or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Frugality & Finances › ~~~~2013 Low Income Support Thread~~~~
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

~~~~2013 Low Income Support Thread~~~~ - Page 34

post #661 of 1405

gabbyraja, there is a similar savings program in my area but problem is I need to get the money for classes now, not in the future. I only have 1 more class to take for my teaching license.

 

 

http://www.picaheadstart.org/eligibility.html so I had a thought maybe dd will qualify for headstart once I lose spousal support and if I am only making 10$ an hour, wrong oh wrong 19,xxx for a family of 3! I will be getting just about 13800$ from child support a year, so I guess any job I get will totally knock me over the 19K threshold unless it is just 4-5 hours a day. Well back to the drawing board on that one. I do believe xdh will end up paying closer to 70% of childcare, maybe more, it is based on income and we went over the figures while at a divorce meeting and that is what it would have been at my income of 30K and his at 100000K. He did try to fight on that tidbit during the divorce, he wanted it worde 50/50 along with copays, he finally gave in and went with 50/50 on the copays and income based on childcare. But the issue I ran into last time  when I attempted a job and it laste 3 lousy days was since I am the only enrolling them and going back to work all this time, I have to shell out the money, and I will need to get the child support modified to get the childcare reimbursed. Ex was totally against me working and never gave me a dime for that. So when it comes to paying for daycare I will have to go back to court when the time comes. He will, give money for fun things but he pretty much said he will make it difficult as possible and will not help me out at all as far as keeping the kids any(even just dropping them off at a daycare) in the mornings etc, most especially while I am getting spousal support. Because my working will cost him more money, he is against it totally. Of course we both did want me to sahm until the kids were school age as well, so that is part of his issue. And mine too, much rather stay home with dd as long as I can financially.

post #662 of 1405

I understand. I wanted to go back now, too, but... I have to wait as I simply can't afford it otherwise.Besides, I do want to stay home and do homeschooling with the kiddos, and the youngest is only 2, so... It'll be a while until I need to use a Master's degree anyway...

Dh makes just over $20,000/yr for a family of 7.
 

post #663 of 1405

Gabbyraja - no low income property tax break here - I have all the possible exemptions and it's still nearly $800 a year. I really shouldn't complain though - becaue we bought our home so cheaply the taxes are very reasonable {well all except the $300 for school taxes for schools we will never use :( } Our area has the savings accounts to buy homes, a car to get to work, or to go to school, but the rules are so restrictive that few use it. Like if you are buying a home, it must be valued at at least $90K, and can't be a repo, etc - pretty much has to be a new build to qualify. Which makes NO sense to me when you can buy nice homes here that are HUD repos for less than $50K. Cars must be bought from a dealer & cna't be a used car - must be less than 3 years old. Again - WHY? I get they are trying to protect their investment, but when they only will match up to $25K for a house {buyer puts in $5k, they match $4 for every $1}, it's not much help with those rules, KWIM?

 

 

So glad to have water back - finally beginning to get caught up on dishes & laundry. Need to take some big stuff to the coin laundry though as it's too big for my machine. Debating selling some of the big comforters that are too big for my machine - we only use them in the coldest of winter, so I'm not sure it's cost effective. Right now I can't sell anything though my my PC issues - we've isolated it to the memory in the laptop, but are stuck there. Might take it in to one fo the free pc checkup services to see what they say.

 

Currently waiting to get paid, praying they don't shut our water off. Trying to decide if I should go somewhere to try to get aid with it tomorrow & chance someone taking the check out of the box, or just stay home & wait for the check & then pay it if it comes. I dunno. Probably will just stay home I think - don't want to risk losing the check.

post #664 of 1405

frugalmama, that sucks that you have to worry about whether your check will be stolen. 

 

Not much going on here.  Trying to get back into the baking rhythm.  Keeping up with free sites to try to acquire a few needs.  Grateful the bills are paid and this next check will finally enable us to get ahead just a little bit. 

post #665 of 1405

Just a homeschooling freebie to share.  I was looking at the highlights website, because I keep hearing about "which way usa" and wanted to see how much the bookclub was.  Anyway, while just browsing the site I found a page called "teachers toolbox" It has puzzle pages you can print, plus a list of craft ideas to do throughout the year.  Once I get my printer ink I am going to print some out for my daughter.  As far as highlights clubs and magazines if we have the money we may try it out next year. 

post #666 of 1405
Almost out of gas in the van so won't be going anywhere but work and home for next 3 days. Cell is still on until Friday. Will be a week without a phone and then getting the straight talk one. All is okay here. I have enough food to last until Friday.
post #667 of 1405

Court tomorrow, round 2.  I'll be glad when it's over.  

 

I'm just counting down the days until school at this point.  It's not even because my kids are driving me nuts.  It's just because there are so many things up in the air about job, daycare, kindergarten, etc that I have massive anxiety about how it's all going to fall into place.  It's just so hard to sit back and trust that I'll figure it all out.

 

Seems like my kids are eating everything in sight, especially the younger two.  Growth spurts maybe?  I have no idea but it seems like all I do is make food, serve food, and wash dishes.  All.day.long.  For lunch today my 5 year old consumed a handful of raw broccoli, another handful of garden green beans(both ADULT handfuls), and a wheat tortilla smeared with peanut butter and jelly.  20minutes later she ate a banana.  Then it was a full container of blueberries.  Right after that she had a handful of honey wheat pretzels.  Then she cried hunger and begged for an apple and I had to shut her off and tell her that she would be eating dinner in an hour and a half and daddy would be upset with her if she didn't so she needed to stop eating.  And she was UPSET.  She told me several times ove rthe next 10minutes until he picked her up how hungry she was and how mean I was being.  irked.gif  At least it's not junk food I guess right?  And I wonder why $446 doesn't go as far at the grocery store as it used to every month.

post #668 of 1405
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmama View Post

Court tomorrow, round 2.  I'll be glad when it's over.  

 

I'm just counting down the days until school at this point.  It's not even because my kids are driving me nuts.  It's just because there are so many things up in the air about job, daycare, kindergarten, etc that I have massive anxiety about how it's all going to fall into place.  It's just so hard to sit back and trust that I'll figure it all out.

 

Seems like my kids are eating everything in sight, especially the younger two.  Growth spurts maybe?  I have no idea but it seems like all I do is make food, serve food, and wash dishes.  All.day.long.  For lunch today my 5 year old consumed a handful of raw broccoli, another handful of garden green beans(both ADULT handfuls), and a wheat tortilla smeared with peanut butter and jelly.  20minutes later she ate a banana.  Then it was a full container of blueberries.  Right after that she had a handful of honey wheat pretzels.  Then she cried hunger and begged for an apple and I had to shut her off and tell her that she would be eating dinner in an hour and a half and daddy would be upset with her if she didn't so she needed to stop eating.  And she was UPSET.  She told me several times ove rthe next 10minutes until he picked her up how hungry she was and how mean I was being.  irked.gif  At least it's not junk food I guess right?  And I wonder why $446 doesn't go as far at the grocery store as it used to every month.

justmama there is just something about blueberries LOL. My ds will polish off a container if I am not looking. Funny I used to buy 3-4 containers at a time and freeze them a few years ago and make blueberry muffins down the road. I keep buying 2 cartons of blueberries, but ds eats them all before I get around to making muffins or freezing them! Dd is the same way only she devours strawberries. My kids do get junk food, but they are no strangers to fresh fruits and veggies! 

post #669 of 1405

awww, the fruit eating monsters.  Thank goodness for aldis.  Its the only way we can keep up with the demand, seriously. 

 

I think I found some shoes for dd. I found a lady online selling a couple nice fall pairs, in her size, for sixteen dollars after shipping.  At least that's one less worry for now.

 

I have been so stressed lately, ladies.  Burnt out from the kids, we had all that stress this past month with the finances and the nephews birthday, etc.  And now I've had a blow out with my older sister and she's being a drama queen about it.  I'm done with this month.  I need a vacation, or at least a date night, but I don't have a lot of extra money or the babysitter for that. 

 

I need to roast a chicken tonight, and maybe I'll throw some rice in the rice cooker, but I'm just not feeling like doing much of anything.  Thankfully there are leftovers for the kids.  And we are out of sugar because I accidentally overbought on flour and underbought sugar, lol.  Tomorrow I'm experimenting on how to sub maple syrup in my pumpkin muffin recipe.  I think it will taste pretty yummy considering, but I'm just worried I won't get the ratio right. 

post #670 of 1405

I got my food stamps this week.  I am struggling with being embarrassed/ashamed that I need them and feeling completely thrilled that I have full cupboards and fridge without having to panic about paying for it.  I had a high balance because I got approved last month, but didn't get the card until this month so I had a double balance in there and it felt so good to stock up-though I couldn't even watch the total on the screen as the cashier was ringing it all up, I knew the total was going to be high and it made me nervous!

 

Since I am still going to be struggling to pay the rent this month, let alone any other bills, I am incredibly grateful that I got this help for now. 

 

I also was approved for Medicaid.  I couldn't keep my kids' regular doctor, unfortunately, but I found another one who comes highly recommended by the "crunchy" set around here, so hopefully it'll be okay.  I'm going to keep checking back to see if my regular provider is accepting new patients, so maybe we'll get in with them before it even becomes an issue.  Again, so very grateful to not have to worry about this expense right now. 

 

I'm hoping next month will be better now that we have so many less expenses for food, health coverage, and hopefully I will actually get some child support next month as well. 

post #671 of 1405

Sigh. Don't even know what to write. I havent been on posting bc I've been so depressed. My BF is leaving me bc he doesn't want the responsibility of having a baby with me. So, now I'll be a single mom of 4. I can't even describe the sadness I feel, and how disappointed I am in how selfish he is. I'm currently searching for a therapist. 

On a good note, my mom took all 3 of my kids and I shopping for school stuff! I had already managed to buy backpacks, etc., but she bought all the kids a new pair of shoes and a few outfits each! I am soooo grateful for it. Then she even took us all out to dinner :-)

I'm broke, single, sad, hurt, and disappointed..... and just basically feeling bad for myself now though. Not really sure how I'm going to have 3 kids, a newborn, hold down a (hopefully) full time job, be sane, keep a house neat, pay bills, etc. I'm just so tired of being poor, and everything being so hard, and constantly being let down by this asshole.

post #672 of 1405
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlandmum View Post

Sigh. Don't even know what to write. I havent been on posting bc I've been so depressed. My BF is leaving me bc he doesn't want the responsibility of having a baby with me. So, now I'll be a single mom of 4. I can't even describe the sadness I feel, and how disappointed I am in how selfish he is. I'm currently searching for a therapist. 

On a good note, my mom took all 3 of my kids and I shopping for school stuff! I had already managed to buy backpacks, etc., but she bought all the kids a new pair of shoes and a few outfits each! I am soooo grateful for it. Then she even took us all out to dinner :-)

I'm broke, single, sad, hurt, and disappointed..... and just basically feeling bad for myself now though. Not really sure how I'm going to have 3 kids, a newborn, hold down a (hopefully) full time job, be sane, keep a house neat, pay bills, etc. I'm just so tired of being poor, and everything being so hard, and constantly being let down by this asshole.


greensad.gif hug2.gif

 

(Even though I'm not a member of this group, I could not read this post and not respond.)

post #673 of 1405

Oh, highlandmum, that sucks.  You're a strong mom and you'll make it through.  But run from this guy if this is a pattern!  You dont need that kind of drama in your life!

 

Pumpkin muffins turned out delicious with a half maple syrup/half honey sweetener.  I'll probably make it again tomorrow.  Getting my daughter shoes so that's one less stress in my life.  Stock is in the crockpot and some frozen stock is on the stove for our dinner of chicken and rice tonight. 

post #674 of 1405
Thread Starter 

Im still here.  Been subbing,  have 3 days this week, had 2 days last week.  Put electric and cable/internet on post dated checks for payments.  They still will not clear but at least it buys me a bit of time to work some type of miracle.  Not in a good mood.  Been crocheting to try to stay calm.   *sorry for the grammar issues..

post #675 of 1405
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlandmum View Post

Sigh. Don't even know what to write. I havent been on posting bc I've been so depressed. My BF is leaving me bc he doesn't want the responsibility of having a baby with me. So, now I'll be a single mom of 4. I can't even describe the sadness I feel, and how disappointed I am in how selfish he is. I'm currently searching for a therapist. 

On a good note, my mom took all 3 of my kids and I shopping for school stuff! I had already managed to buy backpacks, etc., but she bought all the kids a new pair of shoes and a few outfits each! I am soooo grateful for it. Then she even took us all out to dinner :-)

I'm broke, single, sad, hurt, and disappointed..... and just basically feeling bad for myself now though. Not really sure how I'm going to have 3 kids, a newborn, hold down a (hopefully) full time job, be sane, keep a house neat, pay bills, etc. I'm just so tired of being poor, and everything being so hard, and constantly being let down by this asshole.

As much as this hurts, you are better off without this guy if he's not going to care for you and the children.  I know you probably can't feel it right now though.  It's so hard.  I've been there.  My husband left me when I was 12 weeks pregnant with 2 young children already here to care for.  I ended up waitressing double shifts and leaving the kids with him while I did it so I didn't use daycare.  We barely ate things were so bad.  But we did make it.  And I was dumb enough to continue to date him on and off over the last 5 years.  I finally learned my lesson and he was kicked to the curb.  He never changed.  He's selfish, he's narcissistic, he is not supportive, etc.  It's all about him.  It's all about how things are an inconvenience for him.  I never matter.  And I basically get no say in anything because I don't work and make my own money.  All that matters is money.  Apparently I'm not on the same playing field as he is.  And you don't want a relationship like that.  Someone who views his baby as an inconvenience and a burden doesn't need to have a place in your life.  He's not going to treat you like an equal and be the partner and parent you want to deal with for the rest of your life.  Believe me.  I've dealt with mine for 9 years now.  All he did was break my heart and crush my soul, repeatedly.  You'll get through.  Somehow things will work out.  Don't let him dictate the rest of your life.  

 

 

 

Court went well today.  Big increase in child support, no funny business.  Took ALL.DAMN.DAY. but it was worth it.  I went to sign up for that class at the community college and pray that I could pull $705 out of my butthole.  Turns out I have a balance of $1155.00 from FALL 2004!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  WHAT?????????  I guess what must have happened is that I signed up for classes when i finished the spring session and forgot about it.  I realized in June that I was pregnant and by July I was married and living in NC.  I guess it slipped my mind and I never attended classes and no one ever contacted me about the balance and it never showed up on my credit report.  So I can't take this class unless I pay the balance which I obviously don't have.  So I'm trying a "tuition appeal" with the college and PRAYING that since I can prove I was married before the semester started and living in NC then and then I have my daughter's birth cert from Jan 2005 in the state of NC that I can prove that I was unable to attend and they'll waive the balance so I can take the class.  Otherwise if they turn it down since I could have withdrew online I pretty much am screwed and have a large bill to pay and no credit card or anything to put it on.  *sigh*  If it's not one thing it's another huh?  I don't even remember ever registering for those classes but I'm guessing I must have since the pregnancy was a total shock and completely unplanned.  We weren't even dating.  He was an exbf who was between military bases who stayed with me for a few wonderful weeks and we rekindled things.  I guess I was such a hot mess from the unplanned pregnancy, the 750mile move, the trial by fire as a military wife, and the brand new marriage that I forgot to withdraw from school.  angry.gif  It's pretty ridiculous that no one ever contacted me about the bill or sent anything to my parents' home(which is my address on file at the college).  Sucks how things like that can come back and bite you 9 years later.

post #676 of 1405

Wise words justmama, though I'm sorry things have turned out crappy again with the ex.  Glad about the child support though.   Try not to worry too much about the school balance.  I haven't been there myself but I've known others that have and usually as long as you weren't out to try to get money and never attempt to attend classes, they forgive things.  Especially since its such a small amt in your case to be forgiven. 

 

We have had a pretty nice day.  The weather is turning to fall already, and I LOVE fall.  We made dog treats for all the doggie friends in our neighborhood.  It was nice to be able to warm another's heart with a little gesture.  It was nice to make a memory with my little ones too.  They've been playing off and on outside and will until dark.  Right now they are dumping blocks onto the pavement with another boy.  Oh, and having some extra money so I know we can stock up on some bulk food, buy dd some shoes, and maybe buy a few small items on our "to get" list is just the icing on the cake.  I noticed that dd's toes are poking out of her sandals today...stop growing kid!

post #677 of 1405
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenemami View Post

I got my food stamps this week.  I am struggling with being embarrassed/ashamed that I need them and feeling completely thrilled that I have full cupboards and fridge without having to panic about paying for it.  I had a high balance because I got approved last month, but didn't get the card until this month so I had a double balance in there and it felt so good to stock up-though I couldn't even watch the total on the screen as the cashier was ringing it all up, I knew the total was going to be high and it made me nervous!

 

Since I am still going to be struggling to pay the rent this month, let alone any other bills, I am incredibly grateful that I got this help for now. 

 

I also was approved for Medicaid.  I couldn't keep my kids' regular doctor, unfortunately, but I found another one who comes highly recommended by the "crunchy" set around here, so hopefully it'll be okay.  I'm going to keep checking back to see if my regular provider is accepting new patients, so maybe we'll get in with them before it even becomes an issue.  Again, so very grateful to not have to worry about this expense right now. 

 

I'm hoping next month will be better now that we have so many less expenses for food, health coverage, and hopefully I will actually get some child support next month as well. 

I haven't needed to go for assistance or would probably qualify, but when I was on wic I had that weird 'embarrassed' issue. I so know the feeling.

 

I am grateful my ex pays support, at times it has ben 1 week late, but he does pay it. 

 

so a few good things here: my dental plan I cancelled a couple weeks ago, it went through and they refunded me the last months premium, so that is almost 40$ back in the bank. 

 

And eventhough there is semi drama between ex and I, he asked if I would clean his place for a couple hours and I did. Made 40$, maybe it is dysfunctional, but Idc and the money is going to help me and the kids out in the long run. I told him that I will clean it 1 hour a week when I drop DD off on his day with the kids for 20$. Morbid and against what I should be doing by distancing myself from him, but with limited time to get side jobs this little extra money will come in handy and there are alot worse things I could do to make money than clean my ex's place so the kids second home is not dirty all the time. bag.gif

 

Bank account is down again, 470$ to live on in there and need to pay 1 more bill for the month. I do have cash about 85$, I keep trying to save for the holidays/gifts etc, but keep dipping into it when I need the cash like last week I used 40$ for my alid's run. This week I will probably do the same. I have been using cash for aldi's and my CC for non alidi's groceries and gas since I had to use my savings for classes. 

post #678 of 1405
Things are bad here. Can't wait until Monday for food stamps. Been working alot so at least next check will be decent I hope.
post #679 of 1405

Well, the credit card is paid and the electric bill too, and my daughter got some shoes.  We'll have some money for bulk goods.  But I was hoping to have a bit more in free money for a few other things.  Isn't that always the case though?  I had hubby get me chalk board paint for a table I've been wanting to paint for a while, but now I'm contemplating returning the supplies so we can use it for other things.  Ugh.  Doesn't help that we overdrafted because medicaid took the children's premium out two days early and that was an extra 25 bucks.  That could have paid for the chalkboard supplies and then some, grrrr...

post #680 of 1405
Thread Starter 

Not feeling well, not doing well.  Several days of therapy this week and no way to pay for it all.  My balance is growing and I have no idea how to pay the person. (switching providers is not an option).  Thought I was going to be subbing and now my life gets turned upside down and the simple task of getting out of the house is too much.  Tissues please??

I have to put my life back to gether again because I need to work - next week, no other options.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Frugality & Finances
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Frugality & Finances › ~~~~2013 Low Income Support Thread~~~~