Trying to get more shellfish into our meal rotation. I've never been a huge fan, mainly because of texture (I know something like raw oysters would not be okay for us!). I made clam chowder last week, which was a huge hit with everyone, but that's pretty much the extent of my shellfish cooking brainstorming. What are some of your fave (and reasonably priced - lobster tails are probably out ) shellfish recipes?
- categoryNutrition Good Eatingtagged by root*children, 2/9/13
Related Forum Threads
- SCD forum? Last post on Yesterday at 11:53 pm in Nutrition and Good Eating
- World Cup Chilli Last post on Yesterday at 7:17 pm in Nutrition and Good Eating
- where do you get good prices for nuts Last post on Yesterday at 7:23 pm in Nutrition and Good Eating
- Teach me about paleo!!!! Last post on 4/11/14 at 4:51pm in Nutrition and Good Eating
- Need parents of 1-10 year olds for uni project (parental feeding practices) - Win Vouchers Last post on 4/6/14 at 8:54pm in Nutrition and Good Eating
Guest Blogger Patty James on Eating the Rainbow
Last edited: 3/15/13
- Obese Parents, Obese Children = A Big Fat Problem in AmericaLast edited: 3/13/13
- La petit gourmandLast edited: 3/6/13
- Feeding Your Children Part V: Practical TipsLast edited: 2/27/13
- Eat Your Brussels SproutsLast edited: 3/7/13
Need Shellfish Recipe Ideaspost #1 of 22/9/13 at 6:24amThread Starterpost #2 of 22/11/13 at 7:23am
Risotto with prawns is very easy. Good comfort food at this time of year.
Heat 2 Tbsp. of olive oil in a large saucepan (Dutch oven works well).
Saute 1 lb. of peeled prawns. Remove from pan.
To the pan, add 1 chopped onion and saute until tender, about 3 to 5 minutes.
Add 2 crushed garlic cloves, zest of 1 lemon, and some dried herbs (thyme, oregano, basil, whatever) and saute for 1 minute.
Add 1 1/2 cups of arborio rice, stir to coat well with oil.
Add 1/2 to 3/4 cups of white wine or white vermouth (optional), stir until absorbed by rice.
Add 1/2 cup of warm chicken stock, stirring until absorbed by rice. Keep adding 1/2 cup of chicken stock at a time until about 3 cups in total have been added.
Add chopped carrot (1 or 2), red and orange peppers (1 or 2 total) and stir in.
Add another 1/2 cup of chicken stock and stir until absorbed, until about 1 to 2 cups in total have been added. You have to test the risotto for tenderness to decide how much chicken stock to add. I tend to use about 4 1/2 cups total liquid (wine and chicken stock).
Add 1 cup of chopped asparagus or frozen peas and the reserved prawns and stir for a few minutes.
Add 1 cup grated parmesan and 1/2 cup of chopped fresh basil or parsley, stir thoroughly.
Turn off heat, cover pot and let sit for 5 minutes.
Serve topped with more grated parmesan.
I do something similar with fresh pasta - linguine, fettucine or penne.
- Obese Parents, Obese Children = A Big Fat Problem in America
- › Family dies of Diphtheria! 14 seconds ago
- › Just what a new baby needs! 3 minutes ago
- › In the hospital 6 minutes ago
- › Help me mainstream-up this birthday party idea! 9 minutes ago
- › would you use a male midwife? 9 minutes ago
- › Is anyone else having spotting? 11 minutes ago
- › Finding the right amount of structure 13 minutes ago
- › Hey SAHMs, how do you meet other "mom" friends???? 14 minutes ago
- › Anyone with an ex complaining about child support? 14 minutes ago
- › Let's All Say It Together: The Unvaccinated Are NOT To Blame for... 17 minutes ago
- › Epibi Nursing Pads by SparkleMaman
- › By Marie Winn - The Plug-In Drug: Television, Computers, and Family... by Catholic Mama
- › Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver by ss834
- › Pyur Diaper Balm by MimiPilla
- › Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, Fragrance Free, by KatelynRose
- › Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Video Monitor with 2.5"... by thebessmartinfo
- › Happy Heiny's One Size Cloth Diapers by SquirmyWorm
- › Homesteader's Kitchen, The: Recipes from Farm to Table by Monica S
- › Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin, 90 Tablets by glwilson22
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › WellFuture WellBelly April 2014 Giveaway by JenniO11
- › 30 Hilarious and Inspiring Parenting Quotes... by Melanie Mayo
- › Should We Stop Acting Like Breastfeeding is a... by Sarah Clark
- › Got Trust? The Antidote for Insecurity &... by Marcy Axness
- › Finding My Tribe After the Death of My Daughter by Melanie Mayo
- › Ten Tips for Surviving Two Under Two by Melanie Mayo
- › The Worry and Wonderment of Parenting by Melanie Mayo
- › 5 Surprising Benefits to Making a Pet a Part... by Melanie Mayo
- › Mining Joy from the Muck of Daily Mothering by Marcy Axness
- › Interview with Blair Lee, author by SavvyHomeschool