Doctor said this was the most important one other than dtap.
Related Forum Threads
- Stress reaction may help vaccines work better Last post on 5/20/13 at 12:56pm in Mindful Vaccination
- URGENT- Oregon bill to end religious exemption--- X-posted Last post on 5/22/13 at 5:23pm in Mindful Vaccination
- chicken pox and the littlest ones Last post on 4/24/13 at 3:15pm in Mindful Vaccination
- Six reasons not to be scared of vaccines Last post on 5/19/13 at 9:54pm in Mindful Vaccination
- MMR and Measles in South Wales Last post on 4/19/13 at 9:12am in Mindful Vaccination
Vaccinations: Why All the Fuss?
Edited on 2/24/13
- Frontline's War on Selectively Vaccinating ParentsEdited on 3/14/13
- Of Mainstream Media, Hate Mail, and VaccinesEdited on 3/14/13
- Vaccination BooklistEdited on 6/27/11
- Selectively Vaccinating For International TravelEdited on 6/27/11
Toughts on prevenar vaccine?post #1 of 161/23/13 at 6:03pmThread Starterpost #2 of 161/24/13 at 6:59ampost #3 of 161/24/13 at 9:48ampost #4 of 161/24/13 at 1:02pmThread Starterpost #5 of 161/24/13 at 1:26pmpost #6 of 161/24/13 at 1:28pmpost #7 of 161/24/13 at 3:02pmpost #8 of 161/24/13 at 7:29pmThread Starterpost #9 of 161/26/13 at 8:43amI try to make my decisions on evidence and not anecdotes. This applies to anecdotes about vaccine reactions and vaccine-avoidable diseases. Doctors who tell me scary stories or here's-what-I've-seen anecdotes are less likely to sway me.
That said, I opted against Prevnar but will probably consider it if I have to go back to work and send DD to daycare.
Read the Prevnar chapter in The Vaccine Book and go from there.post #10 of 161/26/13 at 2:34pm
I have good info on that in German, too. While for some of the other vaccines (Tetanus, Polio) it was tough at the beginning to find a position for myself, pneumococcal was a no-go from the very start.
post #11 of 161/27/13 at 1:37pmpost #12 of 161/27/13 at 1:39pm
Our ND advised us if we were going to selectively vaccinate, this was the most important after Dtap. She said it's relatively common, and has a rare but possible potential to cause meningitis which can cause brain damage. I am a SAHM but I have a toddler who goes on playdates and a once weekly co op preschool program, and I wasn't willing to take the chance with our younger son (5 mo now). We chose to do Dtap, Prevnar and HIB.post #13 of 161/28/13 at 1:45pmpost #14 of 161/28/13 at 2:04pm
If the other link still not works try this one. Serotype replacement due to vaccines can lead to even severer and unforeseen illnesses.
Sorry I don't have a link in English but on a German site from 'doctors for individual vaccine decision' it is stated that children who have not been breastfed, are exposed to second hand smoke and/or are placed in day care at an early age as well as the use of antipyretics makes them more susceptible to aquire pneumonia, meningitis or otitis.post #15 of 161/28/13 at 2:32pmQuote:Originally Posted by Minerva23
works fine for me. Here we go again.
That article from April 2008 - is it still relevent?
OP - did you mean to post in Mindful Vaccination and if so what kind of thoughts are you looking for. You're mostly getting reasons against vaccination here it seems.post #16 of 161/29/13 at 4:49amI was thinking about this last night. If it is true (which hasn't been shown conclusively, but it seems plausible) I think vaccinating my child is still the right thing to do. This is a concern that needs to be addressed by policy. Not vaccinating my child won't make them LESS susceptible to strains the vaccine DOESN'T cover, it will only deny them the protection I CAN give them to the strains it does.
Either way, this vaccine was an import one for me (and hib) and I can certainly see why the doctor would say that.
- Toughts on prevenar vaccine?
- Frontline's War on Selectively Vaccinating Parents
- › IVF Graduates thread!! 9 seconds ago
- › Taking The Scenic Route to a BFP - Winter/Spring 2013 Edition 20 seconds ago
- › What is your favorite go-to meal? Healthy and easy? 4 minutes ago
- › The loss of affection 4 minutes ago
- › Spring/Summer 2013 Pregnant Bajingos - Having #1 in our 30s 7 minutes ago
- › ~Weekly Chat Thread for May 24th-May 31st~ 8 minutes ago
- › Has anybody else experienced this? 10 minutes ago
- › Queer, Pregnant, & Parenting - April & May 2013! 12 minutes ago
- › my a-ha parenting moment 15 minutes ago
- › I'm out :( 19 minutes ago
- › Medela Pump in Style Advanced Breast Pump with Shoulder Bag by matope
- › Philips AVENT ISIS Manual Breast Pump, White by matope
- › Bebe Au Lait Nursing Cover by matope
- › Lansinoh Lanolin for Breastfeeding Mothers 2 oz (56 g) by matope
- › Philips AVENT Washable Nursing Pads, 6 Count by matope
- › NUK Ultra Thin Nursing Pads, 60 Pack by matope
- › TRADITIONAL MEDICINALS TEAS Mother's Milk Tea 16 bags by matope
- › Leachco Snoogle Total Body Pillow by matope
- › Boppy Nursing Pillow with Slipcover by matope
- › Glamourmom Nursing Bra Tank by matope
- › Pause for Presence: A Personal Reflection by Marcy Axness
- › Ina May Gaskin Reviews Groundbreaking Book,... by Melanie Mayo
- › Why We Homeschool by Melanie Mayo
- › A Mama's Peace by AmandaK
- › 7 Simple Recipes to Bless a New Mom by Melanie Mayo
- › Closing Up Shop: Life After Vasectomy by Melanie Mayo
- › My Heart Growing Fonder by Melanie Mayo
- › Happy Simple Baby Love by Melanie Mayo
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo