You realize how the kindergarten day looks like right?.. just to recap:
- kids do start school at 9ish and end at 3:30ish.. that is solid 6.5 hours.. take away half hour for lunch.. take away half hour for recess you still got 5 hours of sitting still!!!! at this desk or the other, regardless.. it is sitting still non the less and you can get in trouble or in his case on 3 out of 4 for no apparent reason as in .. turn around to ask a friend about something and he will be spoted by the teacher and voila! comes his 3.
- you realize that the 0.5 hour recess is all they get socializing wise? the lunch time is usually policed by one or two adults that basically yell every few minutes to be quiet, put the fingers on the mouth and not to talk and do eat eat eat.. they basically can not socialize freely becasue at this age means raising voices and so that is punished immediately..
- you know that they have BLOCKS of subjects.. usually 2 hour block of reading, writing, art, science.. language arts.. this type of things.. that means that an average 5 year old child has to maintain focus and concentration on ONE subject for 2 hours while the whole civilized world for ages had a 45 minute blocks of subject interlaced nicely with 10 minutes breaks that meant goigng outside, relaxing, socializing, getting resh air.. that type of thing..
- of course you know that they get boared because the teacher oftentimes do sits at the desk, replies to parents emails, organizes her work and chats online or what not.. while kids are tons of time left to their own devices and the only rule is don't move or you get in trouble..
- techers do love to plant kids at the centers to do focused stuff.. kids get boared out of their mind as at this age self study is not exactly that easy on a child, children in ohter countries enjoy teacher lead learning and they are talk to, interacted to and this is not happening at your kindergarten if you don't know.
- Kindergarten is NOT what it used to be. it is NOT play based, it is pure academics.. pushed pushed pushed..
- Oftentimes kids do not have any additional snack breaks aside from lunch that means long strach on low sugar.. or hugnry.
Having said that, ask sometimes to volounteer to be a class parent and do put yourself in the position of a lively 5 year old boy that still loves to move around and play and he can't do it when he is designed to do it and when he gets out of shcool he is too tired and too
overstimulated to even want to do anything..
I have spent few days helping in the classroom quietly doing my job observing kids learning teachers teaching and suffering the long boaring day. I don't have HDAD but I was so boared to death and the kids were so tired looking all of them that I was just amazed
how it can function that kids put up with this thing.
I think that considered that a young human was designed to roam freely at this tender age and basically learn by imitation for a million years and now that little thing is forced to seat still for hours at no end.. it is a miracle so many kids did not go nuts in the process..
You are wondering why he said he "hates school" I would be surprised if he loved it. The system simply is not child friendly nor child centered. It does not take into consideration child's needs for movement, for freedom, for play for breaks for socializing, for interaction for all that curiousity stuff..
So whats to love? I would say his reaction is as smart as he is himself. he is just smart kid and he has made an acurate assasement.
You can't and should not judge his assasement untill you spent a day in his shoes. Do ask if you can observe a class day once.. then form your opinion about the system not about a child.
Now and not to judge you because it is not a fault.. you might somewhat contributed to his misery. I know the urge to send a kid
to school well prepared.. overprepared.. that sounds like a great idea at first but you see how quickly it backfires. I red enough of that not to do that. I focused on developing smarts, general sensitivity to stuff.. curiousity for learning, exploring .. etc.. we worked on basic skills but I was careful not to overdo it, I myself was a kid who knew too much.. just like a good movie title "a kid who knew too much" hahaha.. so I used to be boared, I counted the lamps, the floor planks,the students, the paint flaws on the wall, I watched for hours
other kids patterns on their sweters as I usually knew too much and I had too much time and not to know what to do with it.
I would say that you should take him out and homeschool for another year. At first grade things get hairy, it gets very difficult very fast as kids have to learn new things in a short period of time and they throw that at them so quickly that it just gets them busy to
try to stay on the top. Kindergarten is a catch up time for all but first grade they march all right.. he would also have a year more
or half year to be exact to roam free, to enjoy his childhood.. and you could level with him and let him forget a bit...
and so he would have a better start :)
Do as you wish but frankly kindergarten is truly difficult on children and the age of 5 is year or two earlier then most of the world does.. so there is this conflict between a mind, a body and a need..