or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Baby Health › Vaccinations › I'm Not Vaccinating › Pharma shills
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pharma shills - Page 2  

Poll Results: Do you think there are pharma shills on the vaccine forum?

 
  • 28% (12)
    yes - definitely!
  • 21% (9)
    maybe
  • 50% (21)
    no
  • 0% (0)
    other (ok, this one might require an explanation - be careful!)
42 Total Votes  
post #21 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post

If you read their posts on other sites, ie commenting on anti-vax blogs, facebook etc, they aren't spamming or trying to sell a product. They are very easy to spot because of the inflammatory content of their posts, no real arugements just insults. No one has said regular posters are pharma shills.

 

Wait... they actually pay people to leave random insults? What in the world is supposed to be the point of that?

post #22 of 58
I wouldn't describe the MDC vax forum, with all of its subforums, as "incredibly anti-vax."

This is very much a public venue viewable by pros, antis, in-betweens, and undecideds. This would be an optimal place to get a message out about vaccines. The pro-vaxxers wouldn't be here if they thought otherwise. But then, I can't confirm with any concrete certainty that there are shills lurking and posting...nor can any of you no-voters confirm that this forum is shill-free.
post #23 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post

I wouldn't describe the MDC vax forum, with all of its subforums, as "incredibly anti-vax."
This is very much a public venue viewable by pros, antis, in-betweens, and undecideds. This would be an optimal place to get a message out about vaccines. The pro-vaxxers wouldn't be here if they thought otherwise. But then, I can't confirm with any concrete certainty that there are shills lurking and posting...nor can any of you no-voters confirm that this forum is shill-free.

 

 

Just in this forum?  Because I started off in a DDC. 

 

Looks like there have been some votes already...

post #24 of 58
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey693 View Post

Why would pharma shills hang out a board that is incredibly anti vax?  If they were looking to boost profits they'd go hang out on baby center or just work on new ad campaigns.  It would be a huge waste of money for them to pay people to hang out here.

bolding mine…..

 

I am not saying I disagree with you, but (and to play devils advocate):

 

If you are a vaccine pharma shill, it may make sense to hang out here as there are people here who do not vax.  There is no point in hanging out at babycentre where there are few non-vaxxers to try and convert.  MDC was once (still is?) the biggest alternative parenting site on the web.   

 

If vaccine pharma shills exist at all, this would be fertile grounds.

post #25 of 58
By"here," yes, I mean this forum..with a pro-vax message.

Kathy didn't clarify until a later post, but it sounds like she intended for this poll to be in the non-vax support forum for a reason---namely, that it would be a support-only thread for non-vaxxers to talk amongst themselves. So most of us who voted shouldn't have. redface.gif It's not an unreasonable request to honor.
post #26 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post

By"here," yes, I mean this forum..with a pro-vax message.
Kathy didn't clarify until a later post, but it sounds like she intended for this poll to be in the non-vax support forum for a reason---namely, that it would be a support-only thread for non-vaxxers to talk amongst themselves. So most of us who voted shouldn't have. redface.gif It's not an unreasonable request to honor.

 

 

I think that alone is inflammatory.  I could post something similar in the other forum and it would then cause an issue.  I won't do that as it's not in the best interest of anyone.  And I'd like to  see how far this will go.  And NO, she did not say people in the middle could not vote. 

post #27 of 58
I don't think companies are really that concerned about converting people who have chosen not to vaccinate. They're such a tiny, tiny percentage of the overall population, what would be the point?

I mean are they already making plenty of money or not?
post #28 of 58
Thread Starter 
dbl post
post #29 of 58
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

I am not conducting a study, Rachel.  I am interested in the opinion of other non-vaxxers.  

 

I also do not want a shrill debate or finger pointing on the topic, hence why it is not in vaccine debate.  It is not an issue for debate - it is pretty much a yes/no/maybe question.

I am quoting myself to clarify.

 

I posted it here because:

 

a) I was mostly seeking the opinion/support of non-vaxxers.  

 

I am, on occasion, quite annoyed by statement of pro-vaxxers.  Anger, though, is a difficult emotion…and a misplaced one if the person I am angry with is a shill.  Shills are not worthy of one moment of my time.  So, I wanted to figure out if shills are here (ergo the poll, and I know full well when I posted it that everyone would vote).  I would also like to figure out how to identify a shill, which is a much more difficult thing to discuss (and could well end in a locked thread).  I think it is a problematic one as well, because what one person sees as simple love of western medicine or over-arguing out of frustrations, another might see as "shill".  It might be why the maybe vote has 4 votes out of 18.

 

That being said, threads have a mind of there own, and if this one is mostly populated by pro-vaxxers, so be it. 

 

b)  I did not want a shrill debate.  This is a support forum, and yes, I wanted the protection of that.

 

I do not care if pro, non, sel/delayed vote.  I don't control who votes, anyway.  I would prefer it , though, if people who have no real experience of the vax forums skip voting.  


Edited by kathymuggle - 12/6/12 at 10:57am
post #30 of 58

Well I know you don't want to debate but I think you got a good portion of people who do believe yes there are shills here or maybe it's a possibility.  That's quite obvious that it's a belief... it's been stated numerous times before. 

 

You know what... sure why not there could be shills here.  There could be people here who don't actually care about anything other than pushing an agenda.  Why not? 

 

I do believe you're directing this into violating UAV territory.  But who really cares at this point. 

post #31 of 58
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakcerka View Post

Well I know you don't want to debate but I think you got a good portion of people who do believe yes there are shills here or maybe it's a possibility.  That's quite obvious that it's a belief... it's been stated numerous times before

 

 

 

Sometimes controversial statements are made…but over and over again by the same people.

 

I wanted to figure out if many people thought there were shills here, or if it was just one or two people who thought there were shills here.

post #32 of 58

Done. 


Edited by Imakcerka - 12/6/12 at 11:44am
post #33 of 58
Imakerka, it's not about Kathy or what you think she's alluding to, and we're not talking about members or "certain people." Edit your post or I can delete it for you.
post #34 of 58
nm

Edited by Marnica - 12/6/12 at 12:05pm
post #35 of 58
Thread Starter 
nm 
post #36 of 58
Marnica, please don't quote UAVs.
post #37 of 58

Yes.

post #38 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaic View Post

Marnica, please don't quote UAVs.

Didn't realize it was - saw your post AFTER my own

post #39 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by pers View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post

If you read their posts on other sites, ie commenting on anti-vax blogs, facebook etc, they aren't spamming or trying to sell a product. They are very easy to spot because of the inflammatory content of their posts, no real arugements just insults. No one has said regular posters are pharma shills.

 

Wait... they actually pay people to leave random insults? What in the world is supposed to be the point of that?

They do indeed. It is to undermine antivax opinion leaders. This is well known, surprised you had no idea about it.

post #40 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

I don't think companies are really that concerned about converting people who have chosen not to vaccinate. They're such a tiny, tiny percentage of the overall population, what would be the point?

 

I don't think it's about converting anti-vax people, but to influence those who are re-thinking their pro-vax position or who are on the fence about vaccinating. 

 

MDC and social media sites like Facebook are great places for the minority to influence the majority. This is a problem for companies that want to keep people buying their products, whether it's vaccines or gmo-containing foods.

 

Witness the PR disaster that happened to Cheerios recently:

 

Cheerios’ Facebook Push Turns Into Major Fail

Facebook fans hit the 'rage' button on GMO

 

(But nevermind, General Mills fixed the app so that you can now only say nice things about Cheerios.)

 

Even the Pentagon thinks its worthwhile to create sock puppets to manipulate public opinion in other countries.

 

 

Revealed: US spy operation that manipulates social media

Military's 'sock puppet' software creates fake online identities to spread pro-American propaganda

 

Supposedly it's illegal for them to do that in the U.S. 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: I'm Not Vaccinating
This thread is locked  
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Baby Health › Vaccinations › I'm Not Vaccinating › Pharma shills