or Connect
Mothering › Groups › June 2013 Due Date Club › Discussions › How do you carry your baby gear?

How do you carry your baby gear?

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 

I was browsing diaper bags and remembering how much I hated carrying them , but at the same time how much *stuff* I would lug around with me.  What did you use or what are you planning to use (if you have thought about it yet, lol!).  I am planning on using a sling for the baby, so something that is one shouldered seems like it's going to be uncomfortable, especially since I am going to have a two and a half year old to chase - maybe a backpack? What have you seen? What have you liked?

post #2 of 16
Good question! I can't wait to read responses...
post #3 of 16

http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=536542&cmSource=Search

 

We have used a backpack diaper bag from One Step Ahead for at least 6 years now...maybe longer.  The one in the link isn't exactly like ours, but it's the only one that popped up quickly.  They may not make the stly we have anymore.  Ours has just one shoulder strap and is a dark beige(ish) color with black trim.  It certainly has held up well!  And both DH and I use it. 

Personally I like pretty frilly ones, but I carry the diaper bag a lot less than DH (who is a stay at home dad), so their is no use in buying a cute one.

post #4 of 16
Generic backpacks. One was a school bag. One was a camping bag. It was nice if they had 2 big sections one for my wet bag one for all the other regular stuff and a little pocket for first aid and binky.
post #5 of 16

We splurged this time.  For years (and several babies now) I've wanted a Coach diaper bag, so for Christmas my sweet sweet DH got one for me.  It's big and beautiful and I LOVE it so much and since this is our last baby he decided it was time :)

 

http://www.coach.com/online/handbags/-handbags_silhouettes_multieverything-us-us-5000000000000015032-en?t1Id=62&t2Id=5000000000000015032&tier=2 

 

similar to these :)
 

post #6 of 16

My favorite has been a backpack. A big bag drives me nuts. Many times I'll have a big bag that stays in the van, and use a smaller bag that has the immediate necessities. 

post #7 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenk View Post

We splurged this time.  For years (and several babies now) I've wanted a Coach diaper bag, so for Christmas my sweet sweet DH got one for me.  It's big and beautiful and I LOVE it so much and since this is our last baby he decided it was time :)

 

http://www.coach.com/online/handbags/-handbags_silhouettes_multieverything-us-us-5000000000000015032-en?t1Id=62&t2Id=5000000000000015032&tier=2 

 

similar to these :)
 

 

Yay! Doesn't it feel good to splurge sometimes??? biggrinbounce.gif Those are beautiful bags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyThea View Post

My favorite has been a backpack. A big bag drives me nuts. Many times I'll have a big bag that stays in the van, and use a smaller bag that has the immediate necessities. 

I think I am going to go with a backpack - makes sense.  I also tend to keep a bag going in the car for those "just in case" moments. 

 

Thanks ladies for the suggestions :)  And a good note about having the two pockets - definitely a good idea!

post #8 of 16

I don't like a backpack if I'm using my baby carrier. I personally wouldn't choose to use a backpack style diaper bag for that reason. It depends on your style of doing things.

post #9 of 16
Thread Starter 
What would you use instead then?
post #10 of 16

I'm looking at the Ergo pack that can snap onto the Ergo carrier. Anyone tried that before? It's a back pack (which is what we used for both of our boys).

post #11 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by holidaymama View Post

I'm looking at the Ergo pack that can snap onto the Ergo carrier. Anyone tried that before? It's a back pack (which is what we used for both of our boys).e


Hmm, all of the backpacks look so cumbersome! I think I am going to have to figure out a way to carry less gear! It should be easier with a summer baby than a winter baby, right!? Hopefully what I hear about there being less blow outs with cloth diapers is true and we will need to carry less changes of clothes. (I needed like 6 changes for DS to get through an afternoon visit with my parents...and we always used them ALL...and I needed to keep extra clothes there in case we needed more.  Plus I usually needed a change for myself! dizzy.gif)

post #12 of 16

Here's the diaper bag I have. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SG77R8/ref=oh_details_o04_s01_i01

They used to have more styles of it on amazon. I only paid $23. But any that can be worn just over the shoulder and adjusted to be messenger style if needed would be my personal preference.

I also have a smaller over the shoulder bag that was handmade from this seller https://www.facebook.com/juanitashandmade. I don't know if she is selling online anymore. I think she just makes stuff and sends it to a local shop for selling now, but anyway, I got one of her tote style bags and it really looks like it'd be easy to sew if you have any type of sewing experience. It works well as a mini-diaper/kidstuff bag. It's about the size of a cloth shopping bag - which could also be used or altered to work for a diaper/kids bag. :)

 

If you drive places, you can keep some of your extra supplies in your car and just keep the necessities on your person.

post #13 of 16

Wow, with DD we needed hardly anything for her (even with cloth diapers.) However I kept a grocery tote of "back ups" in the car and put a few essentials in my big bag (I carry a mary poppins size bag now but that will change with baby wearing again.) I like the back pack over all, mostly because it was easy to swap back and forth between my DH and I. (He refused to use a diaper bag based on his feelings of being demasulinized.. blah blah blah eyesroll.gif) Anyhow, I always wondered if a fancy diaper bag would have been easier to navigate with all the cool pockets inside, but I will keep the $$ resources to things like carseats and diapers... and if the perfect bag manifests, great.

post #14 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayiscoming2006 View Post

Here's the diaper bag I have. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SG77R8/ref=oh_details_o04_s01_i01

They used to have more styles of it on amazon. I only paid $23. But any that can be worn just over the shoulder and adjusted to be messenger style if needed would be my personal preference.

I also have a smaller over the shoulder bag that was handmade from this seller https://www.facebook.com/juanitashandmade. I don't know if she is selling online anymore. I think she just makes stuff and sends it to a local shop for selling now, but anyway, I got one of her tote style bags and it really looks like it'd be easy to sew if you have any type of sewing experience. It works well as a mini-diaper/kidstuff bag. It's about the size of a cloth shopping bag - which could also be used or altered to work for a diaper/kids bag. :)

 

If you drive places, you can keep some of your extra supplies in your car and just keep the necessities on your person.

Juanita's Handmade stuff is so cute!

 

 

Okay, so Pros of a conventional diaper bag -

 

Usually more stylish

compartmentalized for easy access to items/organization

personal preference - easier to maneuver/access items, easier to carry

 

Cons of conventional diaper bag -

 

May need to get something else for partner

tend to be large

personal preference - harder to carry (one shoulder carrying throws me off balance! and slides off my shoulder). 

 

 

Pros of a backpack  -

 

more options for smaller versions (I might be wrong on this)

more gender neutral (only have to buy one bag - although the messenger style diaper bags come in more masculine styles)I

personal preference - easier to carry (shoulders more secure)/more hands free

 

cons of backpack -

 

not as stylish

harder to access on back

harder to organize (not as compartmentalized)

personal preference - not as comfortable/easy to carry

 

 

I'll probably get a small back pack type bag, then decide if I need something more compartmentalized/accessible later.....I also have a messenger style bag that I got for us last time, but to be honest I hated it, and we almost never used it.  (It was super uncomfortable, and my range of motion was limited because the bag would swing around if I moved too much or needed to bend down). Maybe that is what I can leave in the car.....

post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabySmurf View Post

Juanita's Handmade stuff is so cute!

 

 

 

I'll probably get a small back pack type bag, then decide if I need something more compartmentalized/accessible later.....I also have a messenger style bag that I got for us last time, but to be honest I hated it, and we almost never used it.  (It was super uncomfortable, and my range of motion was limited because the bag would swing around if I moved too much or needed to bend down). Maybe that is what I can leave in the car.....

 

If you really like her stuff, send her a message and you can see if she can make you something. I think she might do that. She has 3 little girls and for the moment stays at home with them. I ran my bag through the washer and dryer a few times and it still looks pretty good. Or I think I ran it through the dryer, but I may have just hung it up to dry? Anyway, it holds up well.

 

I understand how you feel about the messenger bag, I usually did leave mine in the car. But, it was easier to use than a backpack while having baby in the carrier in my opinion. I often baby wear when I'm out shopping or wherever when they are little. 

post #16 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayiscoming2006 View Post

 

If you really like her stuff, send her a message and you can see if she can make you something. I think she might do that. She has 3 little girls and for the moment stays at home with them. I ran my bag through the washer and dryer a few times and it still looks pretty good. Or I think I ran it through the dryer, but I may have just hung it up to dry? Anyway, it holds up well.

 

I understand how you feel about the messenger bag, I usually did leave mine in the car. But, it was easier to use than a backpack while having baby in the carrier in my opinion. I often baby wear when I'm out shopping or wherever when they are little. 


I just might get in touch with her!! Yay :)

  Return Home
  Back to Forum: June 2013 Due Date Club
Mothering › Groups › June 2013 Due Date Club › Discussions › How do you carry your baby gear?