or Connect
Mothering › Groups › March 2013 Due Date Club › Discussions › ~*~*~*~Spotlight on veganyogamomma!!~*~*~*~

~*~*~*~Spotlight on veganyogamomma!!~*~*~*~

post #1 of 39
Thread Starter 

~*~*~*~Spotlight on veganyogamomma!!~*~*~*~

 

Ask away!

post #2 of 39
Thread Starter 

I am a hopeless romantic, so I'd like to know:

 

How did you meet your DH? :D

post #3 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodieanneanton View Post

I am a hopeless romantic, so I'd like to know:

 

How did you meet your DH? :D

 



Good morning!!

 

We actually aren't sure exactly when we met for the first time, we had a lot of mutual friends in high school. The time that we both remember really noticing each other was when we were 19. He had already moved to AZ (we grew up in NY) and was back for a visit when a group of us went to IHOP together. I remember thinking he was wayyyy to cute for me, haha. He remembers not really liking my boyfriend at the time, mostly just because we were dating.

 

We kept up as friends online but never talked directly. About six years ago, I saw that he had a baby, and I can remember being bummed that he was clearly settled down. Well, he and his daughter's mom didn't end up staying together. About three years ago, he randomly sent me a message on Facebook. We started talking that day, and pretty much talked and texted all day, every day from then on! It was really crazy how close we got so fast. We were long distance for a while, then eventually I decided to quit my job, sell my house, and move across the country to be with him. We got married three months later, and found out we were pregnant with DD a month after that! joy.gif

post #4 of 39

Vegan-- sounds like my story with my DH!  We also were vaguely aware of each other through mutual friends for a while and then randomly started chatting one day, did the long distance thing, and got engaged shortly after.  6 years and (almost) 3 kids later and we're still crazy for each other.  :)

 

Is this your second baby together?  Do you know what you are having?  

 

You said you were from NY originally-- whereabouts?  (Are you the one that said you grew up in Orchard Park?  I can't remember now...)

 

How old is your DD?  

 

When did you get started with yoga?  And do you have any tips for us other pregnant mamas?  How has Yoga helped you through pregnancy and in preparation for birth?

post #5 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapsie View Post

Vegan-- sounds like my story with my DH!  We also were vaguely aware of each other through mutual friends for a while and then randomly started chatting one day, did the long distance thing, and got engaged shortly after.  6 years and (almost) 3 kids later and we're still crazy for each other.  :)

 

Is this your second baby together?  Do you know what you are having?  

 

You said you were from NY originally-- whereabouts?  (Are you the one that said you grew up in Orchard Park?  I can't remember now...)

 

How old is your DD?  

 

When did you get started with yoga?  And do you have any tips for us other pregnant mamas?  How has Yoga helped you through pregnancy and in preparation for birth?

 

So cool!

 

Yes- this is our second baby together. We are having another girl! I'm so excited for DD to have a sister since I grew up with two sisters myself.

 

I grew up in Amherst NY, but I did live in Orchard Park for a while! I think I mentioned it when you said something about the October storm.

 

DD is 18 months old.

 

I grew up around yoga because my mom always practiced. I started my own practice about 12 years ago, though I was pretty on-and-off with it in the beginning. I got my teacher certification two years ago. I think even if you can just learn a few poses to practice at home, getting your body moving every day (especially beyond the typical range of motion we use for day-to-day activity) can be hugely beneficial. However, I would definitely get some face-to-face time with an experienced prenatal teacher before practicing on your own. It's just too easy to do the poses incorrectly and cause an injury, especially being pregnant. If you can find the time and money to attend prenatal classes regularly, they really are great. Most teachers foster a sense of community among the pregnant moms, and I've seen many continue on to Mommy and Me classes together once their babies arrive.

 

Specifically for me, in preparing for DD's birth, the biggest thing yoga taught me was to trust in and stay connected to my body. I feel like that was huge during her birth. Beyond that, yoga has helped to lessen morning sickness, have more energy, and deal with the emotional swings of being pregnant. I can tell a huge difference between when I practice and when I don't.

 

Yoga may not be for everyone, and that's okay, but I think it has made my pregnancy and birth experiences so much smoother than they could have been otherwise!

post #6 of 39

Do you like Arizona? Do you ever want to come back to the north east?

 

Are you and your DH "crunchy", semi-"crunchy" or not at all?

 

Are you nervous about having two under 2?

post #7 of 39

How long have you been Vegan? 

What's your favorite protein during pregnancy?

What's the temperature in Arizona right now?  (I tried not to ask, but I'm so cold that I need to warm up vicariously through someone...)

post #8 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by babytoes View Post

Do you like Arizona? Do you ever want to come back to the north east?

 

Are you and your DH "crunchy", semi-"crunchy" or not at all?

 

Are you nervous about having two under 2?


I do like AZ in the winter, but we are looking to move back east in 2013. I want to live somewhere where the kids can play outside year round, even if it's colder in the winter. Here, we are stuck indoors all summer, and it is a total bummer for a toddler!

 

I would say that we are pretty crunchy. I am more crunchy than he is, but he does go along with most of my more extreme stuff. We are non-vax so far, but that will probably turn into delayed/selective vax once DD is a bit older. We cloth diapered until our living situation changed and we moved in with MIL who is addicted to fabric softener (yuck! haha). I don't use chemicals to clean, we all go to a naturopathic doctor, we eat a mostly whole foods diet, DD is vegan, we use gentle parenting, etc. However, DD does watch SOME tv, though limited, and she sleeps in her crib now after 16 months of cosleeping. I am very much a "follow your intuition" kind of mother. I try to be flexible with my ideals about parenting to adapt to all of our needs as a family.

 

And YES- I am definitely nervous about having two under 2! But I know that many people have survived it. So I'm confident that, while it may not always be graceful and lovely, I will be just fine and so will the girls.

post #9 of 39

Would you move back to WNY?  If so... we should have a playdate.  :)  

 

My kids are 22 months apart and I LOVE it.   My son was too young to be jealous but old enough to be helpful.  They are very close and play well together.  I think having two girls so close will be fun for them.  :)  

post #10 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffy too View Post

How long have you been Vegan? 

What's your favorite protein during pregnancy?

What's the temperature in Arizona right now?  (I tried not to ask, but I'm so cold that I need to warm up vicariously through someone...)

 

I've been vegetarian for 19 years, vegan on-and-off for the last 13 years. By "on-and-off" I mean "mostly vegan". I could never sit down and drink a glass of milk or eat a scrambled egg, but there were times when I wasn't as strict about the ingredients in certain foods I ate.

 

My favorite protein during pregnancy is organic sprouted tofu. It's versatile so it's easy to work into many different meals. I try to keep a variety of protein sources in my diet though, including a plant based protein mix in a daily shake. My midwife was horrified that I wouldn't even eat eggs with my first pregnancy, but after my nutrient levels were good the whole time and my daughter was good sized and healthy, she is handling my being vegan a lot better this time around. Haha! The thing that I realized being vegan and pregnant is that I had to be so thoughtful about what I was eating, to get into some good habits, and I believe I was much more diet-aware than many women would be on a "regular" diet during pregnancy. (Though probably not so true for many of the women on MDC!)

 

Today the high is 77 degrees. We are averaging around 75-80 this month, though the temps will probably drop off a little bit soon. It is PERFECT weather right now! However, we pay for it with 4-6 months of ridiculously hot temps!! I'm over desert summers. It's not like winter in the north, where at least most days you can dress for it and still be outside. Even a nudist would be way too hot when it's 115 degrees out!

post #11 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapsie View Post

Would you move back to WNY?  If so... we should have a playdate.  :)  

 

My kids are 22 months apart and I LOVE it.   My son was too young to be jealous but old enough to be helpful.  They are very close and play well together.  I think having two girls so close will be fun for them.  :)  


No plans to move back to WNY right now! My DH has been in AZ for 12 years and he REALLY wants to go back to Buffalo.... but I don't think I've been gone long enough to miss the snow yet!! Maybe someday, but I need a few more years for the memories of shoveling to fade smile.gif

 

And thank you for that, it's very reassuring to hear good stories about two under 2!

post #12 of 39
Thread Starter 

Have you picked out a name for your new little girl?  

Are you excited about having 2 girls?  Did you have a gender preference?

Are you open to more children in the future, or is 2 your "limit"? 

post #13 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodieanneanton View Post

Have you picked out a name for your new little girl?  

Are you excited about having 2 girls?  Did you have a gender preference?

Are you open to more children in the future, or is 2 your "limit"? 

 

We don't have the SLIGHTEST idea for a name! Oh man. I keep trying to make lists, but I just feel so picky this time!! With DD, we made a list of possibilities, but I feel like we both knew they weren't anything we would really use because we didn't LOVE any of them. Then, we had watched all the episodes of an old show on Netflix, and at the end, they showed the characters full names. DD's name was one of their middle names, and we both looked at each other at the same second and knew it was what we would use. So I think this time, we're both just waiting for that magical "this is it!" moment... I sure hope it comes before the baby does!!

 

I am really excited for two girls. DH has an older daughter too, so I thought he would really want a boy. He actually preferred another girl though. I would have been happy either way! Though I feel like maybe it will be easier to have girls because I can relate to them better. I didn't have a brother or boy cousins growing up, so I have much less experience with boys!

 

2 is probably our limit, especially because with my DSD we have 3 sometimes. I'm thinking this will be it, but I'm not set in stone about it yet. He's pretty sure he wants to be done, but has admitted that if I really felt otherwise, he could be convinced. I have to admit- I'm dreaming a bit about being done and getting back to some aspects of life in a few years that having a baby/toddler doesn't really allow for as much. Things like traveling as a family, playing music again, etc. I'd also like to reclaim my body and get fit again. I didn't push myself that hard after DD was born because I knew that I was just going to be pregnant again anyway!

post #14 of 39
Thread Starter 

Playing music again?  What do you play?

 

Your DH sounds pretty easy going.  What does he do for a living?

post #15 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodieanneanton View Post

Playing music again?  What do you play?

 

Your DH sounds pretty easy going.  What does he do for a living?

 

I play guitar, bass, and piano. I used to play in bands, tour, etc. but obviously babies don't go along well with that! I wouldn't go on tour again, but I would like to play shows! Right now, I get about 15 seconds on the guitar before DD comes along to "help".

 

My DH is one of the most laid-back people I have ever met. He does glass installation for a living, some residential (windows, shower enclosures, etc) but mostly commercial.

post #16 of 39

Hi veganyogamomma!

I love your meeting Dh story. Seems like you are meant to be :)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganyogamomma View Post

My favorite protein during pregnancy is organic sprouted tofu. It's versatile so it's easy to work into many different meals. I try to keep a variety of protein sources in my diet though, including a plant based protein mix in a daily shake. My midwife was horrified that I wouldn't even eat eggs with my first pregnancy, but after my nutrient levels were good the whole time and my daughter was good sized and healthy, she is handling my being vegan a lot better this time around. Haha! The thing that I realized being vegan and pregnant is that I had to be so thoughtful about what I was eating, to get into some good habits, and I believe I was much more diet-aware than many women would be on a "regular" diet during pregnancy. (Though probably not so true for many of the women on MDC!)

 

 

DD and I are vegan as well and for the past 2 weeks, I've been eating organic sprouted tofu everyday! It's like I couldn't get enough. Sometimes twice per day.

I started getting the feeling like I was getting too much soy though, so I forced myself to knowck it off :)

 

Anyhoo, on to my question- will DD be at the birth of this little one?

post #17 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoanib View Post

 

Anyhoo, on to my question- will DD be at the birth of this little one?

 

We haven't really discussed it yet, but probably not. If she were a little bit older, I think it would be fine. As it is now, I think that it would just be a little too distracting for me. Plus, I want to have the same post-birth experience with this baby that I did with her- just me, DH, and baby resting together. DD is a wild, energetic little lady! The only time she is remotely serene is when she's asleep!

post #18 of 39
Thread Starter 

Do you have any other hobbies besides music? 

post #19 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodieanneanton View Post

Do you have any other hobbies besides music? 

Not many these days besides staying home with DD! I do toe reading, oracle card reading, and reflexology in addition to yoga. I used to paint and write but those things are on the back burner right now.
post #20 of 39

Where was your first daughter born (home, hospital)?

 

What are your plans this go?

 

What has your favorite snack been this pregnancy?

  Return Home
  Back to Forum: March 2013 Due Date Club
Mothering › Groups › March 2013 Due Date Club › Discussions › ~*~*~*~Spotlight on veganyogamomma!!~*~*~*~