My dh has always been allergic to dairy. Before kids, we mainly cooked dinner together and substituting diary was not difficult. At that time he would eat soy based substitutions. Fast forward 10 years and two kids, we have kind of slid into "traditional" roles where I am the at home mom, cooking dinner for the whole family every night. He does help BBQ or such if I ask him, its not like he demands I cook dinner or anything. However, a few years ago he became intolerant to MANY foods and with two semi picky kids I feel very overwhelmed trying to make dinner where we all eat at the same time. There is a list of about 10 meals which I usually make that seem to not be to overwhelming to cook and but they still seem to give dh stomach aches.. He did visit a doc for food allergies, tests were inconclusive. I feel that because he does work a physically and mentally demanding job, I should make a effort to make him a decent dinner that won't make him sick, but I HATE IT. I don't like cooking anymore, I feel terrible when what I do cook makes him ill, and at the end of a long day homeschooling the kids (we are out of the house each day for activities too) I really don;t want to stress out about cooking.
- topicMeal Planning
Related Forum Threads
- How low can your grocery bill go? Last post on 5/12/13 at 4:19pm in Meal Planning
- Paleo -what's for breakfast? Last post on Today at 12:54 pm in Meal Planning
- Uses for Leftovers!!! Go.... Last post on 5/11/13 at 7:01am in Meal Planning
- How long would these two items keep in the fridge? Last post on 4/8/13 at 7:54pm in Meal Planning
- The "Holy Grail" of Dinner Last post on 4/12/13 at 8:12pm in Meal Planning
Family Meal Planning
Edited on 1/7/13
- Feed The Freezer Traditional FoodsEdited on 6/27/11
- Meal Planning ResourcesEdited on 6/27/11
dh food allergies/intolerances stressing me out!post #1 of 42/1/13 at 9:22amThread Starterpost #2 of 42/1/13 at 3:04pm
No advice, but I hear you. We have many allergies in this house--competing ones-- and that with one picky eater, it has simply taken the wind out of my sails for cooking.
It would be nice if he could at least come up with menu idea himself, that way, the burden of guilt that you put on yourself for when he gets sick would not be an issue.
What is he eating for lunch? How are you sure that it is his dinner and not his lunch that is giving him trouble?
We also homeschool, and being a full-time homeschooling parent is also a demanding job. He needs to work on this together with you. I guess I did have some advice.post #3 of 42/1/13 at 4:58pmI don't have any advice either, but wanted to tell you that I feel the same way. I find cooking exhausting and people think I like it bc I do it all the time. No! It is bc I have to! My DH is ok, but my kids and me with the food intolerances, etc. ugh.
When someone is picky on top of that, I can go bananas. I wish I had an Oprah-style chef, making healthy delicious food for all of us!post #4 of 42/1/13 at 5:14pmStick as close to raw foods as possible. Sting beans with grated parm cheese may b funfor dipping for kids..
I have many allergies myself am vegetarian n hubby is picky. Maybe ur hubby shld b tested for an ulcer? In any case, Good luck!
- dh food allergies/intolerances stressing me out!
- Feed The Freezer Traditional Foods
- › DH wants to send DSS to live with his mom :( 2 minutes ago
- › Show off your baby! 7 minutes ago
- › May 2013 Chit Chat 10 minutes ago
- › Neighbor touched my son's penis (3yo) 13 minutes ago
- › Anyone have HUGE temp rise at 9 dpo and NOT be pregnant? 17 minutes ago
- › Spring IVF 2013 18 minutes ago
- › ~*~*Introductions Thread*~*~*~ 18 minutes ago
- › I need insight about my teen's sexuality 18 minutes ago
- › Thread for posting US pics! 19 minutes ago
- › Is my 3 year old normal? 19 minutes ago
- › Trillium Organics OGmama Belly Butter by trilliumama
- › Gaiam Wrap Waist Yoga Pants by Melanie Mayo
- › Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by dayiscoming2006
- › Charlie Banana Reusable Feminine Pads Liner Butterfly, Butterfly by Chapsie
- › Earth Mama-Angel Baby Earth Mama Bottom Balm, 2 fl oz (60 ml) by Chapsie
- › Econobum Individual by Chapsie
- › EnJoye LBI Deluxe Tote Set - Brown by JennaRose
- › Lusa Organics Booty Balm by emkassu
- › I Took the Moon for a Walk by Melanie Mayo
- › BabyKicks Premium Pocket Diaper by KirstenP
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer... by Melanie Mayo
- › Relax. Parenting Is Supposed to Be Messy,... by Brian Leaf
- › Managing Mom Stress: Sharing Tips and Trying... by Melanie Mayo
- › Who Wants to Sleep Alone? by Cynthia Mosher
- › Should I Train My Child....Like a Dog?! by Sarah Clark
- › Mothering Articles by Melanie Mayo
- › Terms and Conditions - Sustainability Oak... by JenniO11
- › Terms and Conditions - Mothering... by JenniO11