or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Baby Health › Vaccinations › Vaccinations Debate › Piers Morgan falls ill days after a public flu shot with Dr Oz
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Piers Morgan falls ill days after a public flu shot with Dr Oz - Page 4

post #61 of 136
Thread Starter 

The thing is this is a PR problem for the flu shot pushers. Here we have a high profile figure on national television claiming that his very public flu shot didn't work, coz now he's sick. Doesn't really matter if he has flu or some other virus, Many of those watching his show get the take home message that Piers Morgan got the flu shot and still got flu.

 

#FluShotDoesn'tWork

post #62 of 136

It's really not a PR problem.  I promise.  Outside of this forum and anti vaccination sites no one cares.  Honest.

post #63 of 136

Re the severity of the flu season:

 

http://thedianerehmshow.org/shows/2013-01-10/battle-against-flu/transcript

 

 

quoting Michael Osterholm from Cidrap

 

Quote:

OSTERHOLM

10:15:57
 
When we're talking about really severe flu, we're talking about hundreds and hundreds of hospitalizations and hundreds and hundreds of deaths, even thousands. And so I think that this year we have flu going on, which is bad. We've had people die from it, unfortunately. But we also have a norovirus going on, a virus that causes vomiting and diarrheal illness.
And we're also seeing, in some communities, another illness in young kids called RSV, respiratory syncytial virus, which is causing a number of hospitalizations. So I think that flu is obviously a very critical issue. I think this year we do have some real problems. But I don't think it's nearly as bad as what has been portrayed in the media. And most notably, if you look at our -- what we call pneumonia and influenza deaths in this country, we are not seeing it this time, a severe flu season.

 

 

 

 

Quote:
Yes. Thank you. First of all, let me just come back and re-emphasize the point I made earlier that, yes, this is a flu season and, yes, people are getting sick and many people are getting sick and people are dying. But this is not a severe flu season. Severe flu seasons would be many thousands of people dying. And so we just have to help put that in context because that's why we worry about flu because as bad as this is and as much as it's stressing the health care system, it could be a lot worse.
post #64 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post


 

 

 

and I (among others) am stating that there is no possible argument about whether the shot caused the flu, because flu shots cannot cause flu.

What's your point?  He's sick, but it's unclear whether it's flu or not.  If it's flu, then your argument is fine and dandy, but it's also possible that his symptoms are a reaction to his flu shot. 

post #65 of 136

OR he just has a sore throat!  It's equally possible it has nothing to do with the flu OR the flu shot!

post #66 of 136
IMO it's irrelevant whether he has flu or just flu sx. If the shot, which you get in order to avoid a slight chance you'll get sick, makes you sick- you just got duped.
post #67 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

OR he just has a sore throat!  It's equally possible it has nothing to do with the flu OR the flu shot!

I guess we won't know anything until and if he's tested.

post #68 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennyanydots View Post

IMO it's irrelevant whether he has flu or just flu sx. If the shot, which you get in order to avoid a slight chance you'll get sick, makes you sick- you just got duped.

 

except WE DON'T KNOW THE SHOT MADE HIM SICK.

 

Considering he got sick TEN DAYS after the shot I seriously doubt it was the shot, but that's just me.

post #69 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

Re the severity of the flu season:

 

http://thedianerehmshow.org/shows/2013-01-10/battle-against-flu/transcript

 

 

quoting Michael Osterholm from Cidrap

 

 

 

 

 

This information is all fine and good, but the media storm surrounding the what-ifs and could-bes of this flu season, which is this is going to be the worst flu season since 2009 or ever, is all over mainstream news. Most people take that as the gospel and make decisions on speculation. The predictions of the flu season are just that, speculation. No one will know for sure how bad it is until it's over. However, the speculation has been everywhere and that speculation is that it is, will be, was a severe flu season. There is another thread on here somewhere about how everyone is sick of hearing about this flu season and how awful it is.

post #70 of 136

You mean in AMERICA the media overhypes something?  Not possible.

post #71 of 136

How about this... no one on here knows anything for sure. Here's what we do know... Piers Morgan got a flu shot on live tv. A few days later he was sick. That's it. As far as I know, he hasn't been tested for the flu, so no one knows if he has the flu. No one knows if it was the shot that got him sick. So, that's it. I haven't said he was sick from the shot at all in this thread. I initially agreed with Pek64 that a test will tell the story of whether or not he has the flu. That is true. As far as what made him sick... who knows??? Was it the shot? Was it because he got germs from shaking hands with someone? Did someone sneeze on him? No one knows. I feel that anyone who presents with flu-like symptoms should be tested for the flu because doctors are assuming without testing and are reporting these results. These results are flawed. They are incomplete. These numbers are being used in the media and are contributing to a "scare" so more people will get the flu shot. All I'm saying is that the numbers need to be real so the public will be better informed so they can be better prepared to make decisions on whether or not they should get the shot. As far as I'm concerned, it's all propaganda, and nothing should be taken for face value.

post #72 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

You mean in AMERICA the media overhypes something?  Not possible.

Yeah, exactly, and unfortunately most people use this flawed information to make decisions without doing more research.

 

Well, if CNN tells me to get the shot, then I should, since this is the worst flu season since 2009. eyesroll.gif Because CNN said so.banghead.gif

 

Oh, look, Piers Morgan got the flu shot. I should too since he is the authority on it... because he's on tv. Oh, and look, Dr Oz gave him the shot... even more credible. banghead.gif

post #73 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post


You should look into how data on flu is gathered. Specifically the distinction made between flu and flu like illness. It's not necessary to test every single person who presents with flu like illness to get good data on true flu prevalence.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/pdf/overview.pdf
http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/

 

We will never know truly how many people have the flu vs how many people really have Flu like illness. The tracking of the flu really tells more about where the viruses are circulating and if flu activity is increasing or decreasing. But It really can't give accurate numbers to how many people in any given flu season have the flu since testing is voluntary. Testing every single person who presents with symptoms for the flu would never happen anyway. Far to $$$ and time consuming for the system. 

post #74 of 136

Flumaggedon?

post #75 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by pek64 View Post

So test him and set the record straight. Why is it tests are rarely done on those who receive the vaccine and get symptoms?

According to another thread in this forum one member here knew quite a few people who got the flu shot and when they fell ill they immediately went to the er and were in fact tested for the flu. Another member even confirmed the same thing. Can't be that rare if two members here know multiple people who were reportedly tested post flu shot.
post #76 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

Pek, again, idk what you're reading or hearing, but it's not. This is objectively true. Maybe your area is having a pocket of severe flu, but nationwide it is not a severe flu season.

In a severe flu season hundreds if not thousands of people DIE. That is just not the case this year. It might be a "bad flu" in that it makes you feel extra awful, but that is very different than being a severe flu SEASON.

Media reports, especially radio, are saying severe, bad, nasty, etc. If the announcers are being inaccurate, that's out of my control. I'm just telling you what's beinf broadcast.
post #77 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

 

except WE DON'T KNOW THE SHOT MADE HIM SICK.

 

Considering he got sick TEN DAYS after the shot I seriously doubt it was the shot, but that's just me.

I don't think it was the shot. I think the shot weakened his immune system and made him more vulnerable to picking up some other crappy flu like virus. But thats just me

post #78 of 136

Marnica, you're right.  Since most people who get the flu don't even get medical treatment it's hard to know.  We do know that of people who are tested only about 30% actually have the flu.

post #79 of 136

It is a worse than average flu season on top of an exceptionally mild flu season last year.  It's also a very early flu season and I guess there's not much else to talk about!

post #80 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

It's really not a PR problem.  I promise.  Outside of this forum and anti vaccination sites no one cares.  Honest.

How do you know what thousands of people are thinking and feeling?!?

Your promise is meaningless! It lacks foundation! You have no basis for presuming to speak on behalf of others, including me!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Vaccinations Debate
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Baby Health › Vaccinations › Vaccinations Debate › Piers Morgan falls ill days after a public flu shot with Dr Oz