Trying to get more shellfish into our meal rotation. I've never been a huge fan, mainly because of texture (I know something like raw oysters would not be okay for us!). I made clam chowder last week, which was a huge hit with everyone, but that's pretty much the extent of my shellfish cooking brainstorming. What are some of your fave (and reasonably priced - lobster tails are probably out ) shellfish recipes?
- categoryNutrition Good Eatingtagged by root*children, 2/9/13
Related Forum Threads
- Favorite crockpot meals Last post on Today at 12:53 pm in Nutrition and Good Eating
- Nettle availablility Last post on Yesterday at 10:36 pm in Nutrition and Good Eating
- Any Grain free/Paleo Momma's out there?? Last post on 12/6/13 at 1:57pm in Nutrition and Good Eating
- Beans + tomatoes (acid) - yes or no? Last post on 12/6/13 at 11:35am in Nutrition and Good Eating
- Just try out marble chocolate bread Last post on 12/5/13 at 12:32am in Nutrition and Good Eating
Guest Blogger Patty James on Eating the Rainbow
Last edited: 3/15/13
- Obese Parents, Obese Children = A Big Fat Problem in AmericaLast edited: 3/13/13
- La petit gourmandLast edited: 3/6/13
- Feeding Your Children Part V: Practical TipsLast edited: 2/27/13
- Eat Your Brussels SproutsLast edited: 3/7/13
Need Shellfish Recipe Ideaspost #1 of 22/9/13 at 6:24amThread Starterpost #2 of 22/11/13 at 7:23am
Risotto with prawns is very easy. Good comfort food at this time of year.
Heat 2 Tbsp. of olive oil in a large saucepan (Dutch oven works well).
Saute 1 lb. of peeled prawns. Remove from pan.
To the pan, add 1 chopped onion and saute until tender, about 3 to 5 minutes.
Add 2 crushed garlic cloves, zest of 1 lemon, and some dried herbs (thyme, oregano, basil, whatever) and saute for 1 minute.
Add 1 1/2 cups of arborio rice, stir to coat well with oil.
Add 1/2 to 3/4 cups of white wine or white vermouth (optional), stir until absorbed by rice.
Add 1/2 cup of warm chicken stock, stirring until absorbed by rice. Keep adding 1/2 cup of chicken stock at a time until about 3 cups in total have been added.
Add chopped carrot (1 or 2), red and orange peppers (1 or 2 total) and stir in.
Add another 1/2 cup of chicken stock and stir until absorbed, until about 1 to 2 cups in total have been added. You have to test the risotto for tenderness to decide how much chicken stock to add. I tend to use about 4 1/2 cups total liquid (wine and chicken stock).
Add 1 cup of chopped asparagus or frozen peas and the reserved prawns and stir for a few minutes.
Add 1 cup grated parmesan and 1/2 cup of chopped fresh basil or parsley, stir thoroughly.
Turn off heat, cover pot and let sit for 5 minutes.
Serve topped with more grated parmesan.
I do something similar with fresh pasta - linguine, fettucine or penne.
- Obese Parents, Obese Children = A Big Fat Problem in America
- › Unwanted Baby Gifts 6 seconds ago
- › Welcome! Come introduce yourself! 38 seconds ago
- › The Fertility Challenged One Thread 1 minute ago
- › When will you tell your little ones about the pregnancy? 4 minutes ago
- › Names yet? 6 minutes ago
- › Please explain to me why.. 6 minutes ago
- › No heartbeat. Gone. 8 minutes ago
- › Queer Conceptions December 10 minutes ago
- › I just found out what I'm having :) 11 minutes ago
- › Long LH Surge 11 minutes ago
- › The Return of the Light: Twelve Tales from Around the World for the... by Terry Stafford
- › The Shortest Day: Celebrating the Winter Solstice by Terry Stafford
- › The Diaper-Free Baby: The Natural Toilet Training Alternative by Fembot
- › The Snow Queen by Astraia
- › The Polar Express by Alyssa Eisner
- › The Night Before Christmas by 1love4ever
- › The Snowy Day by janonia
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by Melanie Mayo
- › Christmas in the Big Woods by Melanie Mayo
- › Diva Cup Diva Cup #2 Post Childbirth, Cup by Taqah
- › Phases of a Nursling by OliviaHinebaugh
- › Holiday Books Giveaway Rules by Melanie Mayo
- › Developmental Milestones to Marvel At by Melanie Mayo
- › 15 Fun and Enchanting Holiday Tales for Children by Melanie Mayo
- › To Santa or Not To Santa by JillVettel
- › Three Low Cost Holiday Gifts to Make with Kids by Monica S
- › Mothering with Mental Illness: The Natural... by OliviaHinebaugh
- › A Difficult Conversation by Melanie Mayo
- › Does Motherhood Matter Anymore? by Melanie Mayo
- › Terms and Conditions: Holiday Cards Giveaway... by Cynthia Mosher