or Connect
Mothering › Groups › July 2013 Due Date Club › Discussions › Baby Names

Baby Names

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 

Hello smile.gif

 

Yesterday I found out (I'm 13 weeks now) that there's a very active little girl inside me. So since then I couldn't stop thinking baby names. It's more difficult for me because I'm Eastern European (so not a lot of beautiful names match my surname) but I'm looking for an easy to pronounce, international first name since I chose the same for my first daughter (her name is Alise).

 

I don't really want to choose a purely Romanian baby name, even if they are beautiful because they're more difficult to spell and pronounce in English, German, other languages and we plan to move to some other European country in the next years. 

 

Have you already thought baby names? What do you have in mind? 

 

Also, I have a small list here of names that sound good to me and aren't difficult to pronounce in Romanian either so please let me know which ones do you think are nicest. Any suggestions that you might have are welcome!

 

 

Mayra

Jasmine

Maxine  

Doris

Emily

Alexis

 

Thank you!

post #2 of 25
Congratulations on growing a healthy baby girl! I really like the names you've listed, I think they are all beautiful. I can completely understand the international name situation. I live in Canada but I'm Hungarian so i feel we should choose names that work in English as well as my mother tongue. My 21 month old is Kassandra and this baby is a surprise so we have to find good boy names and girl names too. For a girl I like names that end in "a" - just something from my childhood I guess. We are considering Lydia and Hannah for a girl although I also love Maya. Miranda is a name I LOVE but can't use since in Hungarian it sounds like the word "ugly" or "hideous" is part of it. For a boy we are toying with Thomas and Matthias but still have a long way to go. Good luck! We are going to pick two names for each gender, meet baby and go with the name that fits the little person better.
post #3 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycheattraffic View Post

Congratulations on growing a healthy baby girl! I really like the names you've listed, I think they are all beautiful. I can completely understand the international name situation. I live in Canada but I'm Hungarian so i feel we should choose names that work in English as well as my mother tongue. My 21 month old is Kassandra and this baby is a surprise so we have to find good boy names and girl names too. For a girl I like names that end in "a" - just something from my childhood I guess. We are considering Lydia and Hannah for a girl although I also love Maya. Miranda is a name I LOVE but can't use since in Hungarian it sounds like the word "ugly" or "hideous" is part of it. For a boy we are toying with Thomas and Matthias but still have a long way to go. Good luck! We are going to pick two names for each gender, meet baby and go with the name that fits the little person better.

 

 

Seems we have similar taste in baby names :) For boys I was also considering Thomas, Matthias and also Lukas, Markus, Louis, Tobias :) (apparently I love the "s" in a name :D)

 

Both Lydia and Hannah are very nice, Hannah sounds more like a German name and I like a few German names and also Hebrew ones. Maya is beautiful, I have a friend who named her daughter like this. I find also Katarina to be nice. 

 

Wow, I always wondered how some couples can keep the baby sex a surprise....I think it's very nice but very hard to "hold" for what seems to be an eternity :)  and I also buy everything the baby needs in advance so it's good to know whether a little dress is appropriate or not hehe

 

When is your due date? Mine is July, 27 and I really hope this girl is not coming later than 40 weeks like Alise chose to.

post #4 of 25
I'm due the 26th smile.gif. Kassie came at 41w 1d (with gel induction) and I hope this little person comes on time. As for the gender, everything baby needs in the first few weeks Is gender neutral: carseat (already have it), diapers (already got them) and a few clothing items (already have gender neutral newborn clothes from DD). My take on not finding out the gender is that a) if I'm going to labour for hours on end and go through a bunch of pain, I want a surprise to look forward to and b) baby doesn't know much about DH and I so I think it's only fair to keep the mystery wink1.gif. It works for us and honestly I'd be very angry if someone slipped up and gave away the gender, say at an US appointment. I'd feel robbed of a very special moment. I understand why people find out but for us it's simply not necessary and I was so happy when DD was born and she turned out to be a girl. I didn't have a gender preference really but was expecting a boy based on how much she acted like a prizefighter lol. I was totally floored and absolutely elated to learn that the intense, active, punchy little person has been a girl all along smile.gif
post #5 of 25

I love the names!

 

I don't know if our baby is a girl/boy yet (we hope to find out in a month or so) but here are some girl names on our list (feel free to steal any!)

 

Caroline

Frances

Margaret

Rosalind

Victoria

Heidi

Maureen

Beverly

Melody

Mavis

Gloria

Maria

Lauren

Miranda

 

Here are boy names on our list right now

Augustus

Calvin

Anderson

Benjamin

Leonardo

Ivan

Frederick

Henry

Thomas

post #6 of 25

I just want to add that I met a beautiful Romanian friend in college who's name is Felicia and I always loved her name.  Enjoy finding a name that fits your preferences!

post #7 of 25

We're not going to find out the gender either (for similar reasons to skycheattraffic's!) but I'm having a much harder time thinking of boys' names than girls' names. There are so many wonderful names for girls, but I feel like boys' names are just a snoozefest. My husband is pretty adamant that he doesn't want to choose a name that is "pretentious" (quoting him). So I think I'll let him choose the boy's name and it may end up being something quite common from the Bible, but we'll go with a highly unusual southern U.S. middle name that is a family name.

 

For girls, of the names mentioned above, I love Heidi (due to the children's book), Maya (in part because it's so international), Katarina (because "Kat" is such a cute nickname that can work well for an adult professional woman too), and Ana. And a shout-out to Anca -- I love your name! Is it common in Romania and do people ever mispronounce it?

post #8 of 25

So far all the names I like, Hubs has vetoed, so we are making a list of names and seeing what names are common to both! I think we are going to find out, as my sister did not, and even though I thought I got gender neutral things, people still thought my niece was a boy. My thought is that no matter when you find out, it's still a surprise. 

post #9 of 25

Rainbownurse, my husband is doing the same thing -- disagreeing with every name I like! It will be exciting when we find something we BOTH like! 

post #10 of 25
my Husband and I are set on catherine for a girl. We just can't decide if we want to go with the english version, or the german version (katerina). my husband and his american family like the german version, and I and my german family like the english version.

We haven't picked a boys name, but everyone seems pretty certain this is a girl, and we will find out in march so we will know for sure.
post #11 of 25

Anca:

I like girl names that end is a as well. I think some of the Romania names would work well in other countries. I actually purposely picked a Romanian name for my girl. The boys names are Irish and Hebrew. Random choices that I liked and I don't like a lot of Romanian boy names anyway. Too different. 

 

I will give you some names that I think work anywhere. Catalina, Alina, Rebeca, Adelina, Elena, Diana, Roxana, Veronica, Nicoleta, Evelina, Karina, Alissa, Cristina, Lidia, Claudia. I don't know if those are all Romanian at the root. They came from friends of my Romanian sister in law on facebook. LOL But, I could see those all being easy to say in English or Romanian. Some are more neutral than others, but I think they are all nice. :) If you don't like them, maybe someone else here will. 

 

I like your names you have picked out too. 

post #12 of 25

we are another that is bilingual--name needs to work in both french and english. and i like to have a name that is pronounced very similarly in french and english if possible. i have such a unique boy name---that i absolutely love--that i think, how can we come up with another name we like just as much for this babe?! :) we are also another that won't know the sex until the arrival so we'd hopefully have an agreed upon girl and boy name...but the fact is last time, we only ever agreed on a boy name--i think because it was our boy who arrived. :) i also love names that have a story--that mean something. 

 

anca--i like your names alexis and jasmine-- jasmine is just beautiful...maybe because i love the smell of jasmine, the taste of jasmine green tea. :) anyways, you've got a great starter...i like the process of seeing what fits more and more as you go along in pregnancy and closer to birth. 

 

i also absolutely love the name maya--unfortunately there's a cartoon in france about a bee named maya so my husband has vetoed that. :( but so many beautiful names. 

post #13 of 25

I just thought of another one you probably already thought of, Alexa since I saw you had Alexis on there. I think that would be easier to say in Romanian and all English speaking countries can handle it. :)

post #14 of 25
OMG Ashleybrook!! I remember that cartoon - a girl bee named Maya! It was dubbed or subtitled but I SO remember that from my childhood. It's actually how I thought of it. It's so funny that with you guys it caused a veto.
post #15 of 25

I also remember the cartoon! We watched it in Germany all the time "Unsere kleine Biene Mayaaaaaaaaaa" ROTFLMAO.gif I didn't even think of that until you said it! 

post #16 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by coalifetime View Post

I love the names!

 

I don't know if our baby is a girl/boy yet (we hope to find out in a month or so) but here are some girl names on our list (feel free to steal any!)

 

Caroline

Frances

Margaret

Rosalind

Victoria

Heidi

Maureen

Beverly

Melody

Mavis

Gloria

Maria

Lauren

Miranda

 

Here are boy names on our list right now

Augustus

Calvin

Anderson

Benjamin

Leonardo

Ivan

Frederick

Henry

Thomas

 

 

I love most of the names you mentioned but one of them really got in my heart and I have totally forgotten about it .... Heidi, that was one of my favorite stories when I was in school and I think I might steal this one! Thank you

post #17 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eilis View Post

We're not going to find out the gender either (for similar reasons to skycheattraffic's!) but I'm having a much harder time thinking of boys' names than girls' names. There are so many wonderful names for girls, but I feel like boys' names are just a snoozefest. My husband is pretty adamant that he doesn't want to choose a name that is "pretentious" (quoting him). So I think I'll let him choose the boy's name and it may end up being something quite common from the Bible, but we'll go with a highly unusual southern U.S. middle name that is a family name.

 

For girls, of the names mentioned above, I love Heidi (due to the children's book), Maya (in part because it's so international), Katarina (because "Kat" is such a cute nickname that can work well for an adult professional woman too), and Ana. And a shout-out to Anca -- I love your name! Is it common in Romania and do people ever mispronounce it?

 

 

Make sure you too like the boy's name he's choosing, I know a mother who ended up calling her son by a totally different name because she didn't like the name the husband chose :D

 

I'm pretty fixed on Heidi at the moment, will see what other names come in our way until she's born. Maya sounds nice but I know someone not so nice and I can't choose a name if I know a person I don't like with that name, lol. 

 

My name has never been mispronounced actually but I never thought it to be pretty, it is a genuine Romanian name, common but not too common, can't say I'm unhappy with it :)  The most common Romanian girl names are Alina, Elena (Helen), Maria, Ioana (Joanna), Andreea, Alexandra, Ana, Antonia, Daria, Gabriela, Mihaela

post #18 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbownurse View Post

So far all the names I like, Hubs has vetoed, so we are making a list of names and seeing what names are common to both! I think we are going to find out, as my sister did not, and even though I thought I got gender neutral things, people still thought my niece was a boy. My thought is that no matter when you find out, it's still a surprise. 

 

Then let us know when you find out :) Do you have any preference?

post #19 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayiscoming2006 View Post

Anca:

I like girl names that end is a as well. I think some of the Romania names would work well in other countries. I actually purposely picked a Romanian name for my girl. The boys names are Irish and Hebrew. Random choices that I liked and I don't like a lot of Romanian boy names anyway. Too different. 

 

I will give you some names that I think work anywhere. Catalina, Alina, Rebeca, Adelina, Elena, Diana, Roxana, Veronica, Nicoleta, Evelina, Karina, Alissa, Cristina, Lidia, Claudia. I don't know if those are all Romanian at the root. They came from friends of my Romanian sister in law on facebook. LOL But, I could see those all being easy to say in English or Romanian. Some are more neutral than others, but I think they are all nice. :) If you don't like them, maybe someone else here will. 

 

I like your names you have picked out too. 

 

 

Thanks for the suggestions. Well, I admit I'm picky about names and I can give you reasons for each of them, as to why I wouldn't choose them lol

Catalina -too long (we have two surnames, mine and Dh's and we want to keep the first names short), plus, it's spelled with specific Romanian "Cătălina" so people wouldn't know how to read it

Alina -too common

Adelina, Elena, Diana, Roxana, Veronica, Nicoleta, Evelina -I just don't like them. I prefer a two syllables name and not too common.

etc :)

post #20 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleybrook View Post

we are another that is bilingual--name needs to work in both french and english. and i like to have a name that is pronounced very similarly in french and english if possible. i have such a unique boy name---that i absolutely love--that i think, how can we come up with another name we like just as much for this babe?! :) we are also another that won't know the sex until the arrival so we'd hopefully have an agreed upon girl and boy name...but the fact is last time, we only ever agreed on a boy name--i think because it was our boy who arrived. :) i also love names that have a story--that mean something. 

 

anca--i like your names alexis and jasmine-- jasmine is just beautiful...maybe because i love the smell of jasmine, the taste of jasmine green tea. :) anyways, you've got a great starter...i like the process of seeing what fits more and more as you go along in pregnancy and closer to birth. 

 

i also absolutely love the name maya--unfortunately there's a cartoon in france about a bee named maya so my husband has vetoed that. :( but so many beautiful names. 

 

I think it's even harder to have two names ready but of course, it's your choice and I hope you find a second unique and lovely name for your second baby. 

 

I like Jasmine too but now I prefer Heidi better, maybe Jasmine is not so appropriate to use with our surname, well I keep thinking about it :)

Mothering › Groups › July 2013 Due Date Club › Discussions › Baby Names