or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Birth and Beyond › VBAC › Is This a Bad Idea? Or Would It Burn Bridges?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is This a Bad Idea? Or Would It Burn Bridges?

post #1 of 4
Thread Starter 

I have been thinking about what the OB practice I have been seeing has said to me, WRT my having a VBAC, and while they claim(ed) to be friendly to VBAC, there's a lot of things that make me think they might not be as friendly as I thought.

 

At first appointment, were talking about pregnancy/birth history, and it came up that DS was 10 lbs 7 oz. The OB said that they do do VBAC, but that if New Baby is too big, we might have to reconsider, "Because there is a big difference between a 10 lb baby and an 11 lb baby."

 

At second appointment (different OB, it's practice of 4), she commented "VBACs are extremely high risk, but it's good that I have had a successful one already." and then, separately, "10 lbs isn't a baby, that's a toddler! Let's see if we can't have you a "normal" sized baby this time." and wanted me to do an early GTT because even though I had the GTT with DS, and (If I remember correctly, and DF thinks the same) the 3 hour one, and it came back negative, "You must have had undetected GD, and that's why he was so big." I'm no doctor, I have no medical training, but it seems like if I *had* had GD with DS, the 3 hour test would have come back positive. Plus, DF's family has history of large(r) babies, one of his cousins had a 13 lb baby right around the same time we had DD.

 

I have an appointment on the 28th, and I'm wondering if it wouldn't be a good idea just to ask them, point blank, if they are going to let me do a VBAC. Tell them that what they've told me thus far indicates that they *aren't* as VBAC friendly as they first implied/we first thought. I don't want to continue with their care if they aren't going to be supportive. Or would that burn bridges in case I don't have (m)any other options, or any viable ones?

 

Any advice?

post #2 of 4

My bet is that they would answer, essentially, "we'll know at 30-35 weeks."  If they determine you to have gd, or a bigger than 9-ish pound baby, you will not qualify, but, at any hospital, if you show up and the first nurse to check fetal heart tones can;t find the right angle to get a good read you also will not qualify.  Sadly, given how many rules  and red tape you have to pass, its not a question they can answer definatively.  I would try to find a practice with a more positive perspective on the "big" baby issue (10lbs isn;t all that big, at least i  my cirle of friends), and look at birth center or homebirth options in your area, before the next appointment.  Find out what kind of choices you have before you challe nge anything they say ( and if you stay long term, you will totally have to challenge the "big" baby line and rhe gd worries, IMO). 

post #3 of 4
I personally would not choose a practice that's afraid of big babies because I have big babies (my first dd was a cs for 'CPD' at 9.15, my vbac twins were over 8lbs each).

I'd look for someone more supportive without letting the first practice know. Or, don't fight them now, but at the end refuse their 'recommendation' for RCS/induction if there are not more supportive options. Just make sure that you have support through ICAN, doulas, family, etc. to battle at the end.
post #4 of 4

Having a VBAC is a long process. I went through 4 OBs before finding one I was confident that she wasn't just giving me lip service. The first out told me he would not. The second told me she would but spent our three visits telling me of all the dangers and possible tragedies. When I asked her point blank about her feelings she got upset with my asking too many questions. And like mentioned before gave me the line about waiting until weeks 30. My gut told me to run. The 3rd OB was amazing but his practice was very far, and I didn't like the hospital reviews. I finally found the best OB ever. She didn't take insurance directly but the hospital did and we submitted all of the visit expenses to our insurance. I did have GD, so she set me up with a great service for monitoring my diet and blood sugar levels. And when I went past my date like I did with my first she didn't panic. We finally set a deadline for induction. She was gentle the whole way, taking three days to fully induce me so that my body took over and once we finally got labor started there was no need for anything. She made the analogy of getting a car to turn over. In the end my vbac ended in a C-section. But I lknow that it was completly my choice. I felt like she was stuck and couldn't get her to shift. But the whole experience was vastly different than the first. She had me out and breast feeding fairly quick and I wasn't groggy becasue her gentle hand only medicated me with what I needed. It's about following your gut. It's work but its so worth finding the right caregiver not medical practitioner. Good Luck! 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: VBAC
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Birth and Beyond › VBAC › Is This a Bad Idea? Or Would It Burn Bridges?