I am applying to preschools for my 3 1/2 year old son who is not vaccinated. Does anyone have any experience with any preschools (private--not CPS) that accept non-vaccinated children in Chicago? How do you approach the subject with the school? Preschool enrollment is very competitive here and I'm hesitant to bring up the topic and ask if they allow children without vaccinations (with an exemption) before my son is has been accepted to the program for fear they will not accept my child based on not being vaccinated. Thank you so much. Any advice is appreciated!
Related Forum Threads
- DH has shingles.... how to prepare for chicken pox? Last post on Today at 11:04 am in I'm Not Vaccinating
- MSM Fox News Tells of Vaccine's Failure Last post on 5/20/13 at 6:42pm in I'm Not Vaccinating
- Ear piercing and Tetanus Last post on 5/20/13 at 12:27pm in I'm Not Vaccinating
- How do I claim religious exemption? Last post on 5/20/13 at 1:59pm in I'm Not Vaccinating
- Argument by Intimidation Last post on Yesterday at 10:24 am in I'm Not Vaccinating
Vaccinations: Why All the Fuss?
Edited on 2/24/13
- Resources for Non-vaccinating FamiliesEdited on 1/18/13
- Frontline's War on Selectively Vaccinating ParentsEdited on 3/14/13
- In Britain 12-Year-Olds Vaccinated Without Parental ConsentEdited on 3/8/13
- The Right to RefuseEdited on 3/20/13
Anyone with experience sending a non-vaccinated child to preschool in Chicago?post #2 of 91/29/13 at 9:35pm
i would suggest asking in the "Finding Your Tribe" for that region. here is hte link :http://www.mothering.com/community/f/86/missouri-illinois-iowa
and welcome to mothering.com!!!post #3 of 91/30/13 at 8:49am
I do not live in Chicago BUT Illinois law is written very clearly. Licensed Preschools/daycares must accept a valid religious exemption. All preschools/daycares are private so this is neither here nor there.
My advice would be apply and don't mention anything and just submit the exemption with the enrollment paperwork. As long as you know your rights, you should be good to go.
andQuote:All children entering school programs (includes nursery schools, pre-school programs, early childhood programs, Head Start, or other pre-kindergarten child care programs offered or operated by a school or school district) in Illinois for the first time shall present evidence of immunity against:Quote:The objection by the parent or guardian of a child entering school (including programs under the kindergarten level) sets forth the specific religious belief which conflicts with the immunization(s). The religious objection may be personal and need not be directed by the tenets of an established religious organization.
Good luck!post #4 of 91/30/13 at 1:26pmThread Starter
Thank you! I've already had one preschool reject him because I brought it up first. Said that they were too small to allow an unvaccinated child in--puts others at risk, particularly those who cannot be vaccinated due to medical reasons. I was in shock. I was told that private preschools did not have to accept exemptions--only those that were part of the public school system.post #5 of 91/30/13 at 4:26pmWell, you learned your lesson there; don't bring it up!!
Turn in your application paperwork with the vaccine exemption instead of the vaccinations received form. Turn in the "good to go" paperwork from your doctor.
If you prepay for six months they WON'T turn you away!post #6 of 91/30/13 at 6:25pmThread Starterpost #7 of 91/31/13 at 8:50amQuote:Originally Posted by pedscst
Thank you! I've already had one preschool reject him because I brought it up first. Said that they were too small to allow an unvaccinated child in--puts others at risk, particularly those who cannot be vaccinated due to medical reasons. I was in shock. I was told that private preschools did not have to accept exemptions--only those that were part of the public school system.
This is bullshit. Just read the law. If they are licensed by the state of IL which they obviously are because otherwise they wouldn't be operating, they have to accept them. You could make a stink, you could threaten a lawsuit, but then things just get ugly and who wants to start out a preschool experience like that? They may not even be aware they have no choice because they have never had anyone question what they tell people.post #8 of 91/31/13 at 6:57pmThread Starter
- Anyone with experience sending a non-vaccinated child to preschool in Chicago?
- Resources for Non-vaccinating Families
- › Tetanis help - pic 1 minute ago
- › When do you tell family and older siblings? 2 minutes ago
- › What Curriculum are you Using? 4 minutes ago
- › Lula Ileene's Birth 8 minutes ago
- › Signs of Impending Labor - chat thread 10 minutes ago
- › Homeschooling Mamas: How do you get your "me" time? 13 minutes ago
- › weekly thread May 20-26 18 minutes ago
- › Did your boys arrive later than your girls? 19 minutes ago
- › What gives *you* inspiration to declutter? 20 minutes ago
- › Leave Your Kids at the Park? 22 minutes ago
- › Boppy Nursing Pillow with Slipcover by Cathlin
- › The First Years Breastflow BPA Free Bottle, 5 Ounce by KaliShanti
- › Simple Wishes Hands-Free Breastpump Bra, XS/S/M by KaliShanti
- › Seal N Go Breast Milk Freezer Disposable Liners - 25 / Pack by KaliShanti
- › Medela Quick Clean Micro-Steam Bags by KaliShanti
- › Lansinoh 20435 Breastmilk Storage Bags, 25-Count Boxes (Pack of 3) by KaliShanti
- › Medela Pump and Save Storage Bags- 20-count by KaliShanti
- › Philips AVENT ISIS Manual Breast Pump, White by KaliShanti
- › Ameda Purely Yours Ultra Breast Pump by KaliShanti
- › Philips AVENT BPA Free Natural Polypropylene Bottles by KaliShanti
- › My Heart Growing Fonder by Melanie Mayo
- › Happy Simple Baby Love by Melanie Mayo
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer... by Melanie Mayo
- › Relax. Parenting Is Supposed to Be Messy,... by Brian Leaf
- › Managing Mom Stress: Sharing Tips and Trying... by Melanie Mayo
- › Who Wants to Sleep Alone? by Cynthia Mosher
- › Should I Train My Child....Like a Dog?! by Sarah Clark
- › Mothering Articles by Melanie Mayo