DF and I currently are sleeping on either the couches, or the floor, as we don't have a bed. We are going to try and save up money for a bed (or at least just a real mattress on the floor, as I'm pregnant and we will co-sleep), but not sure we will have it saved up before baby gets here. Anyway, I was talking to my mom, and she said that there are a lot of places that sell used mattresses, and we should go there, and get one. When I commented about germs, and bedbugs, and not knowing the history, she said spray with disinfectant, and cover with a plastic/cloth mattress cover, and that would kill germs and not let anything out. I still don't think that it's a good idea, and not comfortable with the idea of getting a used mattress, but maybe it's because I'm a germaphobe (?), and there's no actual harm/it's not that bad, and would save something from landfill, without exposing us to unknown things?
- topicReduce Reuse Recycle
Related Forum Threads
- Torn about reusing vs donating Last post on 3/19/13 at 7:22am in Reduce, Reuse and Recycle
- Who won? Any word on the "frugal tips" contest? Last post on 2/12/13 at 1:08pm in Reduce, Reuse and Recycle
- What Do You Do Last post on 3/26/13 at 12:00pm in Reduce, Reuse and Recycle
- Which is the least wasteful option? Last post on 2/10/13 at 6:59am in Reduce, Reuse and Recycle
- Reduce, Reuse or Recycle? Which do you do the most? Last post on 3/26/13 at 11:49am in Reduce, Reuse and Recycle
Used Mattress, Yes? No?
I think as long as it doesn't have bedbugs, you are ok until you save up for something new. Growing up, my family (we were 4 kids on a farm during the early 80's- tough times!) never had new mattresses. In fact, last year we all chipped in and bought my dad and his wife the first new mattress of their lives, and they are in their 60's.
In a perfect world, we'd all sleep on organic locally made natural material beds. But in reality, we need something comfortable and affordable.
Personally, I'd skip the chemical disinfectants and air it out in the sun for awhile instead.
I'd use the power of the sun, too. Not sure where you're located, but if it's sunny, I'd let the sun do its thing.
If you're somewhere really cold (like me), I'd leave it outside to freeze for a few days. Either way, Mother Nature will do her thing.
When we needed a mattress and were strapped for cash we got a new 4wd camping mattress. It was self inflating, but half-foam and half inflatable. So if you got a hole in it it was still extremely thick and comfy. I slept on this for a year and it was the comfiest mattress I have ever owned! You have to get the proper quality ones, not a plain air mattress- they are horrible. They are pricey just for camping, but compared to spring and bed mattresses they are SO cheap. I have a chance to get an organic one now, but I am torn about getting another one of the camping ones instead as I know how comfy they are. And the organic one will just settle and be so hard and uncomfortable and it costs about 10 times as much! LOL.
- Used Mattress, Yes? No?
- › Santa Fe/Espanola midwife recommendations or Los Alamos OB feedback 29 seconds ago
- › Stressed about my new FET protocol and can use a little support and... 1 minute ago
- › The TTC One Thread - May Flowers and BFP's 4 minutes ago
- › Ipad for homeschooling 10 minutes ago
- › 8 week Healthy Weight Loss Challenge version 9.0 (enrolling through... 10 minutes ago
- › Do things have to be even between siblings? 11 minutes ago
- › The loss of affection 12 minutes ago
- › ~Weekly Chat Thread for May 24th-May 31st~ 14 minutes ago
- › I feel like I am the only one in the world that choses not to... 20 minutes ago
- › receding gums- any way to prevent or reverse? 21 minutes ago
- › Medela Pump in Style Advanced Breast Pump with Shoulder Bag by matope
- › Philips AVENT ISIS Manual Breast Pump, White by matope
- › Bebe Au Lait Nursing Cover by matope
- › Lansinoh Lanolin for Breastfeeding Mothers 2 oz (56 g) by matope
- › Philips AVENT Washable Nursing Pads, 6 Count by matope
- › NUK Ultra Thin Nursing Pads, 60 Pack by matope
- › TRADITIONAL MEDICINALS TEAS Mother's Milk Tea 16 bags by matope
- › Leachco Snoogle Total Body Pillow by matope
- › Boppy Nursing Pillow with Slipcover by matope
- › Glamourmom Nursing Bra Tank by matope
- › Pause for Presence: A Personal Reflection by Marcy Axness
- › Ina May Gaskin Reviews Groundbreaking Book,... by Melanie Mayo
- › Why We Homeschool by Melanie Mayo
- › A Mama's Peace by AmandaK
- › 7 Simple Recipes to Bless a New Mom by Melanie Mayo
- › Closing Up Shop: Life After Vasectomy by Melanie Mayo
- › My Heart Growing Fonder by Melanie Mayo
- › Happy Simple Baby Love by Melanie Mayo
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo