Thanks to ssun5 for the suggestion.
So, in lieu of vaccinations, what (if anything) is in your "keep healthy" arsenal.
I will go first.
We do not have much stuff, but we have some. As a general rule I do not keep much in the house to prevent illness as I think getting sick, launching an immune response and recovering is good for you. This year is a little different as I do not want my youngest to get sick, as it often leads to a chest infection in her, and I want to break the cycle of illness-> chest infection->antibiotics.
So…what we are doing to prevent illness:
1. Soap at all sinks. I am trying to encourage handwashing, so I put soap at the kitchen sink. People in my house are pretty good about handwashing after using the washroom, but not so good about it before eating. I wanted to make it fairly simple to do, and give a visual cue…so yeah, soap at the sinks.
2. You usual good sleep, outdoor time, good food.
3. With specific regards to food, I am being a little pickier than usual. We are off sugar (just the refined stuff). I am doing it for energy reasons (and it seems to be working!) but a quick look at the internet shows sugar is not very good where health is concerned.
4. In our house, due to chest infection issues, we have stepped up the dust and clutter control. We got rid of the carpets and the house feels so much cleaner. I am also misting rooms with water somewhat regularly to keep humidity levels correct in this season of heat being on all the time (it is drying).
5. Vit. C and D. supplements. Just in case. We do not get enough vit. D naturally this far north in winter months.
6. Tea or other hot drinks. Some bacteria (including flu, I think) colonize at the back of the throat. Hot drinks help wash it down into the stomach where the colonies can be dealt with more effectively. Neti pots work as well.
7. If we feel a tickle or something coming on, we are taking a homemade concoction of oil of oregano, apple cider vinegar and honey. Anecdotally, we love it! It seems to prevent some stuff, or cut the duration/severity of illnesses.
Things I would like to do or know:
Get the proper type and dose of ascorbic acid in the house.
figure out if hydrogen peroxide help prevent tetanus at all and keep it in the house if it does.
Edited by kathymuggle - 1/7/13 at 4:31pm