or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Baby Health › Vaccinations › Questions re: my unvax'd kids
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Questions re: my unvax'd kids

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 

Hi, when I was pregnant with my first son, my friend's baby had a reaction to the DTP shot. She cried for hours, went stiff all over and it was later determined that she had "failure to thrive."  She passed away at 13. 

 

During that time I began to research vaccines and my husband and I decided we wouldn't do them. At least not for the first few years.  Too many risks, considering my friend's experience and the fact that our family on both sides are plauged with auto-immune diseases including RA, Sclero, Lupus, Chrones & more...  

 

I breast fed for 2.5 years, found a pediatrician and chiropractor who supported our decision. We had another son and never questioned our decision -- we were well supported. Then we moved from a big city to a small country town where people have never heard of not vaccinating.  We get lots of questions, but so far no real pressure. I simply had to sign forms at school and at our GP's office.  I haven't done any recent research (and I'm sorry if this seems lazy, but I've been really sick with an autoimmune disease), but lately I've been asked and considering several questions:

 

Can someone please help me out by giving me some info about the following:

 

  1. If my boys step on a rusty old nail at a farmhouse, what should be done? (They are always playing around old country farms)
  2.  My boys have never had titers ran so I do not know the state of their natural immunity.  How much does that test generally cost and who would do it for me? 
  3. If I find they are not immune to certain illnesses, which vaccinations should I 'selectively' consider?
  4.  If they are not immune to Chicken Pox will they put their pregnant wives in danger? 
  5.  If my son decides to go into the Military, will he get "mass vaccination" or will they allow him this choice?
  6. Will a private or state college hold the "unvaxxed" status against him?
  7. If we decide to vaccinate at this age (14) what vax's would the doctor suggest (a few/all)?

 

Thank you!  I have been reading the forum for several weeks now and I greatly appreciate the discussions.  

post #2 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by teens View Post

Hi, when I was pregnant with my first son, my friend's baby had a reaction to the DTP shot. She cried for hours, went stiff all over and it was later determined that she had "failure to thrive."  She passed away at 13. 

 

During that time I began to research vaccines and my husband and I decided we wouldn't do them. At least not for the first few years.  Too many risks, considering my friend's experience and the fact that our family on both sides are plauged with auto-immune diseases including RA, Sclero, Lupus, Chrones & more...  

 

I breast fed for 2.5 years, found a pediatrician and chiropractor who supported our decision. We had another son and never questioned our decision -- we were well supported. Then we moved from a big city to a small country town where people have never heard of not vaccinating.  We get lots of questions, but so far no real pressure. I simply had to sign forms at school and at our GP's office.  I haven't done any recent research (and I'm sorry if this seems lazy, but I've been really sick with an autoimmune disease), but lately I've been asked and considering several questions:

 

Can someone please help me out by giving me some info about the following:

 

  1. If my boys step on a rusty old nail at a farmhouse, what should be done? (They are always playing around old country farms)
  2.  My boys have never had titers ran so I do not know the state of their natural immunity.  How much does that test generally cost and who would do it for me? 
  3. If I find they are not immune to certain illnesses, which vaccinations should I 'selectively' consider?
  4.  If they are not immune to Chicken Pox will they put their pregnant wives in danger? 
  5.  If my son decides to go into the Military, will he get "mass vaccination" or will they allow him this choice?
  6. Will a private or state college hold the "unvaxxed" status against him?
  7. If we decide to vaccinate at this age (14) what vax's would the doctor suggest (a few/all)?

 

Thank you!  I have been reading the forum for several weeks now and I greatly appreciate the discussions.  

Well I will take a stab at your questions:

 

1) If my boys step on a rusty old nail at a farmhouse, what should be done? (They are always playing around old country farms)

    The most important thing would be to assess the wound, make sure it bleeds and to clean it properly. Tetanus can only develop in anaerobic conditions.  If you feel it is a risky injury, go to the ER and ask for the TIG

 

2)  My boys have never had titers ran so I do not know the state of their natural immunity.  How much does that test generally cost and who would do it for me? 

  The mopst obvious person to ask would be your primary care doctor. I have no idea what the tests cost. I'm sure cost varies. If you cannot find any doctor to run the titre tests, you can order your own tests via direct labs on dr. Tenpenny's site. http://drtenpenny.com/titer-tests/

 

3) If I find they are not immune to certain illnesses, which vaccinations should I 'selectively' consider?

hmmm well you would have to look at the diseases again and do another risk/benefit analysis for your boys. 

 

4) If they are not immune to Chicken Pox will they put their pregnant wives in danger? 

   No. Only if their wife has not had CP (or been vaccinated) already would there possibly be a problem. CP in a pregnant mother can be dangerous to the fetus in the first trimester. 

 

5)  If my son decides to go into the Military, will he get "mass vaccination" or will they allow him this choice?

Yes he will get everything under the sun and all at once. My brother in law and sister in law both are military. There is no choice about it. 

 

6) Will a private or state college hold the "unvaxxed" status against him?

Doubtful. Most states vaccine exemption laws include private colleges. You would have to look up your own state's laws however. A state school would not be an issue. 

 

 

7) If we decide to vaccinate at this age (14) what vax's would the doctor suggest (a few/all)?

   Couldn't possibly answer this. You'd have to ask your doctor. I think it would depend a great deal on the doctor and how relaxed they are about the entire issue. If they are vax happy - they will likely suggest getting up to date with most of them with the exception of things like rotavirus which is not an issues at your kids age. 

post #3 of 9

I vaccinate, so take this for what it is worth with that disclaimer.  But the following would be my answers.

 

If my boys step on a rusty old nail at a farmhouse, what should be done? (They are always playing around old country farms)

I grew up on a farm and this was always an issue.  First, always clean the wound properly.  And in my personal opinion, the boy should get a tetnus shot.  Tetnus is awful and a rusty old nail on a farm with a puncture wound is a textbook case.  By the same token if they are bitten by a suspicious animal that cannot be captured and tested, they should receive rabies shots.  These are circumstances that are more problematic with country living than city living.

 

My boys have never had titers ran so I do not know the state of their natural immunity. How much does that test generally cost and who would do it for me?

Your primary Care physician should be able to order it. potentially the county health department as well.  The cost will vary.  I had a titer for Varicella ran before I TTC and it was $180.

 

If I find they are not immune to certain illnesses, which vaccinations should I 'selectively' consider?

With two boys,  I would consider MMR.  Mumps in adult males can cause infertility

 

If they are not immune to Chicken Pox will they put their pregnant wives in danger?

No.  Chicken pox is dangerous for pregnant women to contract.  But assuming their wives are immune this will not be an issue.  Chicken pox in an adult does have a higher complication rate than chicken pox in a child, but it will not put their pregnant wives in danger

 

If my son decides to go into the Military, will he get "mass vaccination" or will they allow him this choice?

Most likely he will be given mass vaccination.  Some of it will depend on troop levels at the time.  Some people have recently avoided vaccination.  The military needed more recruits than they had at the time.  But in general joining the military necessitates being up to date on vaccinations.  If he deploys he will be given even more

 

Will a private or state college hold the "unvaxxed" status against him?

Depends.  Private insitutions can, and some probably do.  I would guess if they do it will have more to do with housing choices than admissions  Public colleges have exemptions.  However, some programs (nursing for example) at some public and private instiutions require vaccinations

 

If we decide to vaccinate at this age (14) what vax's would the doctor suggest (a few/all)?

Depends on the doctor.  Not All, as they will not give rotavirus for sure.  My guess is most doctors would recommend polio, dtap, and MMR. 

post #4 of 9

If i were considering vaxing my 14yr old, i would want the teen's input on what's being done to his/her body.  And, that teen should have full access to all info available to at least get an idea of what's going on with the issue

post #5 of 9

As a 43-year old who is still suffering through a bout of chicken pox that I probably caught from an unvaccinated kid, I can tell you that you are not doing your children any favors by letting them remain unprotected. Chicken pox in adults is far more dangerous than it is in children, with complication risks that can include pneumonia and encephalitis. I have been house bound for a week and probably will be for at least the next 5 days. The rash is hideous and I have probably lost ten pounds from the side effects of the anti-viral meds I am on. And, on top of everything, I was going to get the vaccine ten years ago because I was thinking of the dangers of having chicken pox while pregnant ( serious birth defects) and I had a blood test that showed I had been exposed to the virus, even though I never had a full-blown case. So, my doctor told me I had immunity and didn't need the shot. 

 

I think other people have answered the majority of questions on your list. Seriously, get your kids vaccinated for chicken pox. Any slight risk of side effects pales in comparison to how much they will suffer if they catch this virus now or later on in adulthood. And yes, if a pregnant woman catches it. it can cause all types of problems for the baby. Just go on the CDC website or Mayo Clinic on line. This is scary stuff.

post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARsf View Post

As a 43-year old who is still suffering through a bout of chicken pox that I probably caught from an unvaccinated kid, I can tell you that you are not doing your children any favors by letting them remain unprotected. Chicken pox in adults is far more dangerous than it is in children, with complication risks that can include pneumonia and encephalitis. I have been house bound for a week and probably will be for at least the next 5 days. The rash is hideous and I have probably lost ten pounds from the side effects of the anti-viral meds I am on. And, on top of everything, I was going to get the vaccine ten years ago because I was thinking of the dangers of having chicken pox while pregnant ( serious birth defects) and I had a blood test that showed I had been exposed to the virus, even though I never had a full-blown case. So, my doctor told me I had immunity and didn't need the shot. 

 

I think other people have answered the majority of questions on your list. Seriously, get your kids vaccinated for chicken pox. Any slight risk of side effects pales in comparison to how much they will suffer if they catch this virus now or later on in adulthood. And yes, if a pregnant woman catches it. it can cause all types of problems for the baby. Just go on the CDC website or Mayo Clinic on line. This is scary stuff.

I find the first bolded  totally obnoxious. Since vaccinated kids get CP, you could have caught it from any kid basically. 2 kids in my sons preschool just got DX's with CP, both vaccinated so go figure. 

As for your experience, I could say the same thing. I had CP as an adult. I was housebound too for a week plus (thats pretty standard for CP). I did not take antivirals and I suffered no ill effects - so the second bolded is bull. You cannot possibly make a statement like that. 

post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARsf View Post

As a 43-year old who is still suffering through a bout of chicken pox that I probably caught from an unvaccinated kid, I can tell you that you are not doing your children any favors by letting them remain unprotected. Chicken pox in adults is far more dangerous than it is in children, with complication risks that can include pneumonia and encephalitis. I have been house bound for a week and probably will be for at least the next 5 days. The rash is hideous and I have probably lost ten pounds from the side effects of the anti-viral meds I am on. And, on top of everything, I was going to get the vaccine ten years ago because I was thinking of the dangers of having chicken pox while pregnant ( serious birth defects) and I had a blood test that showed I had been exposed to the virus, even though I never had a full-blown case. So, my doctor told me I had immunity and didn't need the shot. 

 

I think other people have answered the majority of questions on your list. Seriously, get your kids vaccinated for chicken pox. Any slight risk of side effects pales in comparison to how much they will suffer if they catch this virus now or later on in adulthood. And yes, if a pregnant woman catches it. it can cause all types of problems for the baby. Just go on the CDC website or Mayo Clinic on line. This is scary stuff.

 

You stated yourself that you are suffering from side effects from your meds.

 

My sister had chicken pox when she was 36. She took Rhus tox., oatmeal baths and calamine lotion and had lots of rest. I had chicken pox as a child when there was no vax available. Since the cp vax has been introduced  I noticed that shingles are on the rise in younger folks. Just makes me wonder!

post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmy526 View Post

If i were considering vaxing my 14yr old, i would want the teen's input on what's being done to his/her body.  And, that teen should have full access to all info available to at least get an idea of what's going on with the issue


Would you feel the same way if your 14 year old decided that he/she wanted all vaxes including Gardasil?
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMoulton View Post


Would you feel the same way if your 14 year old decided that he/she wanted all vaxes including Gardasil?

if my teen wanted to vax themselves, i would encourage and supply information for them to read before they went ahead with it.   But i don't have to worry about an 'if' that won't happen. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Vaccinations
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Baby Health › Vaccinations › Questions re: my unvax'd kids