I had a friend ask me, and I've been out of the TTC game long enough, that I have no idea. Which OPKs are working best for you??
Mothering Top Picks
- topicTrying To Conceive
Related Forum Threads
- Intro & My Cycle Update Last post on Yesterday at 9:34 pm in Trying To Conceive
- Want to take pregnancy test! Last post on Yesterday at 8:16 am in Trying To Conceive
- three days late, negative tests Last post on 5/16/13 at 11:31am in Trying To Conceive
- three days late, negative tests Last post on 5/17/13 at 10:00am in Fertility
- And I'm back...preparing to TTC Last post on 5/17/13 at 10:12am in Trying To Conceive
What's the best OPK?
Hi Adina!! I am not sure there are better or worse OPKs, whatever is affordable and works for your friend! I started out using FRER OPKs. They often come with a free HPT, which is handy. I like them and find them easy to interpret (ie. it is clear to me when the test line is as dark or darker than the control). That said, you only get 7 for $12 or $13. I also tried the Clear Blue Easy Brand OPKs. I did not like these and found them harder to interpret, it was not clear to me when I had a positive test. I admit, I am not a fan of the blue dye tests overall. I found after a few months without success TTC that I like to test twice a day as Ovulation approaches. As such, I've purchased Wondfo brand tests. You can find them on Amazon or Ebay - really cheap and ratings indicate they're pretty sensitive and reliable. You can get 100 OPKs and 20 HPTs for $25!! I bought 50 OPKs and 20 HPTs for $17. You do need to use a cup (cannot pee right on them) but they are easy to see results. Well that's my Good luck and babydust to your friend!!
Conversely, the Clear Blue tests with the Smiley faces get high marks. They are also among the most expensive. I have a box waiting for me next cycle.
I liked the ones from early-pregnancy-tests.com, they were cheaper than the brand-name ones and had a nice wide strip with good sharp lines unlike the Wondfos I got off Amazon which were much narrower and a bit fuzzy looking. I read a Consumer Reports study on ovulation and HPT brands from 2009, and the only OPK that was able to detect down to 25 miu (surge between 20-100 miu, depending on the woman) was Clearbue Easy, and I think their digital was a little less sensitive but still well under 50. I'd say try the cheapos for a cycle, and if you don't get a clear positive, then try the Clearblues or First Response. Whatever you pick, stick with that brand for that cycle, otherwise is really hard to compare tests to see if you are building up to a surge or coming down off one.
I'd say try the cheapos for a cycle, and if you don't get a clear positive, then try the Clearblues or First Response. Whatever you pick, stick with that brand for that cycle, otherwise is really hard to compare tests to see if you are building up to a surge or coming down off one.
Yup, good advice.
I just started using OPK's this cycle and got the 50 pack of wondfos off Amazon, and I'm not super impressed by them. The price was fantastic, but I always get 2 lines, 1 lighter than the other, which is negative, and one day it seemed that both lines were the same intensity in color, which would indicate positive, but it wasn't glaringly obvious so I was left wondering if that was really it...
- What's the best OPK?
- › Gender Disappointment / Expectation? 1 minute ago
- › Blog post & link to new group 1 minute ago
- › Need advice- obsessed Grandma causing problems 3 minutes ago
- › Nursing Mamas TTC May 19 minutes ago
- › 10-15 Minute Cleaning Sessions (New Thread) 34 minutes ago
- › new to breastfeeding.. 37 minutes ago
- › New mum from Australia 37 minutes ago
- › May 2013 Chit Chat 37 minutes ago
- › How to get scammed money back with the universal laws? 40 minutes ago
- › Weekly Chat - May 7 to May 13 58 minutes ago
- › Trillium Organics OGmama Belly Butter by trilliumama
- › Gaiam Wrap Waist Yoga Pants by Melanie Mayo
- › Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by dayiscoming2006
- › Charlie Banana Reusable Feminine Pads Liner Butterfly, Butterfly by Chapsie
- › Earth Mama-Angel Baby Earth Mama Bottom Balm, 2 fl oz (60 ml) by Chapsie
- › Econobum Individual by Chapsie
- › EnJoye LBI Deluxe Tote Set - Brown by JennaRose
- › Lusa Organics Booty Balm by emkassu
- › I Took the Moon for a Walk by Melanie Mayo
- › BabyKicks Premium Pocket Diaper by KirstenP
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer... by Melanie Mayo
- › Relax. Parenting Is Supposed to Be Messy,... by Brian Leaf
- › Managing Mom Stress: Sharing Tips and Trying... by Melanie Mayo
- › Who Wants to Sleep Alone? by Cynthia Mosher
- › Should I Train My Child....Like a Dog?! by Sarah Clark
- › Mothering Articles by Melanie Mayo
- › Terms and Conditions - Sustainability Oak... by JenniO11
- › Terms and Conditions - Mothering... by JenniO11