Here's my birth plan. Chapsie, I am interested in hearing your advice!! It is a little lengthy (2 pages), but I wanted to make sure we had all of our bases covered!
Twin Birth Plan
Patient of DR. XXXX
We recognize that multiple pregnancy, labor, and birth entail more risk than single-infant pregnancy and birth. We understand the need for flexibility during labor, birth, and postpartum, and we know that a healthy outcome for the babies and Mom is the main goal.
During labor and birth I request to have my partner, XXXX, my doula, XXXX, and birth photographer, XXXX, present at all times.
· No IV fluids. Heplock placed upon arrival—I am Strep B NEGATIVE
· No epidural or pain medication unless requested
· Intermittent fetal monitoring
· I prefer that vaginal exams be kept at an absolute minimum
Normal, spontaneous vaginal birth
If medically safe for me and my babies, I request:
· To deliver on a bed from L&D
· XXXX will photograph my birth
· Push in the position of my choice, at my own pace
· Delayed cord cutting of babies
· Baby A to be placed on Mom immediately after birth for skin to skin contact and breastfeeding while labor continues
· Dad or doula will hold Baby A while mom delivers Baby B
Pending no emergency medical assistance is required, I request:
· Spontaneous delivery of placenta(s)
· We request that the placentas be released to us after delivery
o Permission has been granted from XXXX for placenta(s) to be released without examination from pathology
o I designate that my placenta be released to XXXX ASAP after birth
· We decline infant eye ointment and the Hepatitis B vaccine
-The Hep B vaccine will be given by our pediatrician after discharge
· All testing/vaccines to be done while Mom, Dad, or doula holds babies
· No bottles or pacifiers without our request
· Baby A is male. We request NO CIRCUMCISION.
· Dad is to remain with mom at all times
· I request that our doulas be present if possible
· Please lower the drape after each baby is born
· Please free one hand after babies have been born so Mom can touch babies before recovery
· General anesthesia in the dosage that will allow for minimal time unconscious to allow for breastfeeding as soon as possible
· Dad is to remain with babies
· Please allow our doula, XXXX, to return to mom if dad has to leave with babies.
· No matter what situation arises during any baby’s NICU stay, we expect to be part of any discussion and to give permission for any medical intervention being considered for our children.
· Dad will accompany any baby to the NICU while mom or doula perform Kangaroo Care with the other baby