- 24,176 Posts. Joined 7/2002
- Location: Portland, OR
- Select All Posts By This User
- topicReduce Reuse Recycle
Related Forum Threads
- Torn about reusing vs donating Last post on 3/19/13 at 7:22am in Reduce, Reuse and Recycle
- Who won? Any word on the "frugal tips" contest? Last post on 2/12/13 at 1:08pm in Reduce, Reuse and Recycle
- What Do You Do Last post on 3/26/13 at 12:00pm in Reduce, Reuse and Recycle
- Which is the least wasteful option? Last post on 2/10/13 at 6:59am in Reduce, Reuse and Recycle
- Organizing for reuse, recycling, etc. Last post on 2/5/13 at 6:54pm in Reduce, Reuse and Recycle
Reduce, Reuse or Recycle? Which do you do the most?
Reduce. We buy less. If I simply have to buy something in a plastic bottle, I try to find one that looks like something I could use for a craft project when it's empty, which is reusing of course. Mostly, though, I just buy less. My next step is to find core-less toilet paper!
Ask the grocery store to sell you some zucchini NOT resting on a foam tray. Make your own mayo instead of buying a jar of it. Thing like that are how I bring less into the house.
WRT to recycling, if I have a choice of a plastic container or glass, say for some jam, I will pay a bit more for glass (assuming they're both a "healthy" brand) because glass can be recycled endlessly and plastic can not.
The recycling gets me. The amount of paper is incredible. And we don't even get a newspaper.
Reduce, by a long shot.
Like blessedwithboys, I simply bring home less of everything, less packaging, fewer boxes, less, less, less. I refuse to buy most stuff simply because I am too overwhelmed and maybe a bit lazy as well to handle most of the crap that comes into an average American household.
I reuse jars when I can, recycle the bits I don't. But really, I think my biggest effort is in leaving most stuff at the store.
That said, my kids dig a massive recycling pile for art projects. They often nip away to the neighbors to steal stuff from their recycling bins.
We focus on "reduce;" we feel this is the best way to address environmental and financial stresses. A few times a year I reassess our consumption and waste generation and make a few changes that permanently solve certain household issues (laundry, cleaning, food, transportation, entertainment etc.) We also reuse and recycle, but reduce is far more important to us.
"Refuse" comes first: refuse to be part of the problem. Too much paper? If from catalogs, put your name on the do not mail list (write to Direct Marketing Association). If from office, be mindful and move toward paperless office?
Re-think. Reduce. Repair. Re-use. And then, if you really can't think of anything else, recycle.
Try this trick: go for plastic free.
Not easy, I know (I'm still trying). But you will cut down, in one fell swoop, of your recycling volume and your regular garbage volume (this one baffles me, but it's true). You will also get away from all the nasty chemicals involved in making plastic.
Good luck, it's a long road. But the farther we get down that road, the better for us and the planet.
- Reduce, Reuse or Recycle? Which do you do the most?
- › ~+~+~+~+~ May 2013 Chat *~*~*~*~* 6 minutes ago
- › What's for dinner girls? 11 minutes ago
- › genetic testing 13 minutes ago
- › Baby Shopping List 15 minutes ago
- › Look how cute the May 2013 DDC babies are! 27 minutes ago
- › Gestational Diabetes Testing 28 minutes ago
- › ~Weekly Chat Thread for May 17th-May 23~ 29 minutes ago
- › He's here! 32 minutes ago
- › receding gums- any way to prevent or reverse? 35 minutes ago
- › Tetanis help - pic 36 minutes ago
- › The First Years Breastflow BPA Free Bottle, 5 Ounce by KaliShanti
- › Simple Wishes Hands-Free Breastpump Bra, XS/S/M by KaliShanti
- › Seal N Go Breast Milk Freezer Disposable Liners - 25 / Pack by KaliShanti
- › Medela Quick Clean Micro-Steam Bags by KaliShanti
- › Lansinoh 20435 Breastmilk Storage Bags, 25-Count Boxes (Pack of 3) by KaliShanti
- › Medela Pump and Save Storage Bags- 20-count by KaliShanti
- › Philips AVENT ISIS Manual Breast Pump, White by KaliShanti
- › Ameda Purely Yours Ultra Breast Pump by KaliShanti
- › Philips AVENT BPA Free Natural Polypropylene Bottles by KaliShanti
- › Gilligan & O'Malley® Womens Full Sling Long Nursing Tank by KaliShanti
- › My Heart Growing Fonder by VKHarberRYT
- › Happy Simple Baby Love by Melanie Mayo
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer... by Melanie Mayo
- › Relax. Parenting Is Supposed to Be Messy,... by Brian Leaf
- › Managing Mom Stress: Sharing Tips and Trying... by Melanie Mayo
- › Who Wants to Sleep Alone? by Cynthia Mosher
- › Should I Train My Child....Like a Dog?! by Sarah Clark
- › Mothering Articles by Melanie Mayo