Delayed/select vaxers: Did you do the polio vax? I am on the fence. On the one hand, it is incredibly rare to nonexistent in this country, but I live in an area with a lot of international transplants and travelers (Seattle) so it could only be a plane ride away. On the other hand, the ingredients of the vaccine give me serious pause. My son is 5 months old on Wed and so far has had 2 doses of Dtap and HIB and Prevnar 13. We do one vax at a time, 2-4 weeks apart.
Related Forum Threads
- Hereditary Spherocytosis and Vaccination Last post on 3/7/14 at 3:51pm in Selective & Delayed Vaccination
- Vitamin A & MMR Last post on 3/3/14 at 6:40pm in Selective & Delayed Vaccination
- Kids, 10+, what's important? Also: getting kids informed Last post on Today at 3:10 pm in Selective & Delayed Vaccination
- is there anything i should take to help son with vaccine? Last post on 2/7/14 at 8:22am in Selective & Delayed Vaccination
- Not vaccinating till over 1 year old Last post on 2/3/14 at 7:07am in Selective & Delayed Vaccination
My Vaccine Info
Last edited: 3/4/13
- Vaccinations: Why All the Fuss?Last edited: 12/26/13
- Vaccination BooklistLast edited: 6/27/11
- Selectively Vaccinating For International TravelLast edited: 6/27/11
- Vaccine Exemption Information for All 50 States In The USLast edited: 1/18/13
On fence about Polio vax...thoughts?post #1 of 31/27/13 at 1:41pmThread Starterpost #2 of 31/27/13 at 2:18pm
Each of my kids has had 3/4 polio shots. They will not be getting any more. They are 5 and 2.5. I don't see the need. Have no plans of traveling abroad... ever. If they do, they can deal with it when the time comes... getting their shots, etc... assuming they will be adults at that time.post #3 of 31/28/13 at 1:29am
Polio is almost eradicated world wide. A great triumph for vaccination programs.
So it's probably the least important vaccine to get in terms of risk of getting this disease.
However the vaccination is also very safe. Both my kids got it.
I think it would be a massive pity if people "jump the gun" - by which I mean, mass refusal to vaccinate against polio leading to a resurgence of polio in the west. I have no idea how likely that is, but since people are extremely mobile internationally I can understand the physical mechanism by which it would happen.
I would think from the US point of view, that it's endemic in Afghanistan would be a concern - given the military presence in that country.
From the Polio eradication website:Quote:Polio remains endemic in three countries – Afghanistan, Nigeria and Pakistan – and has re-established transmission in three countries which were previously polio-free (Angola, Chad and Democratic Republic of the Congo). Several more countries had ongoing outbreaks in 2011 due to importations of poliovirus.
The list of "importation countries":
- Vaccinations: Why All the Fuss?
- › Heartbroken & whole other host of emotions 3 minutes ago
- › Hello everyone. Newbie here in need of advice 5 minutes ago
- › Autism Daily Newscast author is clueless about vaccine ingredients 7 minutes ago
- › Colorado Vaccine Exemption Legistlation 11 minutes ago
- › Uh..oh. I though feta cheese was ok :( 20 minutes ago
- › 2014 Low Income Support Thread 22 minutes ago
- › Need Help Teaching Kids About Safety and "Stranger Danger" 25 minutes ago
- › Best place to buy GOOD pork? 26 minutes ago
- › Nursing after C-section - getting off to a good start 28 minutes ago
- › Freebies and Such 32 minutes ago
- › Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver by ss834
- › Pyur Diaper Balm by MimiPilla
- › Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, Fragrance Free, by KatelynRose
- › Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Video Monitor with 2.5"... by thebessmartinfo
- › Happy Heiny's One Size Cloth Diapers by SquirmyWorm
- › Homesteader's Kitchen, The: Recipes from Farm to Table by Monica S
- › Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin, 90 Tablets by glwilson22
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › The Night Before Christmas by rjdoghouse
- › The Polar Express by sassyfirechick
- › Your Two-Year-Old Knows Squatting is Better by Melanie Mayo
- › Okay to Leave Kids in the Car While Popping... by Melanie Mayo
- › Laundry Zen by Laura Grace Weldon
- › High Needs Mother by BrainChild
- › Homebirth Forum Guidelines by Cynthia Mosher
- › Disclaimer by Cynthia Mosher
- › Does Siri Thwart Social Intelligence? by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeschooling with YouTube by SavvyHomeschool
- › Closing the Door On Childbearing by Melanie Mayo
- › A Journey Through Childhood with Seuss by Melanie Mayo