Doctor said this was the most important one other than dtap.
- topicSelective Vaccinationtagged by Sol_y_Paz, 1/23/13
Related Forum Threads
- TDap/DTaP in 3rd trimester? Last post on Yesterday at 5:50 am in Selective & Delayed Vaccination
- Selective and Delyaed Vaccination Friendly Peditricians in the Sylvania OH area? Last post on 4/22/14 at 11:20am in Selective & Delayed Vaccination
- Working With Doctors Last post on 4/18/14 at 10:13pm in Selective & Delayed Vaccination
- Just starting vaccines Last post on 4/13/14 at 3:14pm in Selective & Delayed Vaccination
- Vaccinating foster children. Last post on 4/14/14 at 5:39pm in Selective & Delayed Vaccination
My Vaccine Info
Last edited: 3/4/13
- Vaccinations: Why All the Fuss?Last edited: 12/26/13
- Pregnancy and the Flu ShotLast edited: 1/17/13
- Frontline's War on Selectively Vaccinating ParentsLast edited: 3/14/13
- Of Mainstream Media, Hate Mail, and VaccinesLast edited: 3/14/13
Toughts on prevenar vaccine?post #1 of 161/23/13 at 6:03pmThread Starterpost #2 of 161/24/13 at 6:59ampost #3 of 161/24/13 at 9:48ampost #4 of 161/24/13 at 1:02pmThread Starterpost #5 of 161/24/13 at 1:26pmpost #6 of 161/24/13 at 1:28pmpost #7 of 161/24/13 at 3:02pmpost #8 of 161/24/13 at 7:29pmThread Starterpost #9 of 161/26/13 at 8:43amI try to make my decisions on evidence and not anecdotes. This applies to anecdotes about vaccine reactions and vaccine-avoidable diseases. Doctors who tell me scary stories or here's-what-I've-seen anecdotes are less likely to sway me.
That said, I opted against Prevnar but will probably consider it if I have to go back to work and send DD to daycare.
Read the Prevnar chapter in The Vaccine Book and go from there.post #10 of 161/26/13 at 2:34pm
I have good info on that in German, too. While for some of the other vaccines (Tetanus, Polio) it was tough at the beginning to find a position for myself, pneumococcal was a no-go from the very start.
post #11 of 161/27/13 at 1:37pmpost #12 of 161/27/13 at 1:39pm
Our ND advised us if we were going to selectively vaccinate, this was the most important after Dtap. She said it's relatively common, and has a rare but possible potential to cause meningitis which can cause brain damage. I am a SAHM but I have a toddler who goes on playdates and a once weekly co op preschool program, and I wasn't willing to take the chance with our younger son (5 mo now). We chose to do Dtap, Prevnar and HIB.post #13 of 161/28/13 at 1:45pmpost #14 of 161/28/13 at 2:04pm
If the other link still not works try this one. Serotype replacement due to vaccines can lead to even severer and unforeseen illnesses.
Sorry I don't have a link in English but on a German site from 'doctors for individual vaccine decision' it is stated that children who have not been breastfed, are exposed to second hand smoke and/or are placed in day care at an early age as well as the use of antipyretics makes them more susceptible to aquire pneumonia, meningitis or otitis.post #15 of 161/28/13 at 2:32pmQuote:Originally Posted by Minerva23
works fine for me. Here we go again.
That article from April 2008 - is it still relevent?
OP - did you mean to post in Mindful Vaccination and if so what kind of thoughts are you looking for. You're mostly getting reasons against vaccination here it seems.post #16 of 161/29/13 at 4:49amI was thinking about this last night. If it is true (which hasn't been shown conclusively, but it seems plausible) I think vaccinating my child is still the right thing to do. This is a concern that needs to be addressed by policy. Not vaccinating my child won't make them LESS susceptible to strains the vaccine DOESN'T cover, it will only deny them the protection I CAN give them to the strains it does.
Either way, this vaccine was an import one for me (and hib) and I can certainly see why the doctor would say that.
- Vaccinations: Why All the Fuss?
- › hiii everyone 36 seconds ago
- › Copper IUD and Side effects 1 minute ago
- › What hurt more than labor for you? 5 minutes ago
- › Interested in trying out a new probiotic just for kids? This... 6 minutes ago
- › May be going to court in lieu of making a joint decision 13 minutes ago
- › Surprise? 21 minutes ago
- › The person below me..... 22 minutes ago
- › HELP ME! Pregnant and suffering.... 23 minutes ago
- › Show off your bump here! 34 minutes ago
- › When is it okay to leave kids alone in a public location? 37 minutes ago
- › Epibi Nursing Pads by SparkleMaman
- › By Marie Winn - The Plug-In Drug: Television, Computers, and Family... by Catholic Mama
- › Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver by ss834
- › Pyur Diaper Balm by MimiPilla
- › Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, Fragrance Free, by KatelynRose
- › Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Video Monitor with 2.5"... by thebessmartinfo
- › Happy Heiny's One Size Cloth Diapers by SquirmyWorm
- › Homesteader's Kitchen, The: Recipes from Farm to Table by Monica S
- › Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin, 90 Tablets by glwilson22
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › When Mothering Means Chaos by AmandaK
- › Calming Yourself During Colic: Expert tips... by KidsInTheHouse
- › 3 Simple Ways to Nurture Yourself by Marcy Axness
- › The Birth of River by Kristen Tea
- › The Never Agains by BrainChild
- › Day in the Life: A Graphical Representation by OliviaHinebaugh
- › Operation Meditation by Brian Leaf
- › Turning Five by Sheryl Paul
- › WellFuture WellBelly April 2014 Giveaway by JenniO11
- › 30 Hilarious and Inspiring Parenting Quotes... by Melanie Mayo