or Connect
Mothering › Groups › September 2013 Due Date Club › Discussions › How are you feeling?

How are you feeling? - Page 81

post #1601 of 1719

Well tonight I'm feeling like crap. We can't get our daughter (who is 4 and a half) out of the cot bed we will be putting the baby in. And I'm really worried that she's going to tantrum at me when I get back from the birth centre with a newborn because she wants the bed he is in. We don't know what to do. And thanks to this whole thing every night I'm very tired and very fed up.

post #1602 of 1719
Quote:
Originally Posted by nettlesoup View Post

Well tonight I'm feeling like crap. We can't get our daughter (who is 4 and a half) out of the cot bed we will be putting the baby in. And I'm really worried that she's going to tantrum at me when I get back from the birth centre with a newborn because she wants the bed he is in. We don't know what to do. And thanks to this whole thing every night I'm very tired and very fed up.

 

Yes you can get her out of it! Remember you guys are her parents and she is the child. =D

 

We must be more strict because if nice tactics didn't work we'd just pick her right up out of the bed and go put her in her own(or wherever she sleeps) and tell her that she needed to behave. We would not let her back into the room where the baby bed is or into the baby bed.

 

As far as being nice first, I would explain how exciting the new baby is and that we needed to make the bed for the new baby. I would have her help make the bed and put a doll on it for the baby and let her know we couldn't mess the bed up because the baby will be here soon! I'd also have her help pick the doll and things so she was involved and it was special. =D

 

For my daughter who is 5 we found a 4 post white bed at a garage sale for $20 that is really cute and surprised her with it as her new big sister bed. We didn't have any issues with her and the new baby coming or anything but thought it would be nice for her. You could do the same for your 4 yr old, or at least let her pick out new sheets or something. Good luck!

post #1603 of 1719

We got her a bunk bed with a really nice duvet especially for him being born but it didn't work. It's been fights every single night and literally nothing is working. So we've come up with a final option; her Dad is sleeping in the bunk, and the baby will sleep on one side in the cot bed, and she will sleep on her Dad's side in the double bed. And if the baby keeps her up or if she wants her Dad, she can go through to the bunk bed.

 

Doing the same thing night is just having a negative affect on all of us and it's getting us nowhere. If we continued that way she'd just end up resenting her brother, and probably us too. We try to follow a positive parenting way of doing things, and doing it any other way is just making things worse and more stressful.

 

So I think this is the best option for now. We'll see how it works out anyway. With a bit of luck she'll realise she doesn't want to be in a room with a newborn at night, but we'll see.

post #1604 of 1719

Only way I did young cosleeper+newborn+husband+me was with a 3.2 meter wide custom made mattress (basically wall-to-wall in the bedroom) on the floor.  Everyone had plenty of room to stretch out.

 

I'm feeling just grumpy, emotional, bored, lonely, you name it.  Anyone else having their hormones wipe any smile off their face?  Grrr..

post #1605 of 1719
Oh, Serafina, I am so done. These last weeks are just ...ugh. I worked up until 39w5d last time, and I had assumed I'd go late, bc she was my first. So when she arrived on time I was quite shocked.
This time around, I am sick to death of the pains and the weird oozes that aren't actually labor signs and and and...I just want this child OUT already. I want to meet him, and to get on with my life! I have too much to do to still be pregnant.
post #1606 of 1719

I feel exactly the same as you guys, it just sucks now! I also now want a mattress the size of the entire bedroom, that would be pretty epic.

post #1607 of 1719
Re sleeping arrangements - i convinced dh to go out last week and buy another mattress. So now we have two queens (one each for dh and i) and a twin for ds. DH will sleep on the new queen up against DS's twin and I will sleep on the other queen with new babe in the opposite corner of the room. That way we didnt have to change DSs sleep arrangement right now.
One day we will put all the mattresses together and have one big bed - that will be awesome smile.gif
post #1608 of 1719

I'm glad I'm not the only one here with weird sleeping arrangements!

post #1609 of 1719
Quote:
Originally Posted by nettlesoup View Post

We got her a bunk bed with a really nice duvet especially for him being born but it didn't work. It's been fights every single night and literally nothing is working. So we've come up with a final option; her Dad is sleeping in the bunk, and the baby will sleep on one side in the cot bed, and she will sleep on her Dad's side in the double bed. And if the baby keeps her up or if she wants her Dad, she can go through to the bunk bed.

 

Doing the same thing night is just having a negative affect on all of us and it's getting us nowhere. If we continued that way she'd just end up resenting her brother, and probably us too. We try to follow a positive parenting way of doing things, and doing it any other way is just making things worse and more stressful.

 

So I think this is the best option for now. We'll see how it works out anyway. With a bit of luck she'll realise she doesn't want to be in a room with a newborn at night, but we'll see.

 

It's so hard, isn't it? You feel guilty, too, because you're kinda turning their little worlds upside down. It's tough.

With my three-year-old, who had slept right beside me every night of his life, we started the transition back in April. We have an Ikea KURA bed for my older son, so we flipped it upside down and added a second mattress on the floor underneath, like bunkbeds, but lower. The first night, he was excited to go there and it was no problem. I still slept beside him. But on the second night when we went upstairs to go to bed, he said "No, I want MY bed!", and headed for our room. Broke my heart. He cried and cried, and I cried, too. But we kept the lights off in the other room and I told him I was sleeping in his new bed so if he wante dto sleep in the big bed, he had to be by himself. Finally, he came to bed with me. After that, it got easier. He still asked for "his" bed, meaning my bed, for about a week, but the crying and making a big deal of it stopped when he knew I wasn't giving in. It took a few weeks, but we got him to the point of sleeping all night by himself in the bed, after the intital having to have someone lie next to him till he fell asleep. (Heck, my six-year-old still needs someone in the room for that, so no big deal.)

Then we had to share beds with him again over summer vacation... So, we're kind of having to start over in some ways. Not the whole thing, but he wakes up in the night and comes looking for one of us. He was waking me too much, so DH is now sleeping all night in their room again. I just can't get up and down from his floor mattress easily and don't get any sleep there at all. So far, so good. Hopefully, DH will be back in our bed by the time the baby gets here!

Anyway, I know it's too late to get this done before the baby gets here for you, but it can work! With my older son, he was still in our bed when his brother arrived, and we managed to move him in much the same way. My poor husband spent months on the floor of his room till the process was complete, but it did happen. (Having an actual bunk for yours is good! Mine's sleeping on a futon in the boys' room right now, after he gets them both alseep. Much nicer than the floor! LOL.)

I just wanted to give you encouragement that it will work, eventually. You'll get there!

post #1610 of 1719
I'm getting pains in my tummy. Don't know if they r braxton hicks. They r at the top of my tummy last about 10 seconds and I kinda have to hold my breath through them as they r a little painful/uncomfortable. I thought u got BH in the lower abdomin though, like period cramps?
post #1611 of 1719

Bromache; thanks so much for the advice! Sadly it is a bit late for that, especially since I'm too huge to share a single bed with her. The reason it fails is because she misses me and wants to be in the same room as me. But I've come to the conclusion that there is no major rush to get her out as there is always a way to get round it without having to move her to a completely different room. And I suppose her being in the same room as her baby brother and me will probably help her get used to him and become close to him more quickly.

post #1612 of 1719
Quote:
Originally Posted by nettlesoup View Post

Bromache; thanks so much for the advice! Sadly it is a bit late for that, especially since I'm too huge to share a single bed with her. The reason it fails is because she misses me and wants to be in the same room as me. But I've come to the conclusion that there is no major rush to get her out as there is always a way to get round it without having to move her to a completely different room. And I suppose her being in the same room as her baby brother and me will probably help her get used to him and become close to him more quickly.

 

Sure! No reason it can't work, as long as it works for you. In the end, they won't be sleeping in your bed forever! I always keep that in mind as the light at the end of my tunnel.

post #1613 of 1719

I'm getting tired of work. Not really getting much done, work is pretty slow now anyways, and I keep thinking of those 10 sick days that will go unused if I work till the end. I'm afraid I will be bored at home, but I'm a bit bored in the office nowadays.

 

On the other hand, if I go late and use up my sick days, it would really suck to have to come back to work then... So I don't really know what to do. Work till 39 weeks, 40, ...?

post #1614 of 1719
Is anyone else getting really winded and out of breath from small exertions? I walk up the stairs at home and I have to sit down or lean over against something for a minute. Feels like my bp and heartrate goes crazy. Every time my bp has been measured it's great- I'm just not sure if this is normal or if it's something to be worried about.
post #1615 of 1719
Quote:
Originally Posted by nettlesoup View Post

I feel exactly the same as you guys, it just sucks now! I also now want a mattress the size of the entire bedroom, that would be pretty epic.

 

we have a queen size bed, and stayed at a hotel last weekend with a king sized bed. huge difference. can't believe how small our bed feels now that i'm basically two people.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennyanydots View Post

Is anyone else getting really winded and out of breath from small exertions? I walk up the stairs at home and I have to sit down or lean over against something for a minute. Feels like my bp and heartrate goes crazy. Every time my bp has been measured it's great- I'm just not sure if this is normal or if it's something to be worried about.

 

definitely! just getting up from a chair might get me out of breath. it's quite ridiculous.

 

alright, over last week's flu! this week i'm dealing with a regular cold i brought back from our babymoon. sore throat, congested, head pressure, etc. drinking lots, doing all the gross throat anesthetics, tea and lemon drop and lozenges and salt water gargling and acetaminophen and lots of rest. ugh, so over being miserable! being 35 1/2 weeks pregnant would be quite enough discomfort for me to handle! so glad i'm not working at the moment - actually not feeling guilty resting up. i might use today's forced downtime to start Ina May's guide to childbirth - need some more encouragement that i can actually do this (give birth).  

post #1616 of 1719
I think it's normal to feel tired and winded this far along. I do. My bp is always normal too. We have so much extra blood pumping and the baby is taking up so much lung space.
post #1617 of 1719

Can't tell if cramps are due to early labor pains or bowl stomach issues. mecry.gifAlso been getting weird groin leg pains if I stand for very long. This pregnant thing has been easy up until the past 4 days, which have been really confusing. T_T 38 weeks in.

post #1618 of 1719

Kakuna, I would say I've had it easy till about a week ago, now things are starting to feel like they're falling apart. Hang in there, the end is in sight!

 

Chispita, I can only say: go with your gut. My mood is the main thing affecting my ability to work right now so that's how I decided.

 

Any anatomy geeks here? My right ilium feels like it's going to separate from my sacrum and the only thing holding things together is my glute max, so much so that it constantly feels like it's about to cramp up!

post #1619 of 1719

dakipode - I completely understand your anatomy complaint!  Sometimes I wonder if I have a similar problem because instead of feeling a near-cramp in my legs like a charlie horse, I feel it closer to my rear.  When my MW palpitated for the baby yesterday she said his head is resting pretty much right on my pubic bone.  Ironically, I have been in LESS pain in my pubic symphysis today than I have been in the past, so I don't know what to make of my information!

 

The last three days for me have been a terrible set of allergies.  Constant sneezing and eye watering to the point that it keeps me up at night and is starting to cause mild nosebleeds.  Day 1 I took a Zyrtec, and day 2 I caved and took a Benadryl (just one!) and that was the worst mistake ever.  I took a 4 hour nap and was groggy the rest of the day after that.  At least I know my kids don't easily get sick of watching TV all day...

post #1620 of 1719

VC; it's a great book! I've almost finished it and reading it last time really helped prepare me for labour. I think I coped a lot better thanks to it.

  Return Home
  Back to Forum: September 2013 Due Date Club
Mothering › Groups › September 2013 Due Date Club › Discussions › How are you feeling?