My 3mo is growing out of her yellow edge GMD prefolds and size 1 Bummis prefolds and I need to buy something bigger. I had originally thought I would get the sizes up... red edge, size 2... but these ones I have now got so rough and pilly so fast! Everything you read says "gets softer over time! softer with each wash!" and these are the total opposite. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong with my washing or if it's just this particular fabric. It is SO rough, almost canvas-y. My old prefolds from 5 years ago are just fine, nice and soft, don't remember what brand they are. I talked to GMD and they said they didn't have any other complaints. So, I am worried about spending more money on more prefolds that might get rough too. I would like something nice and soft for babe's bottom! What is everyone's experience with PFs - do you know of a brand that stays soft? or should I look elsewhere for something like fancy cotton velour fitteds?
Mothering Top Picks
- categoryDiaperingtagged by System, 1/12/13
Related Forum Threads
- making cloth baby wipes Last post on Yesterday at 9:38 pm in Diapering
- Diaper rash advice needed... Last post on 12/4/13 at 10:51am in Diapering
- What to do with your no-longer-needed cloth diapers? Last post on 12/2/13 at 7:29pm in Diapering
- Rough/Scratchy Prefolds Last post on 11/20/13 at 8:47am in Diapering
- Alva 4.0 & Gdiaper hack Last post on 11/28/13 at 9:53am in Diapering
The Real Scoop on 10 Natural Diaper Creams: Toxicity and Cloth...
Last edited: 10/6/13
- Cloth Diaper Guide: Top 10 Picks from the Mothering CommunityLast edited: 10/9/13
- Dumping Disposable DiapersLast edited: 4/10/13
- Crazy For Cloth: The Benefits Of Cloth DiapersLast edited: 10/18/12
- Grapefruit Seed Extract to Treat ThrushLast edited: 9/19/10
Buying for the next size up?post #1 of 61/11/13 at 5:38pmThread Starterpost #2 of 61/11/13 at 5:48pmThread Starter
And I suppose the other question to ask here is, what could I have done wrong in my washing to make these rough and pilly? I used Biokleen Free and Clear for some time, since have switched to Charlie's - I do a cold or warm light wash with a little detergent, then a hot wash with reg amount and extra rinse - then hot dry.
post #3 of 61/11/13 at 6:25pmpost #4 of 61/13/13 at 1:14pm
Charlies needs you to add a disinfectant at least ever couple of washes with cloth diapers. It could be part of the problem.
Rinse/pre wash first, it is truly icky the colour of that first rinse water coming out of the machine. warm does a better job.
wash in what ever temperature works for you. if you pre wash, you can probably skip the extra rinse.post #5 of 61/21/13 at 8:14ampost #6 of 62/14/13 at 7:29pm
I had the Diaper Rite prefolds from diaper junction (I think they're Indian prefolds) and found that the next size up was outgrown in a wink. In retrospect I should have seen how quickly DD was gaining weight and known that I could probably skip a size and save a few bucks.
I also used mostly Charlie's with the occasional Biokleen free and clear to wash prefolds. Never used any disinfectant - unless the very occasional bit of vinegar in the rinse cycle counts? I actually rinsed poopy diapers before placing them in the laundry bag, then just washed with a single hot cycle. (I was using a coin op machine and trying to save money.) Always dried on hot. I never had problems with getting the diapers clean.
And the diapers are still nice and soft - not pilly or scratchy.
The only thing I can think of to suggest would be a final rinse with vinegar to help soften them up? That wouldn't help with the pilliness issue, though.
- Cloth Diaper Guide: Top 10 Picks from the Mothering Community
- › November Chat Thread 8 minutes ago
- › The "Progressing / Positive / Impending / I'm in Labor" Thread 12 minutes ago
- › Am I overreacting? 15 minutes ago
- › Scary toys from memory lane! 17 minutes ago
- › Warning Your children aren't even safe in your locked yard from sex... 32 minutes ago
- › milestones 34 minutes ago
- › July's Jubilantly Jovial DDC Roster 41 minutes ago
- › Single Mamas By Choice 43 minutes ago
- › Welcome Babies! 47 minutes ago
- › Is anyone still testing? 49 minutes ago
- › The Polar Express by dangill
- › The Night Before Christmas by Melanie Mayo
- › The Snow Queen by Melanie Mayo
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by Melanie Mayo
- › The Snowy Day by Melanie Mayo
- › Christmas in the Big Woods by Melanie Mayo
- › Diva Cup Diva Cup #2 Post Childbirth, Cup by Taqah
- › GroVia Cloth All In One - Pudge by Taqah
- › North American Bear Company Rosy Cheeks Baby Tan by Taqah
- › Maya Wrap Lightly Padded Baby Sling by Taqah
- › Developmental Milestones to Marvel At by Marcy Axness
- › 15 Fun and Enchanting Holiday Tales for Children by Monica S
- › To Santa or Not To Santa by JillVettel
- › Three Low Cost Holiday Gifts to Make with Kids by Monica S
- › Mothering with Mental Illness: The Natural... by OliviaHinebaugh
- › A Difficult Conversation by Melanie Mayo
- › Does Motherhood Matter Anymore? by Melanie Mayo
- › Terms and Conditions: Holiday Cards Giveaway... by Cynthia Mosher
- › Mothering's Natural Toy Guide 2013 by Melanie Mayo
- › Top 20 Toy Picks for 2013 | Mothering Natural... by Melanie Mayo