or Connect
Mothering › Groups › July 2013 Due Date Club › Discussions › baby movement, gas, round ligament pain or any of the above?

baby movement, gas, round ligament pain or any of the above?

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
I'm a FTM and I've heard at 13 weeks you really can't feel the baby move but did anyone experience that? Not really sure what it feels like but it feels quite different than gas. But its also not a gentle bubbly feeling. It's more like a sharp kick on either side where I might usually feel gas but I'm also not experiencing any passing of gas. On top of that at times I feel a pain just above my pubic area and today a few times all the way down. Do you think that's round ligament? I have a prenatal appointment next week so I will also ask my midwife but thought maybe some mommy pros could chime in.
post #2 of 15

I am guessing that you are experiencing the expanding uterus when feeling a stretching and low pain in the pelvic area.  I think that you would want to rule out a bladder infection and work through the symptoms with your midwife.  

post #3 of 15
Sounds like ligament stretching and maybe the start of SPD. If it to do with your pubic bone you may want to get to a chiropractor ASAP so it doesn't get worse as pregnancy progresses!
post #4 of 15
Thread Starter 
Thanks to both of you. I'll definitely detail to my midwife and see what she thinks.

I had never heard of SPD so thank you. I did plan on seeing a chiro but towards the end of my pregnancy. It may be good to go ahead and start treatment. The stretchy pain is still there. Its not so much sharp but a general achy feeling along the top sides of the groin.
post #5 of 15
I get these really bad super sharp pains about where my right ovary is everyone I cough or sneeze. It wakes me up at night it hurts so bad.... What does spd stand for?
post #6 of 15

the sharp pain is more than likely round ligament pain and really, we all get it.  Sometimes it worse than others.  With one of mine the round ligament pain was how I knew I was pregnant.  SPD has to do with the hormone relaxin that your body produces during pregnancy.  It helps soften your bones so that your hips can move and baby can descend through the birth canal.  It can cause severe pubic bone pain, or hip pain, or lower back/tail bone pain, or cause all of these.  Sometimes a pregnancy support belt helps.  With my DD that passed at birth, starting at 17w it was all I could do to walk because my pubic bone felt like it was coming apart with each step.  At night when turning from one side to the other I wanted to cry.  That's the only pregnancy I've had it though (KNOCK ON WOOD!!!)
 

post #7 of 15
Man, my hips hurt soooo bad last time! It was also how I knew I was pregnant. People would ask if there was anything they could do, because every step was so painful, and I'd say that the only thing that will fix this is having this baby! So far, it hasn't been nearly as bad this time. Mostly only when I'm sleeping. I'm planning on starting going to the chiropractor next week. Want to do as much as possible to prevent it this time.
post #8 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolliegee View Post

Man, my hips hurt soooo bad last time! It was also how I knew I was pregnant. People would ask if there was anything they could do, because every step was so painful, and I'd say that the only thing that will fix this is having this baby! So far, it hasn't been nearly as bad this time. Mostly only when I'm sleeping. I'm planning on starting going to the chiropractor next week. Want to do as much as possible to prevent it this time.

Mines not that bad and hope it doesn't get there. Its worse in the mornings and at night. I do plan on talking to my midwife about it tomorrow just to rule out anything else, mainly a UTI.
post #9 of 15
Glad yours isn't that bad. I hope your midwife can help you out.
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by phobiageek View Post


Mines not that bad and hope it doesn't get there. Its worse in the mornings and at night. I do plan on talking to my midwife about it tomorrow just to rule out anything else, mainly a UTI.


That's a good idea!!  I wonder if I need to ask about that.  Do they just check urine?  I've had urine samples done at each visit and they've never mentioned anything like that, but I have lower back aching and side cramping all the time, seriously, all the time!!  Good luck mama!!

post #11 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLove2009 View Post

I get these really bad super sharp pains about where my right ovary is everyone I cough or sneeze. It wakes me up at night it hurts so bad.... What does spd stand for?

 

I get  really weird stretching feeling when I yawn where my ovary is. I feel like some ligament is going to pop sometimes. Glad I get to talk to my midwife today. I'll post an update with what she said after.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenk View Post


That's a good idea!!  I wonder if I need to ask about that.  Do they just check urine?  I've had urine samples done at each visit and they've never mentioned anything like that, but I have lower back aching and side cramping all the time, seriously, all the time!!  Good luck mama!!

 

Thank you! And yes, they just check your urine with a dipstick. CVS, Walgreens and the like even sell UTI strips for you to check at home if you don't want to wait for your next appointment. Since you have the lower back pain I'd check for UTI just to rule it out. I used to get really bad UTIs in college and that's what it felt like but it was constant. What I feel now comes and goes so not sure if that's it but rather check for peace of mind.

 

Good luck you to!

post #12 of 15
UTI pain doesn't feel anything like round ligament IME. UTI pain is usually worst when you urinate, like it feels like you need to go REALLY bad but you cant get anything out. It might also burn.
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by talldarkeyes View Post

UTI pain doesn't feel anything like round ligament IME. UTI pain is usually worst when you urinate, like it feels like you need to go REALLY bad but you cant get anything out. It might also burn.

I agree 100%!!  The 2 are nothing alike.  I was just wondering because of the side/back pain I have is UTI related because I can definitely tell the difference in round ligament pain and what I'm having now, but at the same time, I don't have any other symptoms of UTI either.  I would venture to guess it's because I've been pregnant so many time and maybe my uterus is just agitated maybe?!

post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by phobiageek View Post

 

I get  really weird stretching feeling when I yawn where my ovary is. I feel like some ligament is going to pop sometimes. Glad I get to talk to my midwife today. I'll post an update with what she said after.  

 

 

Thanks! Please let me know what your midwife said! I used to have a cyst on my ovary and the pain kind of feels the same. They did not see the cyst anymore during the initial U/S. But sometimes it just worries me that I may be hurting the baby by coughing! 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenk View Post

the sharp pain is more than likely round ligament pain and really, we all get it.  Sometimes it worse than others.  With one of mine the round ligament pain was how I knew I was pregnant.  SPD has to do with the hormone relaxin that your body produces during pregnancy.  It helps soften your bones so that your hips can move and baby can descend through the birth canal.  It can cause severe pubic bone pain, or hip pain, or lower back/tail bone pain, or cause all of these.  Sometimes a pregnancy support belt helps.  With my DD that passed at birth, starting at 17w it was all I could do to walk because my pubic bone felt like it was coming apart with each step.  At night when turning from one side to the other I wanted to cry.  That's the only pregnancy I've had it though (KNOCK ON WOOD!!!)
 

Thanks for telling me about round ligament pain! This is my first, and I am mostly clueless about symptoms. It is good to know that it is pretty common though!

post #15 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLove2009 View Post

Thanks! Please let me know what your midwife said! I used to have a cyst on my ovary and the pain kind of feels the same. They did not see the cyst anymore during the initial U/S. But sometimes it just worries me that I may be hurting the baby by coughing! 

 

 

Thanks for telling me about round ligament pain! This is my first, and I am mostly clueless about symptoms. It is good to know that it is pretty common though!

 

 

That said, midwife said it's just round ligament pain and explained how it's stretching and causing the pain to me. She said to try getting up slowly and when I cough or yawn to hold my side and not go full force. It's just a normal part of pregnancy.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by talldarkeyes View Post

UTI pain doesn't feel anything like round ligament IME. UTI pain is usually worst when you urinate, like it feels like you need to go REALLY bad but you cant get anything out. It might also burn.

 

That's what I thought for a long time but you can actually have UTI without the burning or hurting when you urinate. Everyone has different symptoms. For me it was the constant urge to urinate and the back pain that had me thinking it might be a UTI but it wasn't. The urge is just the uterus pressing on my bladder according to my midwife and the back pain is just normal part of pregnancy. I'm thinking of getting a pillow or something to help support my back because I'm not that comfortable when I sleep anymore. I'm only 14 weeks and I'm afraid it's not going to get easier. 

  Return Home
  Back to Forum: July 2013 Due Date Club
Mothering › Groups › July 2013 Due Date Club › Discussions › baby movement, gas, round ligament pain or any of the above?