- 3,134 Posts. Joined 1/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- herd immunity - science and philosophy of. Last post on 7/28/11 at 12:05pm in Vaccinations
- Is it dangerous to skip the MMR and Chickenpox vaccine? Last post on 8/25/12 at 2:54pm in Vaccinations
- Vaccine eradication of disease Last post on 6/29/11 at 1:41pm in Vaccinations
- So, what if the kid is now 12 and no sign of chicken pox? Last post on 6/10/11 at 5:04pm in Vaccinations
- DH has shingles.... how to prepare for chicken pox? Last post on Today at 8:27 am in I'm Not Vaccinating
Vaccinations: Why All the Fuss?
Edited on 2/24/13
- Resources for Non-vaccinating FamiliesEdited on 1/18/13
- Frontline's War on Selectively Vaccinating ParentsEdited on 3/14/13
- The Right to RefuseEdited on 3/20/13
- Of Mainstream Media, Hate Mail, and VaccinesEdited on 3/14/13
Are there serious risks for chicken pox vaccine for adults? - Page 3post #41 of 972/20/13 at 1:09pmI was responding to the assertion that none of the ingredients were naturally occurring.post #42 of 972/21/13 at 4:39pm
Lydilu, it appears that the four week wait is after each dose. Since you would get two doses as an adult, and you must wait 4-8 weeks between doses as well, that time frame in the Merck insert is correct for adult women wishing to become pregnant. Also CDC states, that though no birth defects were reported (when administered during pregnancy) that the risk, albeit low, cannot be excluded.
I would also ask your practitioner which form of antibody titer testing was utilized because there is a notable difference in sensitivity of tests regarding varicella, ELISA is not very sensitive apparently and others are favored over it.
Regarding your own varicella case as an infant, CDC sees it the same, whether a child had the infection before one year of age, or if the infection was mild (versus moderate or severe), it all counts the same and the child need not be vaccinated. I realize that you are an adult but I felt you might be interested in this info.
An interesting note, I had a conversation with my own veterinarian regarding titers and he doesn't find them reliable, I think more specificially, due to the accepted dilution that supposedly shows immunity, because memory cells cannot be measured. Memory cells (B and T) will recall the first exposure to infection years later and build antibodies also, but they cannot be measured. So more specifically, his feelings are probably that one cannot rely upon the titer reading since additional antibodies are likely to be made in the event of a second exposure so long as the first shows some sort of antibody response . This is similar to something I heard from Ronald Schultz, he is a veterinary vaccine researcher, probably the leading one in the US. I attended his lectures. apparently any response, regardless of dilutions on a viral titer is sufficient, I believe he was implying what my own vet had stated about memory cells kicking in when the body was once again faced with the same virus. Unfortunately, the same could not be said of bacteria titers though.
Anyhoo, just a bit more to consider in your decision.post #43 of 972/23/13 at 8:45pm
Just because a particular combination of molecules - a chemical - exists somewhere in some form in nature does not mean that creating an isolated version of it and injecting it directly into the body is safe. Studies have shown that synthetic vitamin A and synthetic beta carotene (or an isolated version of it) used as dietary supplements both can cause health problems (liver toxicity with vitamin A and worsening cancer prospects with beta carotene. That may be because the synthetic copies are not exactly the same, or it may be that when in food, there are other unknown supporting nutrients that counteract any negative effects. We just don't know enough to know why. Same with other synthetic chemicals -- we are experimenting with things we don't fully understand. I don't want to be a guinea pig, much less allow my children to be used as such.
I just heard about a family whose child was stillborn after the mother received chicken pox and flu shots while pregnant. Nobody knows if the shots were the cause or not, but they suspect they were.post #44 of 972/23/13 at 9:21pm
Right, Marnica, I found all that. All I was able to find is that glutamate is considered an excitotoxin at high doses. But what's a high dose in this instance? How does the effect change if it's oral versus IM? And would the amount of glutamate in a vaccine reach that level? Some basic questions I would need answers to before I get too concerned about the issue. Any compound needs to reach a certain level (which varies based on several factors) to have any effect.post #45 of 972/24/13 at 1:23amQuote:
Not trying to be argumentative, but those basic questions are among the many i would like answered before I feel comfortable with having the drug administered.post #46 of 972/24/13 at 7:13ampost #47 of 972/24/13 at 7:26amI've always been told that if you've had multiple exposures you probably had it and didn't realize it. (I have no specific memory of chickenpox but I know my siblings, including my twin, had it. I was advised not to worry about it.)post #48 of 972/24/13 at 3:12pmQuote:
Hey, fair enough. I just get irritated by the "X could be toxic under some circumstances therefore OMG AVOID IT AT ALL TIMES EVER". I think that is a reductive and inaccurate way of looking at it, no matter your opinion on vaccines.post #49 of 972/25/13 at 7:55amQuote:
I disagree. Here are a few examples, where natural substances are often dangerous when altered:
Genetically modified organisms
Salt--highly processed salt is stripped of minerals, so it is different than salt found in nature.post #50 of 972/25/13 at 8:27amSome of those are very debatable, but the key difference is ALTERED vs SYNTHESIZED. The two are not the same. Of course you can make a safe substance harmful by altering it. I can "alter" water into hydrogen. The question is if you replicate it in a lab is it really different than when it's naturally occurring.post #51 of 972/25/13 at 8:42am
And salt--I prefer my salt to be natural, with minerals.post #52 of 972/25/13 at 9:56ampost #53 of 972/25/13 at 9:58amThe very first sentence of your link:
"There is little difference between the natural and synthetic forms of most vitamins. But with vitamin E, natural is better. "
And saying natural is better is not the same as synthetic is harmful.post #54 of 972/25/13 at 12:06pmpost #55 of 972/25/13 at 12:09pmpost #56 of 972/25/13 at 12:10pmpost #57 of 972/25/13 at 2:47pmQuote:
It's far more important to remember that when vaccines are clearly not harmless to several susceptible sub-groups. Even the manufacturers admit that they can cause death, and the US government has classified them as "unavoidably unsafe."
It's not a question of whether or not they "could" be toxic. We already know that for some people, they have been toxic. So to repeatedly try to convince us that vaccine ingredients are "harmless in small amounts" when people have literally died from them is, from my perspective, inexcusable.post #58 of 972/25/13 at 2:49pmpost #59 of 972/25/13 at 5:01pm
Before you start accusing people of spin, maybe you should review the cases of vaccine-induced seizure disorders, brain damage, severe autoimmune disorders and resultant deaths that the US Department of Health and Human Services has admitted and compensated.post #60 of 972/25/13 at 5:11pm
I have read that stuff, and I have looked at the statistics, and vaccine reactions happen - but are very rare (and I'm sorry it happened in your family).
If you banned all things which had any risk of killing or seriously hurting someone accidently or due to a rare reaction there'd be nothing left....
- Are there serious risks for chicken pox vaccine for adults?
- Resources for Non-vaccinating Families
- › Anyone nesting yet? 2 minutes ago
- › Leave Your Kids at the Park? 2 minutes ago
- › How are you feeling? 3 minutes ago
- › So depressed, hormonal, emotional 3 minutes ago
- › *** Belly Thread *** May 2013 *** 6 minutes ago
- › genetic testing 8 minutes ago
- › Gut healing while pregnant 10 minutes ago
- › Heartbeat....? 10 minutes ago
- › Dinner - What Are You Having? 13 minutes ago
- › how is everyone feeling? 14 minutes ago
- › The First Years Breastflow BPA Free Bottle, 5 Ounce by KaliShanti
- › Simple Wishes Hands-Free Breastpump Bra, XS/S/M by KaliShanti
- › Seal N Go Breast Milk Freezer Disposable Liners - 25 / Pack by KaliShanti
- › Medela Quick Clean Micro-Steam Bags by KaliShanti
- › Lansinoh 20435 Breastmilk Storage Bags, 25-Count Boxes (Pack of 3) by KaliShanti
- › Medela Pump and Save Storage Bags- 20-count by KaliShanti
- › Philips AVENT ISIS Manual Breast Pump, White by KaliShanti
- › Ameda Purely Yours Ultra Breast Pump by KaliShanti
- › Philips AVENT BPA Free Natural Polypropylene Bottles by KaliShanti
- › Gilligan & O'Malley® Womens Full Sling Long Nursing Tank by KaliShanti
- › My Heart Growing Fonder by VKHarberRYT
- › Happy Simple Baby Love by Melanie Mayo
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer... by Melanie Mayo
- › Relax. Parenting Is Supposed to Be Messy,... by Brian Leaf
- › Managing Mom Stress: Sharing Tips and Trying... by Melanie Mayo
- › Who Wants to Sleep Alone? by Cynthia Mosher
- › Should I Train My Child....Like a Dog?! by Sarah Clark
- › Mothering Articles by Melanie Mayo