Delayed/select vaxers: Did you do the polio vax? I am on the fence. On the one hand, it is incredibly rare to nonexistent in this country, but I live in an area with a lot of international transplants and travelers (Seattle) so it could only be a plane ride away. On the other hand, the ingredients of the vaccine give me serious pause. My son is 5 months old on Wed and so far has had 2 doses of Dtap and HIB and Prevnar 13. We do one vax at a time, 2-4 weeks apart.
Related Forum Threads
- Stress reaction may help vaccines work better Last post on 5/20/13 at 12:56pm in Mindful Vaccination
- URGENT- Oregon bill to end religious exemption--- X-posted Last post on Yesterday at 5:23 pm in Mindful Vaccination
- Six reasons not to be scared of vaccines Last post on 5/19/13 at 9:54pm in Mindful Vaccination
- MMR and Measles in South Wales Last post on 4/19/13 at 9:12am in Mindful Vaccination
- MMR experiences or measles only Last post on 4/7/13 at 11:36am in Mindful Vaccination
Vaccinations: Why All the Fuss?
Edited on 2/24/13
- Vaccination BooklistEdited on 6/27/11
- Selectively Vaccinating For International TravelEdited on 6/27/11
- Vaccine Exemption Information for All 50 States In The USEdited on 1/18/13
- Frontline's War on Selectively Vaccinating ParentsEdited on 3/14/13
On fence about Polio vax...thoughts?post #2 of 31/27/13 at 2:18pm
Each of my kids has had 3/4 polio shots. They will not be getting any more. They are 5 and 2.5. I don't see the need. Have no plans of traveling abroad... ever. If they do, they can deal with it when the time comes... getting their shots, etc... assuming they will be adults at that time.post #3 of 31/28/13 at 1:29am
Polio is almost eradicated world wide. A great triumph for vaccination programs.
So it's probably the least important vaccine to get in terms of risk of getting this disease.
However the vaccination is also very safe. Both my kids got it.
I think it would be a massive pity if people "jump the gun" - by which I mean, mass refusal to vaccinate against polio leading to a resurgence of polio in the west. I have no idea how likely that is, but since people are extremely mobile internationally I can understand the physical mechanism by which it would happen.
I would think from the US point of view, that it's endemic in Afghanistan would be a concern - given the military presence in that country.
From the Polio eradication website:Quote:Polio remains endemic in three countries – Afghanistan, Nigeria and Pakistan – and has re-established transmission in three countries which were previously polio-free (Angola, Chad and Democratic Republic of the Congo). Several more countries had ongoing outbreaks in 2011 due to importations of poliovirus.
The list of "importation countries":
- On fence about Polio vax...thoughts?
- Vaccination Booklist
- › So depressed, hormonal, emotional 6 seconds ago
- › Research Study Opportunity 17 seconds ago
- › My 3 year old is freaking me out 42 seconds ago
- › Single and homeschooling? 1 minute ago
- › FTM with labor stall? TMI big time. 1 minute ago
- › What are you craving? 2 minutes ago
- › May 2013 Chit Chat 2 minutes ago
- › weekly thread May 20-26 3 minutes ago
- › The loss of affection 3 minutes ago
- › Anyone nesting yet? 4 minutes ago
- › Bravado Designs Bodysilk Seamless Nursing Bra by casaDES
- › Lansinoh 20265 Disposable Nursing Pads, 60-pack by KaliShanti
- › Boppy Nursing Pillow with Slipcover by earobb
- › Medela Nightime Nursing Sleep Bra by earobb
- › Motherhood Wireless Full Coverage Nursing Bra by earobb
- › NUK Ultra Thin Nursing Pads, 60 Pack by earobb
- › The First Years Breastflow BPA Free Bottle, 5 Ounce by KaliShanti
- › Simple Wishes Hands-Free Breastpump Bra, XS/S/M by KaliShanti
- › Seal N Go Breast Milk Freezer Disposable Liners - 25 / Pack by KaliShanti
- › Medela Quick Clean Micro-Steam Bags by KaliShanti
- › A Mama's Peace by AmandaK
- › 7 Simple Recipes to Bless a New Mom by Melanie Mayo
- › Closing Up Shop: Life After Vasectomy by Melanie Mayo
- › My Heart Growing Fonder by Melanie Mayo
- › Happy Simple Baby Love by Melanie Mayo
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer... by Amy Lansky
- › Relax. Parenting Is Supposed to Be Messy,... by Brian Leaf
- › Managing Mom Stress: Sharing Tips and Trying... by Melanie Mayo