Virgin drinks are good too! My cousins are already coming up with virgin holiday concoctions in fancy glasses for me to drink so I don't feel 'left out'. lol. I've never heard of pasteurizing your own eggs?
Parenting supplies mentioned in this thread:
- productBefore Your Pregnancy: A 90-Day Guide for Couples on How to Prepare for a Healthy Conceptiontagged by Cynthia Mosher, 8/27/13
- productGentle Birth, Gentle Mothering: A Doctor's Guide to Natural Childbirth and Gentle Early Parenting Choicestagged by Cynthia Mosher, 8/27/13
- productGreat Expectations: Your All-in-One Resource for Pregnancy & Childbirthtagged by Cynthia Mosher, 8/27/13
Popular Group Discussions
Postpartum Exercise? 32 posts | Last post on December 4, 2013 at 10:48 am
Related Forum Threads
- vent about working while pregnant Last post on 8/26/13 at 11:51am in April 2014 Due Date Club
- In Labor or Warming up for Labor Thread... Last post on 8/4/13 at 5:34am in July 2013 Due Date Club
- Things never to ask a pregnant woman Last post on 6/8/13 at 10:42am in I'm Pregnant
- Welcome! Last post on 4/12/13 at 6:57am in October 2013 Due Date Club
- Infertility ONE Thread GRADUATES!!! - Summer 2012 Last post on 12/28/12 at 9:33pm in I'm Pregnant
Practical Principles for an Empowered Birth
Last edited: 9/11/13
- Empowered Birth: What is YOUR Story?Last edited: 9/4/13
- Has The Natural Birth Movement Become Too Obsessed With Moms'...Last edited: 9/3/13
- Just Because Someone Had A Bad Birth, Doesn't Mean Everybody...Last edited: 8/13/13
- Help! Advice for Turning a Breech Baby?Last edited: 8/7/13
wine during pregnancy - Page 2post #21 of 3012/13/12 at 8:36amThread Starterpost #22 of 3012/13/12 at 10:19am
With my previous pregnancy I "sipped" as mentioned above occasionally. My OB told me that it is fine to have a small drink from time to time but he would recommend waiitng until the 2nd trimester when the placenta is established.
I crave been and wine alot, been trying to figure what I might need from. I would say a drink (or sips in your case) are fine, especially in the 2nd trimester. The irony is what a cultural thing this really is! Stouts were actually made to be a "prenatal" of sorts to help mammas get the extras they needed in pregnancy. I don't see the big deal in anything under 4oz personally, but i wouldn't go out on a bender.
I'm more worried about fluride in my water sources than an occasional drink.
Sorry you have to be going through this mamma!post #23 of 3012/13/12 at 11:02amQuote:
Oh, LOL! Sorry to be unclear. It was store bought egg nog, not home made. The label indicates the egg used in the nog is pasteurized.post #24 of 3012/14/12 at 6:58am
Thankfully we raise our own chickens, so I'm comfortable with their raw eggs and make sure I use spotless clean, laid that very day eggs.
Before getting pregnant I'd have 3-4 raw eggs a week in smoothies, since getting pregnant I've had 1 egg nog, so thats been the only raw egg I've had since finding out.
Knowing what I do about store eggs I would NEVER, NEVER use raw store bought eggs.post #25 of 3012/18/12 at 8:38pm
Moderation is quite nesseccary and FIVE glasses a day is just WAY to much IMO. It's not the LEVELS of what the article states but that strictness isn't actually a good thing. The fermentation is a natural process and can be used a little. I can't drink right now and haven't been for a while, probably won't for a long time but I would have a glass here and there with my last 2. I don't think a 2 oz nip is going to hurt even every night (red only though i believe PP said) if you want to have something with meals or as a sleep aid. Unisom works for naseau and is a sleep aid if you want to try that first though. Personally there is a lot to be learned with what YOU are comfortable with. I am taking NARCOTICS every single day, quite a lot. My baby has been doing fantastic through it ALL, there are some things that you have to do, figure out what/why you have a tolerance/intolerance to it. There's no REASON for most people to be on the drug so, no i don't BELIEVE it's safe for ANYONE to take it, but in my case it works and has been safe. The most important thing I also believe is the first trimester. ALL the major organs are formed and basically the baby just grows from here on out, the risks are *significantly* reduced after the 1st tri.
post #26 of 3012/19/12 at 11:12ampost #27 of 3012/28/12 at 9:49am
The official line in Canada is that "alcohol in moderation is fine, but since we don't know exactly what the line between moderation and too much is (as it changes for each mama), it's better to err on the side of caution and not drink any alcohol at all."
I didn't find out I was pregnant until a few days after Canadian Thanksgiving. I had 14 people in our small apartment, cooked 10 dishes and started drinking at 10:30am :P Just wine, a glass at a time, but probably six glasses in 10 hours. I would never have classified myself as drunk (a little buzzed from time to time) and no-one was worried at all.
I've been craving beer something fierce this pregnancy -- the darker, the better. I've had a half glass a few times and it has totally hit the spot! That tiny bit of alcohol is so fantastically unlikely to cause any harm at all that I am perfectly comfortable with it. Saying a mama is irresponsible and selfish for having a glass of wine or beer is like saying she's irresponsible for crossing the road: OMG what if she gets hit by a car! She's putting her BABY at risk OH NOOOOOOO. Life is full of risk, and, at some point in time, a mama has to do her own research, make an informed decision, and do what she needs to do.post #28 of 3012/28/12 at 9:58am
I had two glasses of wine one night when I was about 10 weeks along or so. After that I have decided not to have any at all; only because for me it's hard to stop there. Especially when I am in the type of atmosphere I was in; I was at a friends birthday out-ting and EVERYONE was drinking soo much. Since that night I've decided I'd rather just not drink while I'm pregnant. But I my cousin's wife has a glass of wine a week or so and she is due next month.
I think it is wrong of people to judge and criticize others that way. I'm sorry about your friend, I hope that you are able to work it out with each other. 15 years is a long time.post #29 of 3012/28/12 at 11:23amQuote:Originally Posted by crazyeight
Moderation is quite nesseccary and FIVE glasses a day is just WAY to much IMO.
I am taking NARCOTICS every single day, quite a lot. My baby has been doing fantastic through it ALL, there are some things that you have to do, figure out what/why you have a tolerance/intolerance to it.
I just kind of assumed that they meant 5 drinks a week, but maybe that was not what they meant. For me, UNLESS I'm drinking those 5 glasses over the span of many many hours, 5 glasses of wine or beer would be categorized at binge drinking, and I definitely don't think THAT is ok during pregnancy.
I am curious about the narcotics you are on, if you don't mind my asking. What are they for? If that is too personal then feel free to just ignore me!
With my first daughter I used to "crave" sushi and white wine. (I'm reluctant to use the word "crave" in association with alcohol, because many people think that is indicative of a problem. The truth is, I only ever craved it in conjunction with the sushi, it was never just a craving for alcohol.) Anyhow, I indulged, in moderation. I would have one california roll topped with raw salmon, and a 4-5 oz glass of white wine. I did that maybe half a dozen times over the course of my pregnancy. Actually, I probably had sushi more than that, but the white wine was only half a dozen times. I also had a smaller glass of red wine on Christmas, and a half glass of Champagne on NYE.
This time I have poured myself small a glass of red wine on a few occasions and never end up having more than a few sips before passing it on to DH. I have recently had 3-4 oz of white wine on two separate occasions. I will probably have a glass of Champagne on NYE. I feel completely comfortable with all of this.post #30 of 3012/30/12 at 7:11pmThread StarterI've only had wine once since I posted this, I had about 2 oz of red with Christmas dinner and dh's family was fine with it. I honestly think that my diet coke consumption is more harmful than wine, but whatever. I used to drink a few cans a day, now it's only a few cans a week. My friend and I have since "agreed to disagree" but our friendship seems stressed. Her judgments are harsh words will be difficult to forget about.
- Empowered Birth: What is YOUR Story?
- › The Saner TTC and Graduates -- The Beaver Moon 27 minutes ago
- › Sewing projects for beginners (kids) 1 hour, 20 minutes ago
- › 4yo making family life miserable 1 hour, 32 minutes ago
- › My daughter keeps saying she will be dead 1 hour, 37 minutes ago
- › My Essential Oils Cheatsheet for Labor 1 hour, 46 minutes ago
- › Trying to figure this charting thing out:) 1 hour, 47 minutes ago
- › Queer, Pregnant & Parenting October, November & December 2013! 1 hour, 50 minutes ago
- › Please explain to me why.. 1 hour, 51 minutes ago
- › 2013 in 2013 1 hour, 51 minutes ago
- › The "Progressing / Positive / Impending / I'm in Labor" Thread 1 hour, 58 minutes ago
- › Diva Cup Diva Cup #2 Post Childbirth, Cup by Taqah
- › GroVia Cloth All In One - Pudge by Taqah
- › North American Bear Company Rosy Cheeks Baby Tan by Taqah
- › Maya Wrap Lightly Padded Baby Sling by Taqah
- › Bamboletta Doll by sleeping mama
- › Melissa & Doug Cutting Food Box by ahilal
- › Prince Lionheart Whirl Balance Scooter, Natural/Pink by Melanie Mayo
- › Elves and Angels Sylvie's Wood Kitchen by Melanie Mayo
- › Natural Earth Paints Face Paint by Melanie Mayo
- › Glob Greeting Card Collage Kit with Seedpaper by Melanie Mayo
- › To Santa or Not To Santa by JillVettel
- › Three Low Cost Holiday Gifts to Make with Kids by Monica S
- › Mothering with Mental Illness: The Natural... by OliviaHinebaugh
- › A Difficult Conversation by Melanie Mayo
- › Does Motherhood Matter Anymore? by Melanie Mayo
- › Terms and Conditions: Holiday Cards Giveaway... by Cynthia Mosher
- › Mothering's Natural Toy Guide 2013 by Monica S
- › Top 20 Toy Picks for 2013 | Mothering Natural... by Melanie Mayo
- › 21 Toys Under $21 | Mothering Natural Toy... by Melanie Mayo
- › Toys to Splurge On | Mothering Natural Toy... by Melanie Mayo