Delayed/select vaxers: Did you do the polio vax? I am on the fence. On the one hand, it is incredibly rare to nonexistent in this country, but I live in an area with a lot of international transplants and travelers (Seattle) so it could only be a plane ride away. On the other hand, the ingredients of the vaccine give me serious pause. My son is 5 months old on Wed and so far has had 2 doses of Dtap and HIB and Prevnar 13. We do one vax at a time, 2-4 weeks apart.
Related Forum Threads
- Anyone do Hib vaccine but NOT Prevnar? Last post on Today at 11:33 am in Selective & Delayed Vaccination
- If you are Selectivly chosing NOT to vaccinate for Chicken Pox...There is a National FB group... Last post on Today at 9:56 am in Selective & Delayed Vaccination
- DTaP Scheduled: Nervous Last post on 11/30/13 at 2:09pm in Selective & Delayed Vaccination
- non/selective vax friendly doctor Last post on 11/30/13 at 4:23am in Selective & Delayed Vaccination
- Routine Hospital Shots for Newborns (VITAMIN K and HEPB)....HELP! Last post on 11/20/13 at 12:46pm in Selective & Delayed Vaccination
My Vaccine Info
Last edited: 3/4/13
- Vaccinations: Why All the Fuss?Last edited: 2/24/13
- Vaccination BooklistLast edited: 6/27/11
- Selectively Vaccinating For International TravelLast edited: 6/27/11
- Vaccine Exemption Information for All 50 States In The USLast edited: 1/18/13
On fence about Polio vax...thoughts?post #1 of 31/27/13 at 1:41pmThread Starterpost #2 of 31/27/13 at 2:18pm
Each of my kids has had 3/4 polio shots. They will not be getting any more. They are 5 and 2.5. I don't see the need. Have no plans of traveling abroad... ever. If they do, they can deal with it when the time comes... getting their shots, etc... assuming they will be adults at that time.post #3 of 31/28/13 at 1:29am
Polio is almost eradicated world wide. A great triumph for vaccination programs.
So it's probably the least important vaccine to get in terms of risk of getting this disease.
However the vaccination is also very safe. Both my kids got it.
I think it would be a massive pity if people "jump the gun" - by which I mean, mass refusal to vaccinate against polio leading to a resurgence of polio in the west. I have no idea how likely that is, but since people are extremely mobile internationally I can understand the physical mechanism by which it would happen.
I would think from the US point of view, that it's endemic in Afghanistan would be a concern - given the military presence in that country.
From the Polio eradication website:Quote:Polio remains endemic in three countries – Afghanistan, Nigeria and Pakistan – and has re-established transmission in three countries which were previously polio-free (Angola, Chad and Democratic Republic of the Congo). Several more countries had ongoing outbreaks in 2011 due to importations of poliovirus.
The list of "importation countries":
- Vaccinations: Why All the Fuss?
- › The Saner TTC and Graduates -- The Beaver Moon 3 minutes ago
- › Spring IVF 2013 6 minutes ago
- › Home Schooling a child with Autism or other special needs? 13 minutes ago
- › 52 Project Challenge, 2013 16 minutes ago
- › What is your word for nursing? 23 minutes ago
- › Is this possibly a triphasic chart? 24 minutes ago
- › Morning Sickness at Work 24 minutes ago
- › Need a little reassurance...and honest thoughts! 26 minutes ago
- › December Chat 28 minutes ago
- › Trying to figure this charting thing out:) 33 minutes ago
- › Diva Cup Diva Cup #2 Post Childbirth, Cup by Taqah
- › GroVia Cloth All In One - Pudge by Taqah
- › North American Bear Company Rosy Cheeks Baby Tan by Taqah
- › Maya Wrap Lightly Padded Baby Sling by Taqah
- › Bamboletta Doll by sleeping mama
- › Melissa & Doug Cutting Food Box by ahilal
- › Prince Lionheart Whirl Balance Scooter, Natural/Pink by Melanie Mayo
- › Elves and Angels Sylvie's Wood Kitchen by Melanie Mayo
- › Natural Earth Paints Face Paint by Melanie Mayo
- › Glob Greeting Card Collage Kit with Seedpaper by Melanie Mayo
- › To Santa or Not To Santa by JillVettel
- › Three Low Cost Holiday Gifts to Make with Kids by Stephafriendly
- › Mothering with Mental Illness: The Natural... by OliviaHinebaugh
- › Vaccinations and George W Bush by Brian Leaf
- › Does Motherhood Matter Anymore? by Melanie Mayo
- › Terms and Conditions: Holiday Cards Giveaway... by Cynthia Mosher
- › Mothering's Natural Toy Guide 2013! by Melanie Mayo
- › Top 20 Toy Picks for 2013 | Mothering Natural... by Melanie Mayo
- › 21 Toys Under $21 | Mothering Natural Toy... by Melanie Mayo
- › Toys to Splurge On | Mothering Natural Toy... by Melanie Mayo