or Connect
Mothering › Groups › April 2013 Due Date Club › Discussions › January Chat Thread

January Chat Thread - Page 6

post #101 of 339

for the mama's who are still sick as a dog *like me*  what can you eat, and what settles on your stomach?  I seem to be losing foods by the day, and I'm becoming phobic of the "next day" because I"m scared I'll feel like crap.  I"m sorry to be a downer, but i'm so sick of being sick.  EVERY SINGLE DAY< EVERY MINUTE..since 7 weeks =( !!!!!!!!  I feel llike I'm going to loose my mind.  I have every anti nausea pill there is, and while it stops me from actually puking most of the time, it does not stop the nausea.  Now I feel weak, I"m gaining plenty of weight, holding down enough fluids.. I JUST HATE THIS.  I just took half a unisom, took zofran earlier... I need a cure all.

post #102 of 339
Thread Starter 

Got invited to go for a walk with a fellow preschool mom after we dropped off our daughters. I was so excited to have social interaction with an adult that isn't DP that I totally overdid it. Went too far, too fast for too long even though my body was telling me to slow down. By the time I got home I could barely walk, the SPD pain was so bad. Took a tylenol and had a soak in the tub which helped a bit. But I'm pretty sure I'll be spending the rest of the day sitting.

 

I've got a chiro appt. next week at a practice that specializes in prenatal/postnatal moms, so hopefully I'll get some help from that. 

post #103 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMam View Post

Got invited to go for a walk with a fellow preschool mom after we dropped off our daughters. I was so excited to have social interaction with an adult that isn't DP that I totally overdid it. Went too far, too fast for too long even though my body was telling me to slow down. By the time I got home I could barely walk, the SPD pain was so bad. Took a tylenol and had a soak in the tub which helped a bit. But I'm pretty sure I'll be spending the rest of the day sitting.

 

I've got a chiro appt. next week at a practice that specializes in prenatal/postnatal moms, so hopefully I'll get some help from that. 

 

Boo. :(  I carried an ice pack around in my crotch over the last 24 hours so I hear ya!!!

post #104 of 339

Kailey's Mom: I had terrible morning sickness (which thankfully went away around week 16). I puked every morning, even on the Zofran. Nothing got rid of the nausea for me. But I did stick to small, bland meals: baked potatoes, bagels and cream cheese, broth with tiny pasta stars, and saltines with peanut butter. Ginger tea made my mid-mornings and late nights a little more bearable, but I'm not sure that they really helped so much. At week 16 the docs suggested I try heartburn/reflux meds (Pepsid AC) and that has helped the food stay down. At 27 weeks now, my stomach fills up really fast, so I'm still on small meals. I'm sorry that you're feeling so terrible--keep your chin up!

 

IronMam: Yay for maybe making new friends! I know you're feeling lonely out there, and hope you made another date with your walking buddy! Sounds like a shorter walk next time, though :)

post #105 of 339
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayday View Post

 

IronMam: Yay for maybe making new friends! I know you're feeling lonely out there, and hope you made another date with your walking buddy! Sounds like a shorter walk next time, though :)

 

We're hoping to do a play date (my daughter and hers are "best friends" according to DD). But she's doing her midwifery practicum, so there's no sure way to know she'll be able to show up for a scheduled play session. If one of her moms goes into labor, obviously that interferes with her plans. lol   I did tell her that if she ever needs to drop off her DD, and the regular care provider isn't available, that my DD would love to spend the day with hers.

post #106 of 339

This was posted on facebook. It's rather interesting! http://www.natural-motherhood.com/gestational-diabetes-glucose-test.html

post #107 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1babysmom View Post

 

Boo. :(  I carried an ice pack around in my crotch over the last 24 hours so I hear ya!!!

 

I think I need to do that. I have *such* a huge pain in my pressure in my crotch it hurts to stand up for very long.

post #108 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyRuth View Post
It's also surprising to me that the "norm" is to drink that glucola crap when it's not something people normally ingest, instead of using real food to test.
 

 

I used to think that, but I've been reading on another due date forum and there are pretty frequent threads about binges/eating habits. I'm BLOWN AWAY. A pack of Oreo cakesters and a tub of CoolWhip EASILY has 500 grams of carbs in it - probably more. The one hour test has 50 grams of glucose and the OGTT usually uses 100 or 150 grams of glucose.

post #109 of 339

Kaily's mom:  I am taking 8 diclectin/day (the max), 4-5 gravol a day, and ondanzetron (for chemo nausea at $6/pill).  It is a a lot of meds for sure but it usually works. I have tried to reduce the diclectin to even 7/day but that doesn't work.  I talk to the nausea and vomiting in pregnancy hotline too and they have lots of good suggestions, including controlling acid to control nausea so now I am also on a proton pump inhibitor twice  day which really helps with the nausea/acid. Actually compared to my last pregnancy, I really think it is the proton pump inhibitor that is helping the most with nausea. I have tried every natural remedy out there but it is usually lots of meds that does the trick.  I have heard the ondanzetron even works with stomach flue/noro-virus which indicates its strength to me. Still I need to take up to 6 a day on the worst days. 

post #110 of 339

One of my baby books- week by week- what's going on, and the like, said in the 27 week section that you can possibly hear the baby's heartbeat if you put an ear to your stomach (well, if someone else does.) 

 

This sounds pretty intense to me, and I haven't found solid info on it anywhere else. Does anyone know if this is true? 

post #111 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineCoastMama View Post

One of my baby books- week by week- what's going on, and the like, said in the 27 week section that you can possibly hear the baby's heartbeat if you put an ear to your stomach (well, if someone else does.) 

 

This sounds pretty intense to me, and I haven't found solid info on it anywhere else. Does anyone know if this is true? 

I don't think I'd rely on it... most people probably couldn't decipher mom's and baby's heartbeat.

post #112 of 339

So I had a random customer today who kinda freaked me out a little bit.  I work at a bank and she came through the drive thru.  She could barely see my belly through the window but before I could barely get the words "hello" out she goes "Oh!  You're pregnant aren't you?  And it's a boy isn't it?  I'll bet he's due in about 3 maybe 4 months right?"  I was completely shocked!  She isn't even a regular customer and I know no one has told her anything.  Isn't that weird?  I can't believe she got all that right!  I mean I've heard of people trying to guess the sex by how you are carrying but to be right about that and when I'm due just seemed like quite the coincidence.

post #113 of 339

Kate

 

A little freaky but cool! 

 

A mom of one of my students' at school does not know my baby's sex, but has predicted, via both her visual technique, and that needle and wedding ring trick, that he is a boy and will be followed by one more, a girl. Which I think is pretty neat. She says she is 99% accurate and it has always been accurate for her family. Even if it is wive's tale type stuff, she's half right we know right now, and it's fun to think about!

post #114 of 339

Good morning!

 

1babysmom: THANK YOU so much for the video link. The stretches actually help! The only challenging thing is that they also trigger my sciatica sometimes... hahaha... can't win! The SI pain is on the right and the sciatica is on the left. Eh. It's all worth it though :)

 

Passed my GD test. Even though I never expect to fail it, I'm always somewhat fascinated that I pass it. I don't know why.

 

My kids have had a cold for the last 10 days and they are still snotting and coughing! Good grief! I thought I was going to get away with not getting it, but I'm congested this morning. I'm going to keep up with the Emergen-C though so maybe my cold will be short lived. In fact, I am going to make them drink it too. Does anyone else think the cold's and flu's as of late seem a little unnatural?   I don't remember colds lasting sooo long. We haven't had the flu in our house ever, but I am concerned this year. Makes me want to just stay home until April! 

post #115 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagnew View Post

 

My kids have had a cold for the last 10 days and they are still snotting and coughing! Good grief! I thought I was going to get away with not getting it, but I'm congested this morning. I'm going to keep up with the Emergen-C though so maybe my cold will be short lived. In fact, I am going to make them drink it too. Does anyone else think the cold's and flu's as of late seem a little unnatural?   I don't remember colds lasting sooo long. We haven't had the flu in our house ever, but I am concerned this year. Makes me want to just stay home until April! 

 

Start upping you and your kids vitamin D levels. There was a nasty cold going around by me and I started giving the kids at least 10,000 IUs a day of vitamin D and 30,000 IUs for myself. They did catch it but it lasted mere days compared to those around us whose lasted weeks. 

 

I need help ladies - my face is on FIRE! All below my lips, my whole chin and up towards my nose is very very dry, red, peeling, and burning. I look awful. I've tried aloe, coconut oil, vaseline - it will all work for a little but I'm reapplying all day. I really wish I was still nursing so I could put some breastmilk on it. Anyone have any remedies? 

post #116 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenlea View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagnew View Post

 

My kids have had a cold for the last 10 days and they are still snotting and coughing! Good grief! I thought I was going to get away with not getting it, but I'm congested this morning. I'm going to keep up with the Emergen-C though so maybe my cold will be short lived. In fact, I am going to make them drink it too. Does anyone else think the cold's and flu's as of late seem a little unnatural?   I don't remember colds lasting sooo long. We haven't had the flu in our house ever, but I am concerned this year. Makes me want to just stay home until April! 

 

Start upping you and your kids vitamin D levels. There was a nasty cold going around by me and I started giving the kids at least 10,000 IUs a day of vitamin D and 30,000 IUs for myself. They did catch it but it lasted mere days compared to those around us whose lasted weeks. 

 

I need help ladies - my face is on FIRE! All below my lips, my whole chin and up towards my nose is very very dry, red, peeling, and burning. I look awful. I've tried aloe, coconut oil, vaseline - it will all work for a little but I'm reapplying all day. I really wish I was still nursing so I could put some breastmilk on it. Anyone have any remedies? 


All I can think of is calendula. Or Motherlove balm? Any of their balms would probably help. I've been using the Rhoid balm for all skin issues lately, and it's helping. I hope it heals quickly!!!!


Edited by MommyRuth - 1/11/13 at 8:01am
post #117 of 339

I'm home finally! I'm so happy! When I realized I was only half an hour from home, I started crying, because I was so happy. redface.gif Now, though, I just want to sleep, and I can't do that, because even though DF was awesome about tidying the house and keeping it clean, there's still so much to do.

 

I found someone selling some Baby Genius AIOs on craigslist, I'm about to contact them and see if they are still available. If so, it's a pretty good deal, I think. :) I'm really getting excited, as the time gets closer, but also getting nervous, because we have not done much in the way of preparation (even though we aren't going to be getting a lot). And a friend who gave us a sit and rock thing texted me last night to tell me that it's gone under recall, so I need to check into that, too.

post #118 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagnew View Post

Good morning!

 

1babysmom: THANK YOU so much for the video link. The stretches actually help! The only challenging thing is that they also trigger my sciatica sometimes... hahaha... can't win! The SI pain is on the right and the sciatica is on the left. Eh. It's all worth it though :)

 

Passed my GD test. Even though I never expect to fail it, I'm always somewhat fascinated that I pass it. I don't know why.

 

My kids have had a cold for the last 10 days and they are still snotting and coughing! Good grief! I thought I was going to get away with not getting it, but I'm congested this morning. I'm going to keep up with the Emergen-C though so maybe my cold will be short lived. In fact, I am going to make them drink it too. Does anyone else think the cold's and flu's as of late seem a little unnatural?   I don't remember colds lasting sooo long. We haven't had the flu in our house ever, but I am concerned this year. Makes me want to just stay home until April! 

 

Funny you say that, it's the same for me...the sciatica seems to be the untouchable one.  I mean, the SI pain is horrid, and the SPD pain is outlandish, but at least I know of some ways to relieve or prevent worsening of those.  But the sciatica seems to pop up out of nowhere and I can't do anything for it (I've tried the stretches and stuff...nope).  However, I DO think that maybe my chiro is helping with that one a bit, because it does seem to go away after each of my appointments and come back before I have another one.  I'm trying to pay closer attention.

 

And YES to the illnesses!!  My eldest, who rarely ever gets sick with anything respiratory (she is my "tummy" sick girl and if she ever catches anything, which still isn't often, it's a tummy bug), ended up with horrible croup and then pneumonia, and she's still struggling a week later which is a long time for us.  My other two, who have been croup-prone since birth, barely even picked it up.  And they are always on a good supplement regimen and we get them on lots of elderberry, l-lysine/lauric acid, cod liver oil (always on that though), sodium ascorbate, etc for illnesses yet this time none of that seemed to even touch, despite it all being obviously viral (until it settled into her lungs, of course).  But yeah, I have been thinking how weird stuff seems this year.

post #119 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenlea View Post

 

Start upping you and your kids vitamin D levels. There was a nasty cold going around by me and I started giving the kids at least 10,000 IUs a day of vitamin D and 30,000 IUs for myself. They did catch it but it lasted mere days compared to those around us whose lasted weeks. 

 

I need help ladies - my face is on FIRE! All below my lips, my whole chin and up towards my nose is very very dry, red, peeling, and burning. I look awful. I've tried aloe, coconut oil, vaseline - it will all work for a little but I'm reapplying all day. I really wish I was still nursing so I could put some breastmilk on it. Anyone have any remedies? 

Any chance it is something like this? http://www.aocd.org/skin/dermatologic_diseases/perioral_dermatiti.html (though mine is always much redder, and during pg #3 it began showing up above my eyes, too, and then this time across my upper cheek as well)

 

I don't know if that's what you're dealing with, but I get POD during every pregnancy.  Don't know if that's what yours is, but mine lessens if I avoid all commercial toothpastes (we don't use fluoride or SLS but they can definitely contribute to the trouble!) and facial stuff like lotions and soaps or scrubs.  However, I CAN use Burt's Bees Citrus scrub because there are enough oils in that that it doesn't burn and dry it out, but it still gets off all that icky dry skin from the rash.  I can ONLY moisturize with coconut oil...it doesn't make it look or feel any better, necessarily, but it relieves the dryness and occasional itching.  And sometimes, when it's NOT burning, ACV on it can help reduce the redness.

 

I still haven't found a cause but it seems to be related to things I eat...but it's so random and so inconsistent that I can't pinpoint what is prompting it.  Someone posted in a thread I started in Pregnancy about how eating fats seemed to cause it for her, and I was hoping that might be the case for me too but turns out it's apparently not.  Ugh.

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1367897/does-anyone-else-deal-with-perioral-dermatitis-during-pregnancy

post #120 of 339

No I don't think its that. Its not bumpy at all. It looks like I burned my skin really bad with hot water or something and its peeling like a sunburn. I use the Burts Bees apricot scrub to get rid of the flaky skin and don't use conventional moisturizers, just like I said Aloe, Coconut Oil, and the Vaseline. Although the Vaseline tends to make it feel more of a burn sometimes. I already use flouride free toothpaste too. I've had it for most of the pregnancy already but I thought I had it under control - it was looking and feeling much better. Then within the last week it got 10x worse again. The only I've been doing differently is eating more ice cream - which is bad cuz I'm lactose intolerant. So I'm going to cut out my dairy and see if that helps. As I know dairy is bad for eczema so maybe its bad for this too?

  Return Home
  Back to Forum: April 2013 Due Date Club
Mothering › Groups › April 2013 Due Date Club › Discussions › January Chat Thread