Ahhh!! My 3mo has had an on again off again rash for the past few weeks - I was reading last night and thought maybe it could be yeast (it had come back again) so I added a few drops of tea tree oil to her spray wipes solution. As of an hour ago she was completely hysterical, screaming in pain - her bottom is BRIGHT red, it looks so bad, I couldn't find a way to hold her without it hurting her. I nursed her to sleep finally. What can I do? I think it's from the tto but man...I need something to help her NOW! help!!
Mothering Top Picks
- categoryDiaperingtagged by System, 1/5/13
Related Forum Threads
- Help me decide -- ME OS vs EconoME Last post on Yesterday at 12:08 pm in Diapering
- Wool covers, inserts and a two year old Last post on 3/10/14 at 6:12pm in Diapering
- Hard water Last post on 3/8/14 at 9:06pm in Diapering
- best way to strip diapers Last post on 3/7/14 at 2:42pm in Diapering
- Diapers still sudsy after rinsing Last post on 3/6/14 at 3:17pm in Diapering
The Real Scoop on 10 Natural Diaper Creams: Toxicity and Cloth...
Last edited: 10/6/13
- Cloth Diaper Guide: Top 10 Picks from the Mothering CommunityLast edited: 10/9/13
- Dumping Disposable DiapersLast edited: 4/10/13
- Crazy For Cloth: The Benefits Of Cloth DiapersLast edited: 10/18/12
- Grapefruit Seed Extract to Treat ThrushLast edited: 9/19/10
Immediate diaper rash help needed!post #1 of 91/5/13 at 10:46amThread Starterpost #2 of 91/5/13 at 10:51ampost #3 of 91/5/13 at 12:35pmAgree with the air. A lot of time just rinsing with water and patting dry and then lots of time spent with no diaper and just air against the skin.
I would avoid the tea tree oil at this point but just in case someone else was interested in this, it is often sold concentrated and needs to be mixed with water and some kind of oil or moisturizer like olive oil or maybe mixed with vanocreme. A little goes a long way so just use very small amount mixed with water and oil.
If you still think it is yeast and it is very persistent even after lots of airing out, you could try lotrimin.
Poor baby. I hope you see rapid improvement and she is bettter soon.post #4 of 91/6/13 at 12:15ampost #5 of 91/6/13 at 5:27pm
My newborn daughter had a terrible diaper rash for weeks, and no natural remedies, medicated diaper ointment or airing out would work. We finally were told about Nyaderm cream and the rash was gone in two days as the rash was caused by yeast. I tried the natural way to get rid of the rash, but nothing worked. We got it from the pharmacist. Hope this helps.post #6 of 91/6/13 at 5:45pm
Use a hair dryer to dry her bum after gentle washing and leave hear with out a diaper as much as possible. Don't moisturize because it just traps the yeast and bacteria in the skin and lets it grow. If you need to put a diaper on her, change it after every pee and poo. You can help by cutting down on the the amount of sugar you eat (that's assuming she's breastfed). If you cloth diaper, then you need to wash in hot water and dry on high heat to kill the yeast (you can also add tea tree to the rinse cycle). If that isn't working try some zinc cream, and if that doesn't work get a prescription for an antifungal cream.post #7 of 91/8/13 at 1:25pmpost #8 of 91/8/13 at 5:32pm
Any rash that is going on longer than a week or is really worrying you needs to be checked by a medical someone. There are a few different kinds and they have very different treatments.
We have never had yeast, but several secondary staph infected rashes.
Once you know what it is you can treat the rash, and then the diapers if needed (yeast needs to be evicted from cds, how in part depends on your stash)post #9 of 93/3/13 at 4:22pmi have a newborn and am breastfeeding. tried different brand diapers and found Luvs is the best (better than pampers or huggies). i dont use wipes, just use kleenex dipped in slightly warm water. was using desitin but he had a bad diaper rash, heres what worked.
bag balm! found at local pharmacies like rite aid, cvs, walgreens. it comes in a green metal tin. rash went away immediately. i smother it on (like icing on a cake, real thick) then i apply burt bees diaper rash. rash healed the same day!
fyi, i have limited my milk intake. i drink lots of juice which doesnt seem to bother him or create a worse rash.
i change his diaper often but i think what helps the most is the bag balm. please try bag balm asap! i feel so bad for all the suffering babies. hope it helps your little one like it helped ours, best of luck!!!
- Cloth Diaper Guide: Top 10 Picks from the Mothering Community
- › Ask: Do your parents chat with your kids? 16 seconds ago
- › Hello... new to kids 2 minutes ago
- › Pregnancy Cravings 3 minutes ago
- › The Saner TTC and Graduates -- Wolf Moon 6 minutes ago
- › do some babies not like EC? 9 minutes ago
- › "Baby's gaze May Signal Autism, a Study Finds" 10 minutes ago
- › ~*~ The TTC ONE Thread~*~ March 2014 14 minutes ago
- › Water Slings, what are your favorites? 15 minutes ago
- › A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words 17 minutes ago
- › Any other moms expecting #5 or more? 17 minutes ago
- › Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver by ss834
- › Pyur Diaper Balm by MimiPilla
- › Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, Fragrance Free, by KatelynRose
- › Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Video Monitor with 2.5"... by thebessmartinfo
- › Happy Heiny's One Size Cloth Diapers by SquirmyWorm
- › Homesteader's Kitchen, The: Recipes from Farm to Table by Monica S
- › Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin, 90 Tablets by glwilson22
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › The Night Before Christmas by rjdoghouse
- › The Polar Express by sassyfirechick
- › Probiotics and Your Little Ones by JenniO11
- › The Debate Over Handheld Devices for Babies... by Marcy Axness
- › Preparing your Child to Attend a... by OliviaHinebaugh
- › Am I A Bad Mother or Has Africa Run Out of... by BrainChild
- › Your Two-Year-Old Knows Squatting is Better by Melanie Mayo
- › Okay to Leave Kids in the Car While Popping... by Melanie Mayo
- › Laundry Zen by Laura Grace Weldon
- › High Needs Mother by BrainChild
- › Homebirth Forum Guidelines by Cynthia Mosher
- › Disclaimer by Cynthia Mosher