Delayed/select vaxers: Did you do the polio vax? I am on the fence. On the one hand, it is incredibly rare to nonexistent in this country, but I live in an area with a lot of international transplants and travelers (Seattle) so it could only be a plane ride away. On the other hand, the ingredients of the vaccine give me serious pause. My son is 5 months old on Wed and so far has had 2 doses of Dtap and HIB and Prevnar 13. We do one vax at a time, 2-4 weeks apart.
Related Forum Threads
- Working With Doctors Last post on 4/18/14 at 10:13pm in Selective & Delayed Vaccination
- Just starting vaccines Last post on 4/13/14 at 3:14pm in Selective & Delayed Vaccination
- Vaccinating foster children. Last post on 4/14/14 at 5:39pm in Selective & Delayed Vaccination
- Titer test for Hib and Pcv? Last post on 4/11/14 at 5:32pm in Selective & Delayed Vaccination
- Vaccines and Gut Health Last post on 3/26/14 at 3:16pm in Selective & Delayed Vaccination
My Vaccine Info
Last edited: 3/4/13
- Vaccinations: Why All the Fuss?Last edited: 12/26/13
- Vaccination BooklistLast edited: 6/27/11
- Selectively Vaccinating For International TravelLast edited: 6/27/11
- Vaccine Exemption Information for All 50 States In The USLast edited: 1/18/13
On fence about Polio vax...thoughts?post #1 of 31/27/13 at 1:41pmThread Starterpost #2 of 31/27/13 at 2:18pm
Each of my kids has had 3/4 polio shots. They will not be getting any more. They are 5 and 2.5. I don't see the need. Have no plans of traveling abroad... ever. If they do, they can deal with it when the time comes... getting their shots, etc... assuming they will be adults at that time.post #3 of 31/28/13 at 1:29am
Polio is almost eradicated world wide. A great triumph for vaccination programs.
So it's probably the least important vaccine to get in terms of risk of getting this disease.
However the vaccination is also very safe. Both my kids got it.
I think it would be a massive pity if people "jump the gun" - by which I mean, mass refusal to vaccinate against polio leading to a resurgence of polio in the west. I have no idea how likely that is, but since people are extremely mobile internationally I can understand the physical mechanism by which it would happen.
I would think from the US point of view, that it's endemic in Afghanistan would be a concern - given the military presence in that country.
From the Polio eradication website:Quote:Polio remains endemic in three countries – Afghanistan, Nigeria and Pakistan – and has re-established transmission in three countries which were previously polio-free (Angola, Chad and Democratic Republic of the Congo). Several more countries had ongoing outbreaks in 2011 due to importations of poliovirus.
The list of "importation countries":
- Vaccinations: Why All the Fuss?
- › One concerned parent to another 28 minutes ago
- › Pool at MIL's house - wwyd? 29 minutes ago
- › One concerned parent to another 30 minutes ago
- › One concerned parent to another 33 minutes ago
- › One concerned parent to another 34 minutes ago
- › Stripped membranes 38 minutes ago
- › Pre-teen wild child? 50 minutes ago
- › The Real Reason Kids Aren't Getting Vaccines 53 minutes ago
- › Coffeehouse spirituality for wandering souls 1 hour, 1 minute ago
- › friends children say "Oh my god" all the time... 1 hour, 9 minutes ago
- › Epibi Nursing Pads by SparkleMaman
- › By Marie Winn - The Plug-In Drug: Television, Computers, and Family... by Catholic Mama
- › Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver by ss834
- › Pyur Diaper Balm by MimiPilla
- › Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, Fragrance Free, by KatelynRose
- › Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Video Monitor with 2.5"... by thebessmartinfo
- › Happy Heiny's One Size Cloth Diapers by SquirmyWorm
- › Homesteader's Kitchen, The: Recipes from Farm to Table by Monica S
- › Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin, 90 Tablets by glwilson22
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › Turning Five by Sheryl Paul
- › WellFuture WellBelly April 2014 Giveaway by JenniO11
- › 30 Hilarious and Inspiring Parenting Quotes... by Melanie Mayo
- › Should We Stop Acting Like Breastfeeding is a... by Sarah Clark
- › Got Trust? The Antidote for Insecurity &... by Marcy Axness
- › Finding My Tribe After the Death of My Daughter by Melanie Mayo
- › Ten Tips for Surviving Two Under Two by Melanie Mayo
- › The Worry and Wonderment of Parenting by Melanie Mayo
- › 5 Surprising Benefits to Making a Pet a Part... by Melanie Mayo
- › Mining Joy from the Muck of Daily Mothering by Marcy Axness