I have a 7 mth old DS. He is EBF-we have stopped solid foods because he seemed unable to tolerate them- and has shown signs of food allergies/intolerances since about 6 weeks. I'm pretty familiar with the signs (exclusively green, mucousy poo with blood, fussiness/colic, lack of sleep, skin rashes) since my older DS also has several food allergies that showed up in infancy. The first thing I eliminated from my diet was dairy, then soy. There was an improvement in the colic, but not the green bloody poo. We noticed one night after we had given him some whole wheat pasta to play with/eat that he had one of his worst nights ever, and the next day his poo was pretty much like mucous with blood in it. Not good. I then cut out all wheat. Things seemed to get a bit better, the poo was more yellowish and he had a few okay sleeping nights. Then I had a bowl of soup with barley, and awful poo/fussiness returned. I have now been free of gluten for about a week, but the poo is still green, and there is still blood in it. Today he had noticeably dots/streaks of blood and I am fairly certain that I didn't eat anything that I think he is reacting to. I'm kind of at my wits end here. I feel awful for him, because obviously his tummy is upset, and I'm wondering if I should even be BF him anymore. The thought of switching to formula is devastating (not judging anyone else, I just don't personally want my children to have it and am planning to BF as long as possible, as I did with my first). I'm guess I'm wondering what to eliminate next, if it's possible that he's still reacting to things I ate over a week ago, and looking for any advice from other mamas who have dealt with this. Thanks!
Related Forum Threads
- Any value in allergy testing for eczema? Last post on 5/17/13 at 6:11am in Allergies
- Most people say spitting up is normal, but... Last post on 5/17/13 at 9:40am in Allergies
- Allergy to Beets Last post on 5/13/13 at 6:37pm in Allergies
- How to start healing the gut? Last post on 5/17/13 at 6:13am in Allergies
- How long until dairy leaves your system? Last post on 5/8/13 at 5:36am in Allergies
Food allergies in EBF infant, don't know what to do next
Best place to start is a VERY detailed food log. Down to ever last thing IN things (pancakes- gf flour, tapioca starch and on an on). This was the way we figured out coconut/palm for my DS. It wasn't enough to just say "pancake".
Also, gluten can take a while to clear out of your and his system. Give it some time while you start to log things. I know it is so hard. As a last resort I would do a Dr. Sears TED for a while to get to baseline. It isn't a long term solution but that should help you get the a healthy place to start reintroducing things.
Hugs, it sticks and is so hard. Hang in there!
Hi bouncy mummy, my story sounds much like yours except my little guy is 5 1/2 months. I had cut out dairy and soy things for better then after a trial seemed like wheat was causing the green blood poops. I've now cut out all major allergens but still green poops and sometimes with blood. Did you get any answers??
Hi there! Well, after a few months, we finally have figured out that dairy/soy/gluten were causing the blood and green poop. I am now totally free of any of these, and that includes anything that has them as a 'may contain' or 'manufactured in a facility that uses...'. I was very surprised at the amount of foods that I was eating that cotained gluten (malt vinegar, condiments, flavoured coffee, candy...), so I have had to become a very careful label reader and very cautious about what I'm eating. This is difficult, especially with take out/restaurant or pre-packaged foods, but it's been worth it since DS has not had a bloody poop in several weeks, and his sleep at night is improving. His poop is still sometimes green, but I don't worry about it if it's blood free. I would say to keep trying, and to be really diligent with your label reading to make sure that they allergenic foods aren't sneaking into your diet :) Good luck, I know how hard it can be, but hey, it's a lot cheaper than formula!!
- Food allergies in EBF infant, don't know what to do next
- › May 2013 Chit Chat 26 seconds ago
- › Breast pump covered by insurance 26 seconds ago
- › Greetings 39 seconds ago
- › Anyone Have Chicken Pox? 2 minutes ago
- › Teaching problem solving and deeper thinking... 2 minutes ago
- › A Saner TTC-The Pink Moon 3 minutes ago
- › Looking for chicken pox in NJ, NY, PA 4 minutes ago
- › TMI Nipple Question 5 minutes ago
- › How to get pets ready for baby 5 minutes ago
- › Maternity photos!! 5 minutes ago
- › Bravado Designs Bodysilk Seamless Nursing Bra by casaDES
- › Lansinoh 20265 Disposable Nursing Pads, 60-pack by KaliShanti
- › Boppy Nursing Pillow with Slipcover by earobb
- › Medela Nightime Nursing Sleep Bra by earobb
- › Motherhood Wireless Full Coverage Nursing Bra by earobb
- › NUK Ultra Thin Nursing Pads, 60 Pack by earobb
- › The First Years Breastflow BPA Free Bottle, 5 Ounce by KaliShanti
- › Simple Wishes Hands-Free Breastpump Bra, XS/S/M by KaliShanti
- › Seal N Go Breast Milk Freezer Disposable Liners - 25 / Pack by KaliShanti
- › Medela Quick Clean Micro-Steam Bags by KaliShanti
- › A Mama's Peace by Melanie Mayo
- › 7 Simple Recipes to Bless a New Mom by Melanie Mayo
- › Closing Up Shop: Life After Vasectomy by Melanie Mayo
- › My Heart Growing Fonder by Melanie Mayo
- › Happy Simple Baby Love by Melanie Mayo
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer... by Melanie Mayo
- › Relax. Parenting Is Supposed to Be Messy,... by Brian Leaf
- › Managing Mom Stress: Sharing Tips and Trying... by Melanie Mayo