I had my first appt with a group of CNMs in my area. I used them for my last pregnancy, and I was really happy with their care. When I went back today, they had expanded significantly and now have 5 midwives instead of 2. The midwife I talked to was a bit concerned about my dates since I haven't had a period since before DS1. I was charting, so I am 100% sure of the conception date, but DH said she looked a bit skeptical when I told her that. When she examined me, she said either I had a retroverted uterus and amazing abs (both of which are true), or I am way off on my dates. She wanted me to get an ultrasound, which I agreed to, since now I was nervous. We went to the OB's office and got the ultrasound; everything measured perfectly, the hb was 172, and they said I was right on for my guess date. So there! I was so relieved to hear and see the little one's heartbeat. But it made for along and stressful day running around town with DH and DS.
Recent Images In This Thread
- topicChoosing A Midwifetagged by Cynthia Mosher, 5/17/13
- topicPaying Your Midwifetagged by Cynthia Mosher, 5/17/13
- categoryPregnancy Birth Bookstagged by Cynthia Mosher, 5/17/13
- topicPregnancy Questionstagged by Cynthia Mosher, 5/17/13
- topicPregnancy Week By Weektagged by Cynthia Mosher, 5/17/13
- brandRight At Home Midwiferytagged by Cynthia Mosher, 5/17/13
- productSpiritual Midwiferytagged by Cynthia Mosher, 5/17/13
Popular Group Discussions
All done or more kids? 23 posts | Last post on November 24, 2013 at 2:19 pm
Related Forum Threads
- Midwives in Birmingham al and surrounding areas Last post on 10/22/13 at 9:10am in Midwives
- Midwife help please Last post on 10/8/13 at 7:51am in Midwives
- Queer, Pregnant, and Parenting--February and March 2013! Last post on 4/1/13 at 7:11pm in Queer Parenting
- Certified Professional Midwives in Connecticut Last post on 1/8/13 at 11:37am in Midwives
- How are you feeling? Last post on 9/21/13 at 9:19am in September 2013 Due Date Club
Gurmukh's Postpartum Wisdom
Last edited: 8/9/13
- Chinese Gender Prediction for Baby: How accurate is it?Last edited: 8/5/13
- Interview with a Midwife: Diet, Supplements, and PregnancyLast edited: 11/25/13
- Breech Birth: Why Can't Women Have it Their Way?Last edited: 10/30/13
- Why It Was So Hard to Say Goodbye to My MidwifeLast edited: 9/5/13
Appointment Results/Updates - Page 15post #281 of 6852/12/13 at 3:50pmpost #282 of 6852/12/13 at 7:37pmintownmom, my uterus is retroverted too and hard to feel; the NP I saw was also skeptical that I knew my dates were firm--surprising how many HCPs don't understand charting and treat the menstrual cycle like a big mystery. Glad you got reassurance w/the US!
Thanks to all who responded to my post above, and glad for everyone getting good news at their appointments.post #283 of 6852/12/13 at 9:27pmpost #284 of 6852/12/13 at 10:16pm
Go for it! I know of women in the past being in two groups if their EDD was close to the month end or beginning.Quote:Originally Posted by sarahl918
Back from our first ultrasound and SO ECSTATIC to report our little baby had a strong heartbeat of 160bpm!
This is quite a milestone for us, one we never reached the first time, so it was a big, big moment. I couldn't look at the monitor I was so nervous but when I did I started crying instantly. The doctor said everything looks perfectly healthy. Here's a pic:
I am measuring a few days behind (6w4d, thought I was 7w2d), but this early I know there is room for error. This would put my due date at 10/3 so I guess I may be in the wrong DDC, but since I'm right on the border so I might stick around if that's alright with you ladies!post #285 of 6852/13/13 at 11:01amintownmom: I too have experience the HCP mindset of "You couldn't possibly know your due date without an ultrasound". It's so frustrating! This pregnancy at my first doctor's appointment I learned from last pregnancy and refused to give them the date of my LMP, just gave them my ovulation date. So they had no choice but to accept my dates Thankfully my main doctor and the backup doctor we sometimes see have both learned not to try to argue with me - they learned their lesson when discussing vaccines with me So she just said - "Well, then I'm putting your LMP as Dec 1" (14 days prior to Dec 15th ovulation) and I said that's just fine, let's go with that Sometimes what they don't know just makes life easier!
Of course now I'm still almost 2 weeks to my first ultrasound and I'm kind of wishing I'd caved and gotten an early ultrasound so I could have seen the bean by now.. but oh well
ETA: Oh, on that note, I got a date for my first ultrasound! It is February 26th, I'll be 12w4d. I can't wait!post #286 of 6852/13/13 at 4:22pmpost #287 of 6852/13/13 at 4:42pm
i had my first OB appointment today. it is exciting to feel like we are close to "graduating" from the fertility clinic and into the world of normal pregnant people. the OB was fine. my wife liked her more than i did, but i am kind of hateful toward all medical professionals. the doc was totally fine with declining the pap smear + said they wouldn't force us to induce early (a major fear of mine, with twins). she picked up one heartbeat at 175, but couldn't find the second one. i have my standing ultrasound appt at the fertility clinic tomorrow so we can confirm both twinz are OK, but i am not feeling anxious about not finding the second heartbeat. we are 10w5d, so it is pretty early and i know they are on top of each other.
I can't believe how many doctors fight people about the LMP/EDD. it seems kind of unreasonable to tell a woman (who you don't regularly treat) that you know more about their ovulation patterns than they do. i guess their lowest common denominator is people who have no idea how their bodies work but some of us do.post #288 of 6852/13/13 at 5:37pm
We had our 3rd ultrasound today at the fertility clinic. Baby caught up by a day and is now only 4 days behind. Heart beat was 168 and we got to listen to it twice, which was awesome. Gestational sac is still measuring small which really freaks me out but I am trying to just trust and have faith that baby will be okay. We were finally released into the real world so my first OB appointment is next Wednesday. Not sure if they will do an u/s at that point but it seems likely since my gestational sac has been so small. We chose a midwife group of 5 and will consider switching to a home birth midwife toward the end of pregnancy if everything is going well.post #289 of 6852/13/13 at 7:33pmpost #290 of 6852/13/13 at 10:07pmpost #291 of 6852/14/13 at 4:16amI know a few people have mentioned not being able to pick up the heartbeat on Doppler. With my son, I was 15 weeks and my OB still had trouble, because of his position. She actually ended up doing a quickie ultrasound to check and we also peeked at his parts so we knew really early he was a boy.
I know it's hard, but try not to worry if the Doppler is still not able to pick up baby.post #292 of 6852/14/13 at 10:07am
freckledmama - that is a good point. position & placenta can really affect how well you can hear the heartbeat. hearing the heartbeat with a doppler is a quick and easy way to be reassured but not hearing it doesn't mean there's anything wrong.
we had our regular ultrasound today, and as i suspected, everything is fine with Thing 1 & Thing 2. healthy heartbeats, growth is measuring on track, and omg this week they are flipping around like little dolphins in there. they were sleeping at the beginning and the doctor told me to give a "strong cough" to wake them up. fake coughing is so stupid, so i started cracking up. and it turns out my giggling wakes up the babies!!! they started dancing around and it was really cute. i mean, i know i said this when they wiggled for the first time, but seeing our fetii doing dolphin flips was the cutest thing ever. then i would stop giggling and they would settle down. then i would laugh again, and they would flip out all over again. i laugh A LOT, so they probably get woken up frequently.post #293 of 6852/14/13 at 10:16ampost #294 of 6852/14/13 at 10:56am
I have my first appointment tonight. The last snow storm took out my mailbox so I will have to go early to pick up the papers I should have already filled out My last first appointment started about the same so maybe that is a good sign.
I'm nervous since I don't have too many symptoms especially compared to my last two pregnancies, and today is only 8w6d so I don't know if my midwife will even try to check hb. This is prob why I'm here when I should be prepping for a meeting.
Now I have to go sit in a work meeting till its time to leave for my appointment...yep, I can just guess how much I'll be paying attention <insert oye face of your choice here-I couldn't pick one>
Update: Appt went well. My midwife thought I might be further along than I thought so we did try the doppler but didn't have any success. Took lots of vials of blood (seriously, like 15- much more than I remember from last time) and some urine. I will have to wait till my next appt in March to hear the heartbeat-pooie! Oh well, hope everyone else is doing well this morning :-)
Edited by virogirl - 2/15/13 at 5:16ampost #295 of 6852/15/13 at 11:43ampost #296 of 6852/17/13 at 7:01pm
I did the doppler on Feb 6. We heard the HB and it was cool. I didn't research it before and I don't know if I would have used it if I had. I'm not sure about having u/s. My 19 week u/s is not until March, so I have a while to decide. My SO wants to see the baby, but idk if I want to put myself and baby through it. Any opinions about ultrasounds and the effects on our and our babies bodies?post #297 of 6852/17/13 at 8:14pmQuote:Originally Posted by MamaMash
I had my second appointment today. He initially tried to find the heartbeat with the Doppler but couldn't. So we did a quick ultrasound. Everything is looking good. I'm 11 weeks and the baby is measuring at 12 weeks. I'm positive on my dates so this baby is just growing fast.
I'm wondering if we'll even hear it this week at our quick 10-min drop in to try for the heartbeat again. I'll be 11w3d.post #298 of 6852/18/13 at 6:28ampost #299 of 6852/18/13 at 8:01ampost #300 of 6852/18/13 at 8:26am
- Chinese Gender Prediction for Baby: How accurate is it?
- › I can only be ME... Allow me to introduce myself.. 13 minutes ago
- › Diva cup insertion problems 31 minutes ago
- › advice please - dh strict & controlling attitude 32 minutes ago
- › ~*~ The TTC ONE Thread ~*~ December 2013 1 hour, 5 minutes ago
- › Do you Hula Hoop or Want to Learn? 1 hour, 6 minutes ago
- › DP says no presents--just coal in stockings this year! 1 hour, 43 minutes ago
- › Social anxiety disorder in 3 yo 1 hour, 50 minutes ago
- › Into the 2nd Trimester! 1 hour, 58 minutes ago
- › The Saner TTC and Graduates -- The Beaver Moon 2 hours, 1 minute ago
- › Plus Size and Pregnant 2 hours, 4 minutes ago
- › The Diaper-Free Baby: The Natural Toilet Training Alternative by Fembot
- › The Snow Queen by Astraia
- › The Polar Express by Alyssa Eisner
- › The Night Before Christmas by 1love4ever
- › The Snowy Day by janonia
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by Melanie Mayo
- › Christmas in the Big Woods by Melanie Mayo
- › Diva Cup Diva Cup #2 Post Childbirth, Cup by Taqah
- › GroVia Cloth All In One - Pudge by Taqah
- › North American Bear Company Rosy Cheeks Baby Tan by Taqah
- › Holiday Books Giveaway Rules by Melanie Mayo
- › Developmental Milestones to Marvel At by Marcy Axness
- › 15 Fun and Enchanting Holiday Tales for Children by Melanie Mayo
- › To Santa or Not To Santa by JillVettel
- › Three Low Cost Holiday Gifts to Make with Kids by Monica S
- › Mothering with Mental Illness: The Natural... by OliviaHinebaugh
- › A Difficult Conversation by Melanie Mayo
- › Does Motherhood Matter Anymore? by Melanie Mayo
- › Terms and Conditions: Holiday Cards Giveaway... by Cynthia Mosher
- › Mothering's Natural Toy Guide 2013 by Melanie Mayo