Trying to get more shellfish into our meal rotation. I've never been a huge fan, mainly because of texture (I know something like raw oysters would not be okay for us!). I made clam chowder last week, which was a huge hit with everyone, but that's pretty much the extent of my shellfish cooking brainstorming. What are some of your fave (and reasonably priced - lobster tails are probably out ) shellfish recipes?
- categoryNutrition Good Eating
Related Forum Threads
- BPA free pressure canning Last post on 5/13/13 at 9:57pm in Nutrition and Good Eating
- gluten free egg free bread Last post on Today at 6:34 am in Nutrition and Good Eating
- GAPS friendly cheesecake anyone? Last post on 5/13/13 at 7:56am in Nutrition and Good Eating
- Blooming Garlic Mustard Recipes? Last post on 5/8/13 at 8:42am in Nutrition and Good Eating
- My first batch of Sauerkraut Last post on 5/6/13 at 11:43am in Nutrition and Good Eating
Guest Blogger Patty James on Eating the Rainbow
Edited on 3/15/13
- Obese Parents, Obese Children = A Big Fat Problem in AmericaEdited on 3/13/13
- La petit gourmandEdited on 3/6/13
- Feeding Your Children Part V: Practical TipsEdited on 2/27/13
- Eat Your Brussels SproutsEdited on 3/7/13
Need Shellfish Recipe Ideaspost #1 of 22/9/13 at 6:24amThread Starterpost #2 of 22/11/13 at 7:23am
Risotto with prawns is very easy. Good comfort food at this time of year.
Heat 2 Tbsp. of olive oil in a large saucepan (Dutch oven works well).
Saute 1 lb. of peeled prawns. Remove from pan.
To the pan, add 1 chopped onion and saute until tender, about 3 to 5 minutes.
Add 2 crushed garlic cloves, zest of 1 lemon, and some dried herbs (thyme, oregano, basil, whatever) and saute for 1 minute.
Add 1 1/2 cups of arborio rice, stir to coat well with oil.
Add 1/2 to 3/4 cups of white wine or white vermouth (optional), stir until absorbed by rice.
Add 1/2 cup of warm chicken stock, stirring until absorbed by rice. Keep adding 1/2 cup of chicken stock at a time until about 3 cups in total have been added.
Add chopped carrot (1 or 2), red and orange peppers (1 or 2 total) and stir in.
Add another 1/2 cup of chicken stock and stir until absorbed, until about 1 to 2 cups in total have been added. You have to test the risotto for tenderness to decide how much chicken stock to add. I tend to use about 4 1/2 cups total liquid (wine and chicken stock).
Add 1 cup of chopped asparagus or frozen peas and the reserved prawns and stir for a few minutes.
Add 1 cup grated parmesan and 1/2 cup of chopped fresh basil or parsley, stir thoroughly.
Turn off heat, cover pot and let sit for 5 minutes.
Serve topped with more grated parmesan.
I do something similar with fresh pasta - linguine, fettucine or penne.
- Need Shellfish Recipe Ideas
- Obese Parents, Obese Children = A Big Fat Problem in America
- › April 2013 Book Challenge 36 seconds ago
- › More than 50% of the time, Rude, Moody, Mean ELEVEN Year old Girl. 37 seconds ago
- › Train Travel - Have you done it? Would you do it again? 5 minutes ago
- › Pre-K on school bus? 7 minutes ago
- › May the road rise up to meet you, Dingoes everywhere! 9 minutes ago
- › Epstein Barr Virus (reactivation) 11 minutes ago
- › Ipad for homeschooling 12 minutes ago
- › The Bedtime Routine 12 minutes ago
- › Early Intervention for speech 15 minutes ago
- › Spring IVF 2013 16 minutes ago
- › Trillium Organics OGmama Belly Butter by trilliumama
- › Gaiam Wrap Waist Yoga Pants by Melanie Mayo
- › Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by dayiscoming2006
- › Charlie Banana Reusable Feminine Pads Liner Butterfly, Butterfly by Chapsie
- › Earth Mama-Angel Baby Earth Mama Bottom Balm, 2 fl oz (60 ml) by Chapsie
- › Econobum Individual by Chapsie
- › EnJoye LBI Deluxe Tote Set - Brown by JennaRose
- › Lusa Organics Booty Balm by emkassu
- › I Took the Moon for a Walk by Melanie Mayo
- › BabyKicks Premium Pocket Diaper by KirstenP
- › Happy Simple Baby Love by SmilinMomma
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer... by Melanie Mayo
- › Relax. Parenting Is Supposed to Be Messy,... by Brian Leaf
- › Managing Mom Stress: Sharing Tips and Trying... by Melanie Mayo
- › Who Wants to Sleep Alone? by Cynthia Mosher
- › Should I Train My Child....Like a Dog?! by Sarah Clark
- › Mothering Articles by Melanie Mayo
- › Terms and Conditions - Sustainability Oak... by JenniO11