagged by System, 12/5/12
Related Forum Threads
- recommendations for reusable cloth pads Last post on 4/5/14 at 4:45am in Reuse & Recycle
- What do you do with stained outgrown kids clothing? Last post on 4/3/14 at 11:47am in Reuse & Recycle
- Anything to reuse felted wool baby cloth? Last post on 2/23/14 at 8:38am in Reuse & Recycle
- What can I use for takeaway pizza instead of the cardboard box? Last post on 2/14/14 at 12:22pm in Reuse & Recycle
- children grown -want to pass children's furniture to family member w/small children. Last post on 9/25/13 at 10:05am in Reuse & Recycle
Used Mattress, Yes? No?
I think as long as it doesn't have bedbugs, you are ok until you save up for something new. Growing up, my family (we were 4 kids on a farm during the early 80's- tough times!) never had new mattresses. In fact, last year we all chipped in and bought my dad and his wife the first new mattress of their lives, and they are in their 60's.
In a perfect world, we'd all sleep on organic locally made natural material beds. But in reality, we need something comfortable and affordable.
Personally, I'd skip the chemical disinfectants and air it out in the sun for awhile instead.
When we needed a mattress and were strapped for cash we got a new 4wd camping mattress. It was self inflating, but half-foam and half inflatable. So if you got a hole in it it was still extremely thick and comfy. I slept on this for a year and it was the comfiest mattress I have ever owned! You have to get the proper quality ones, not a plain air mattress- they are horrible. They are pricey just for camping, but compared to spring and bed mattresses they are SO cheap. I have a chance to get an organic one now, but I am torn about getting another one of the camping ones instead as I know how comfy they are. And the organic one will just settle and be so hard and uncomfortable and it costs about 10 times as much! LOL.
- › Family dies of Diphtheria! 8 seconds ago
- › Why Is Jenny McCarthy Dangerous? 2 minutes ago
- › Free riding behavior and vaccination 5 minutes ago
- › Pictures Used to Warn Parents 6 minutes ago
- › My 5yo "confessed" he wants to be a girl 8 minutes ago
- › Need ideas for a Women's Group I am part of! 10 minutes ago
- › Can't stand that all the neighborhood kids want to play at my house! 11 minutes ago
- › CNN: US Autism Rate Surges--AGAIN 13 minutes ago
- › What will you wear during labor? 14 minutes ago
- › Am I normal? Getting disheartened... 16 minutes ago
- › Epibi Nursing Pads by SparkleMaman
- › By Marie Winn - The Plug-In Drug: Television, Computers, and Family... by Catholic Mama
- › Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver by ss834
- › Pyur Diaper Balm by MimiPilla
- › Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, Fragrance Free, by KatelynRose
- › Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Video Monitor with 2.5"... by thebessmartinfo
- › Happy Heiny's One Size Cloth Diapers by SquirmyWorm
- › Homesteader's Kitchen, The: Recipes from Farm to Table by Monica S
- › Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin, 90 Tablets by glwilson22
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › WellFuture WellBelly April 2014 Giveaway by JenniO11
- › 30 Hilarious and Inspiring Parenting Quotes... by Melanie Mayo
- › Should We Stop Acting Like Breastfeeding is a... by Sarah Clark
- › Got Trust? The Antidote for Insecurity &... by Marcy Axness
- › Finding My Tribe After the Death of My Daughter by Melanie Mayo
- › Ten Tips for Surviving Two Under Two by Melanie Mayo
- › The Worry and Wonderment of Parenting by Melanie Mayo
- › 5 Surprising Benefits to Making a Pet a Part... by Melanie Mayo
- › Mining Joy from the Muck of Daily Mothering by Marcy Axness
- › Interview with Blair Lee, author by SavvyHomeschool