Originally Posted by Quinalla
jessmn, so glad the kidney is looking normal now and your iron is better! And baby A is the same size as my DD when she was born, so woohoo there
- Hmm, the Baby A cord from what I've seen is pretty standard even though I don't like it, but it isn't one I would probably argue too much on.
- Regarding your doula in the operating room, can you talk to the anesthesiologist(s) ahead of time? Probably not, but that sucks if your doula is not going to be able to come in.
- As far as when to come to the hospital, that's something I've been thinking about myself. I want to wait until I'm in good active labor, but I also think maybe I should get there a little quicker than last time, hmm.
- So you'll be given antibiotics regardless? Can they not test you for GBS early and then retest if needed? I would not want unnecessary antibiotics as that can lead to thrush which from what I hear sucks a lot! Also means IV for sure, but my guess is they will push that anyway.
I personally want to avoid epidurals, my OB earlier when we were talking seemed to be fine with not having to have one for a just-in-case, but I need to chat with her again and make sure. I don't like anesthesia and I want to be able to feel labor. I'm kind of just wanting to get to the hospital pretty late again so that most of this will just be a moot point because oh it's time to push now! Though I don't think they'll have me sitting in triage for as long if at all this time, dunno, should be interesting to see how the staff is with twins vs. singleton. Grats on being a model pregnant lady, I have been so far too! Not sure on videos, but I think it is a good idea to watch a few, I know there are tons out there on youtube and probably some twin ones as well. If I have time, I'll see what I can find tonight!
I don't think I can talk to the anesthesiologist ahead of time, but I guess if I know I'm going to have a c section, everything will be scheduled and maybe there's an increased chance of being able to ask if both can be there.
Gosh I'm so anxious about contractions that I can't imagine waiting to go to the hospital. I'm probably going to be one of those people that wants to go straight there right away. Of course if they are breech maybe I should...I don't know. I'm not clear yet on what I should do if Baby A is breech or not.
It sounds like if I go into labor before they test for it at 36 weeks, they they treat me as if I have it. I should have asked about being tested multiple times, I didn't know that was possible! I would really like to avoid unnecessary antibiotics - my body hates them!
Originally Posted by 2babies2kidsmom
Jess, good luck getting the babies to turn. I am also going to start talking to chiropractors in my area.
I am going to do the Group B Strep test several times, just in case I go into labor early. Both my other labors started with my waters breaking, and the first time I hadn't had the test yet, so I had to get the antibiotics. My OB is fine with me taking the test early but she said the results are only good for a couple of weeks. I'm planning to do it at my 33 week and 35 week appointments. The more I learn about antibiotics the more I want to avoid them if possible.
My doula told me the best way to avoid intervention is to wait as long as possible to go to the hospital. Are you hoping for a natural birth or are you planning to get pain meds? (Not judging either way).
I am also a little confused about the spinal/epidural. I have read the spinal is safer, and when I asked my OB she said that's what they use for non-emergency C/Section, not epidural. But I have also read part of the reason the hospitals want you to get an epidural when you're having twins is in case you need a c/section. So do they use epidurals for c/section or not? My plan, if I am able to have a vaginal birth, is to skip the epidural and just have general anesthesia in case of emergency c/section. But my OB is only comfortable with that because this is not my first birth, so we know my pain tolerance is pretty high and my uterus is already stretchy.
Thanks, I hope I can get something to work. They sure wiggle around a lot, so sometimes I'm hopeful when they're doing that.
I hadn't thought of doing the test multiple times. I'm going to ask before my next appointment if I can do it when I'm in next. That will be 34 weeks and then I think I go weekly. Is it a blood test or do you know? I definitely want to avoid antibiotics, too. Icky.
My understanding is that they can use the epidural for a regular delivery with A and then turn it up for a c section with B if necessary. I think the spinal is quicker? and it's a one-needle thing, as I understand it, while an epidural gives continuous drugs. My doc didn't say anything about a spinal being the method for a non emergency c section, but then again he said we'd talk more about options at the next appointment.
I don't like the idea of any drugs, but I feel a bit cornered with twins. I would like to avoid being completely knocked out in the event Baby B needs a c section so to me the only option is to have the epidural for Baby A. I understand I can have the line in, but I can walk around and do whatever until Baby A is really ready to come, and turn it on. My doctor said there is not enough time between A and B for them to let me have A naturally and then in the event B needs a c section, turn on the epidural, so they would have to totally knock me out. I've never had any kind of hospital visit or surgery or numbness besides going to the dentist so all of these options make me very anxious. :/ I guess I'm most afraid of being totally knocked out because of the complete loss of control and awareness, whereas with an epidural at least I'm still there.