My 3mo is growing out of her yellow edge GMD prefolds and size 1 Bummis prefolds and I need to buy something bigger. I had originally thought I would get the sizes up... red edge, size 2... but these ones I have now got so rough and pilly so fast! Everything you read says "gets softer over time! softer with each wash!" and these are the total opposite. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong with my washing or if it's just this particular fabric. It is SO rough, almost canvas-y. My old prefolds from 5 years ago are just fine, nice and soft, don't remember what brand they are. I talked to GMD and they said they didn't have any other complaints. So, I am worried about spending more money on more prefolds that might get rough too. I would like something nice and soft for babe's bottom! What is everyone's experience with PFs - do you know of a brand that stays soft? or should I look elsewhere for something like fancy cotton velour fitteds?
Mothering Top Picks
- categoryDiaperingtagged by System, 1/11/13
Related Forum Threads
- Help me decide -- ME OS vs EconoME Last post on 3/12/14 at 12:08pm in Diapering
- Wool covers, inserts and a two year old Last post on Today at 7:34 am in Diapering
- Hard water Last post on 3/8/14 at 9:06pm in Diapering
- best way to strip diapers Last post on 3/7/14 at 2:42pm in Diapering
- Diapers still sudsy after rinsing Last post on 3/6/14 at 3:17pm in Diapering
The Real Scoop on 10 Natural Diaper Creams: Toxicity and Cloth...
Last edited: 10/6/13
- Cloth Diaper Guide: Top 10 Picks from the Mothering CommunityLast edited: 10/9/13
- Dumping Disposable DiapersLast edited: 4/10/13
- Crazy For Cloth: The Benefits Of Cloth DiapersLast edited: 10/18/12
- Grapefruit Seed Extract to Treat ThrushLast edited: 9/19/10
Buying for the next size up?post #1 of 61/11/13 at 5:38pmThread Starterpost #2 of 61/11/13 at 5:48pmThread Starter
And I suppose the other question to ask here is, what could I have done wrong in my washing to make these rough and pilly? I used Biokleen Free and Clear for some time, since have switched to Charlie's - I do a cold or warm light wash with a little detergent, then a hot wash with reg amount and extra rinse - then hot dry.
post #3 of 61/11/13 at 6:25pmpost #4 of 61/13/13 at 1:14pm
Charlies needs you to add a disinfectant at least ever couple of washes with cloth diapers. It could be part of the problem.
Rinse/pre wash first, it is truly icky the colour of that first rinse water coming out of the machine. warm does a better job.
wash in what ever temperature works for you. if you pre wash, you can probably skip the extra rinse.post #5 of 61/21/13 at 8:14ampost #6 of 62/14/13 at 7:29pm
I had the Diaper Rite prefolds from diaper junction (I think they're Indian prefolds) and found that the next size up was outgrown in a wink. In retrospect I should have seen how quickly DD was gaining weight and known that I could probably skip a size and save a few bucks.
I also used mostly Charlie's with the occasional Biokleen free and clear to wash prefolds. Never used any disinfectant - unless the very occasional bit of vinegar in the rinse cycle counts? I actually rinsed poopy diapers before placing them in the laundry bag, then just washed with a single hot cycle. (I was using a coin op machine and trying to save money.) Always dried on hot. I never had problems with getting the diapers clean.
And the diapers are still nice and soft - not pilly or scratchy.
The only thing I can think of to suggest would be a final rinse with vinegar to help soften them up? That wouldn't help with the pilliness issue, though.
- Cloth Diaper Guide: Top 10 Picks from the Mothering Community
- › Tick/ lyme disease danger at school! 4 minutes ago
- › Due Date Community on Facebook? 8 minutes ago
- › Baby Shower Ideas 9 minutes ago
- › Im PG!! woowooo 13 minutes ago
- › Mumps outbreak in Columbus, OH 15 minutes ago
- › Third Trimester! 16 minutes ago
- › Anyone showing already? 20 minutes ago
- › Montessori in Salt Lake 22 minutes ago
- › BUMPS and Belly Shots!! 23 minutes ago
- › ds's BABY teeth are crooked! Help! 23 minutes ago
- › Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver by ss834
- › Pyur Diaper Balm by MimiPilla
- › Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, Fragrance Free, by KatelynRose
- › Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Video Monitor with 2.5"... by thebessmartinfo
- › Happy Heiny's One Size Cloth Diapers by SquirmyWorm
- › Homesteader's Kitchen, The: Recipes from Farm to Table by Monica S
- › Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin, 90 Tablets by glwilson22
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › The Night Before Christmas by rjdoghouse
- › The Polar Express by sassyfirechick
- › 8 Ways Natural Birth Helps With Breastfeeding by Sarah Clark
- › Probiotics and Your Little Ones by JenniO11
- › The Debate Over Handheld Devices for Babies... by Marcy Axness
- › Preparing your Child to Attend a... by OliviaHinebaugh
- › Am I A Bad Mother or Has Africa Run Out of... by BrainChild
- › Your Two-Year-Old Knows Squatting is Better by Melanie Mayo
- › Okay to Leave Kids in the Car While Popping... by Melanie Mayo
- › Laundry Zen by Laura Grace Weldon
- › High Needs Mother by BrainChild
- › Homebirth Forum Guidelines by Cynthia Mosher