or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Childhood and Beyond › The Childhood Years › Cured dd's ear ache/infection without a doctor or antibiotics
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cured dd's ear ache/infection without a doctor or antibiotics

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 

Just thought I'd share.

 

So dd comes out of school yesterday with a bad ear ache. As I sat in the car I was about to drive her to the doctor's but called dh at work. He wasn't sure whether we should take her right away or wait and see. So took her home. The pain was getting worse and worse and she was wailing on the sofa. I called the doctor's office for an appt. They didn't have an appt. until nearly 4-4+ hours. So am preparing to walk in and hope for the best. I had to finish another call by when I decided she definetly needs a pain reliever. I gave her some motrin and soon she was completely pain free. I looked up garlic oil on the net (knew about this ayurvedic treatment for preventing ear infections) to see if it could help with what seemed like a full blown ear infection. (Her ear was v. red as well.) Found info. it works on earaches/infections. Made it and put 2 drops in the ear. Next, massaged olive oil with lavender oil (just happned to have it, if not, plain olive oil is fine) below her ears and the neck area to help drain any excess fluid in the ear. Next, put a warm pad on the ear. I didn't have a pad. Used an old receiving blanket of hers. I didn't know if I could put it in the microwave so just heated a pan and warmed it in it. And waited and watched to see what happens when the motrin wears off. The pain or redness never came back. This morning did the same. joy.gif


Edited by Neera - 1/10/13 at 12:23pm
post #2 of 9

My youngest is plagued with ear infections.   A drop of dairy for her and it's an instant ear ache/infection for her.  :(   Instead of heating a pad, I filled an old sock with rice and secured the top with a rubber band.  I heat it in the micro for a couple seconds and let her put that on her ear.   Works great!  

post #3 of 9

I do the garlic infused olive oil. It works great. Most ear aches are viral and will go away on their own. My daughter hates it, so next time I am going to try plain coconut oil. Its antimicrobial too.

post #4 of 9

We are huge fans of Similisan.  My now-adult son had lits of ear trouble, and it saved me many times from caving and going to the doctor.  When I finally broke my antibx habit, his ear problems cleared up.  With my younger ds, I never started the antibx habit, and so he just had his first earache in all his 10 yrs.  One dose of Similisan and his ear was fine!

post #5 of 9

i think its really hard with all that pain to figure out what kind of ear ache our children have. 

 

i am glad that just some garlic oil took the pain away. 

 

i have tried that too but it didnt work for dd. we had to go the antibiotic route. in fact dd's one and only ear infection was so bad, she had to have double antib. oral liquid as well as ear drops. her ears were bleeding. we had to take her to ER.  

post #6 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedwithboys View Post

We are huge fans of Similisan.  My now-adult son had lits of ear trouble, and it saved me many times from caving and going to the doctor.  When I finally broke my antibx habit, his ear problems cleared up.  With my younger ds, I never started the antibx habit, and so he just had his first earache in all his 10 yrs.  One dose of Similisan and his ear was fine!

I've heard the name. What is Similisan?

post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post

i think its really hard with all that pain to figure out what kind of ear ache our children have. 

 

i am glad that just some garlic oil took the pain away. 

 

i have tried that too but it didnt work for dd. we had to go the antibiotic route. in fact dd's one and only ear infection was so bad, she had to have double antib. oral liquid as well as ear drops. her ears were bleeding. we had to take her to ER.  

Yeah, if the ears were bleeding I'd be careful and would have definetly shown her to a doctor.

post #8 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMamaGC View Post

I do the garlic infused olive oil. It works great. Most ear aches are viral and will go away on their own. My daughter hates it, so next time I am going to try plain coconut oil. Its antimicrobial too.

Dd hates it too. So, the plan is that we are going to continue using it as a preventative measure against all kinds of germs that are known to mostly enter through the ears. It will be used 1 hr before a shower.

 

Let me know if plain coconut oil works for you.

post #9 of 9

As a child I suffered with frequent earache - sometimes in both ears at the same time. My mother used warmed liquid paraffin which she put down my ear and give me a asprin tablet.  If I remember, it did  work most of the time.
 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Childhood Years
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Childhood and Beyond › The Childhood Years › Cured dd's ear ache/infection without a doctor or antibiotics