So I'm new to this whole infertility thing and have a few questions. First, I am 35 (36 in a month) and
I have a 7 year old from previous relationship. I am now married to the man of my dreams and we are ttc. Originally I thought, no problem, I'll have this within the first couple of tries because I'm known as what some might refer to as a "fertile myrtle," but I digress...that's for another forum. Anyway, I started tracking my cycles back in February 2012 and had 30-31 day long cycles and bled for approximately 5-7 days. I did that for a couple of months and then stopped. Since I was married in August, I started temping and charting and immediately noticed my cycles have decreased to 23-22 days and my bleed time is 3 days (no more, no less). This is dramatic drop. My luteal phase is also 9 days long which I think constitutes as a luteal phase defect. So, after 6 cycles of trying with temping and BDing around ovulation day with no success, I decided to see an OB/GYN. Of course, she immediately wanted to prescribe me Chlomid, which I'm not so keen on (I am not interested in carrying multiples whatsoever and I'm trying to go about this the most naturally way as possible). So I convinced the OB/GYN to order some lab tests for me (CD3 FSH, TSH and HSG, oh and a sperm analysis for my husband). All the tests were fine except my FSH which was 11.2. Now, everything I've read has been so doomsday and it is truly freaking me out. It seems I have no other options but egg donor insemination. Is 11.2 really that critically high? Am I truly perimenopausal? Also, I'm now being told that I'm on a ticking timeline because once my FSH reaches a higher number (15 or 20...I can't remember which) I will no longer be accepted as a patient for IUI and IVF. So of course, this now puts me in high drive to try and figure out what to do, and I'm devastated and at a loss. I should also mention that my husband has some male infertility factor as well (his motility is 34% and needs to be more than 50%). Currently he is taking supplements that we know can help with this issue. Anyway, in the meantime, I'm still tracking my cycles and we are bding up to 5 days before the suspected ovulation date and we also BD on the day after "just in case." We have even been using an Instead cup to help hold the semen inside, close to my cervix and then I have the big O to try and get my cervix to grab those suckers and bring them closer to the uterus. Who knows if it's working because this is our first cycle doing this. Anyone in a similar situation? I feel stuck between a rock and a hard place not knowing how to keep this experience as less medical as possible but also needing to figure out when I should bite the bullet and use the more extensive opportunities the medical community can offer. On a side note, I've also thought about at home ICI or IUI but have to gather more information on that.
Thanks for listening to my long ramble, I'm just starting and am overflowing with questions and in need of hearing that there some people who can relate. Mostly, I want to know if my high FSH and my DH's low sperm motility are enough to warrant us to full on jump into the medical side of ttc.
Thanks for hearing me out....any advice or personal stories of being able to relate will be much appreciated!
Edited by Iriemama - 12/20/12 at 4:21am