Delayed/select vaxers: Did you do the polio vax? I am on the fence. On the one hand, it is incredibly rare to nonexistent in this country, but I live in an area with a lot of international transplants and travelers (Seattle) so it could only be a plane ride away. On the other hand, the ingredients of the vaccine give me serious pause. My son is 5 months old on Wed and so far has had 2 doses of Dtap and HIB and Prevnar 13. We do one vax at a time, 2-4 weeks apart.
Related Forum Threads
- AVOID ACETAMINOPHEN Last post on 6/16/13 at 6:02pm in Mindful Vaccination
- Might vaccinate this time around Last post on Yesterday at 1:21 pm in Mindful Vaccination
- Ready to get a Tdap for 7yo need help Last post on 6/5/13 at 9:25pm in Mindful Vaccination
- Jabbed: Love, Fear and Vaccines Last post on 6/6/13 at 6:10pm in Mindful Vaccination
- Stress reaction may help vaccines work better Last post on 5/20/13 at 12:56pm in Mindful Vaccination
My Vaccine Info
Edited on 3/4/13
- Vaccinations: Why All the Fuss?Edited on 2/24/13
- Vaccination BooklistEdited on 6/27/11
- Selectively Vaccinating For International TravelEdited on 6/27/11
- Vaccine Exemption Information for All 50 States In The USEdited on 1/18/13
On fence about Polio vax...thoughts?Sponsored Linkspost #2 of 31/27/13 at 2:18pm
Each of my kids has had 3/4 polio shots. They will not be getting any more. They are 5 and 2.5. I don't see the need. Have no plans of traveling abroad... ever. If they do, they can deal with it when the time comes... getting their shots, etc... assuming they will be adults at that time.post #3 of 31/28/13 at 1:29am
Polio is almost eradicated world wide. A great triumph for vaccination programs.
So it's probably the least important vaccine to get in terms of risk of getting this disease.
However the vaccination is also very safe. Both my kids got it.
I think it would be a massive pity if people "jump the gun" - by which I mean, mass refusal to vaccinate against polio leading to a resurgence of polio in the west. I have no idea how likely that is, but since people are extremely mobile internationally I can understand the physical mechanism by which it would happen.
I would think from the US point of view, that it's endemic in Afghanistan would be a concern - given the military presence in that country.
From the Polio eradication website:Quote:Polio remains endemic in three countries – Afghanistan, Nigeria and Pakistan – and has re-established transmission in three countries which were previously polio-free (Angola, Chad and Democratic Republic of the Congo). Several more countries had ongoing outbreaks in 2011 due to importations of poliovirus.
The list of "importation countries":
- Vaccinations: Why All the Fuss?
- › Exciting, Fun Preparations! 1 minute ago
- › Baby names - what are your favorites? 1 minute ago
- › Dealing with the stress of school meetings? 2 minutes ago
- › Spotting and really scared 9 minutes ago
- › Confused on how many weeks I actually am ... 10 minutes ago
- › Starting a Homeschool Daisy Scout Troop in NE Ohio? 17 minutes ago
- › The Belly Bump Thread - Second Trimester!! 18 minutes ago
- › vaccines are great 20 minutes ago
- › Does your child need milk (cow's) at night and you worry about... 21 minutes ago
- › How would you deal with this bilingual child's issue? 34 minutes ago
- › Aveeno Cleansing baby shampoo by fayebond
- › Aveeno Soothing Oat Baby Wash by fayebond
- › Earth Mama Body Butter - 8oz by fayebond
- › Maclaren Beginning Travel Kit for Mother by fayebond
- › Bravado Designs Bodysilk Seamless Nursing Bra by lightbulb
- › Bug Band Insect Repellent Wristbands - Blue by fayebond
- › Natural Bug Blend Bug Repellent Spray by fayebond
- › Do Naturals Just Berry Shampoo and Conditioner by fayebond
- › Zoe organics Baby Bath Tea by fayebond
- › Calming Blend Shampoo & Bodywash 17oz by fayebond
- › Ouch! How Homeopathy Can Help With Those... by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathic Help for Post-Partum Mothers: a... by Melanie Mayo
- › Adding the Second Child by Sarah Clark
- › 5 Steps for Managing Stress and Anxiety by Melanie Mayo
- › What Marketers Don't Understand About... by Melanie Mayo
- › For the Dads by Rachel Wolf
- › What Happened When This Bereaved Mom Sought A... by momofnatasha
- › More About Soothing Small Tummies from... by Melanie Mayo
- › Get Ready To Read By Playing by Melanie Mayo
- › "Do You Trust Me?" by SantoshaMama