or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Baby Health › Vaccinations › Vaccinations Debate › Are your child's other caregivers vaxed? Do you care?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Are your child's other caregivers vaxed? Do you care?

Poll Results: Do you know the vax status of your child's non-primary caregivers (non-custodial parent, non-custodial stepparent, grandparent, daycare worker, teacher, etc)? Does it matter to you?

This is a multiple choice poll
  • 5% (1)
    I know that they are all up to date on vaxes.
  • 0% (0)
    I know that some of them are not up to date, and this concerns me.
  • 5% (1)
    I know that some of them are not up to date, and I don't care.
  • 76% (13)
    I don't know the vax status of my child's other caregivers - I never asked.
  • 0% (0)
    I don't know their vax status - I asked and they didn't tell me.
  • 11% (2)
    I know they don't vaccinate at all, and I'm glad.
  • 0% (0)
    I know they don't vaccinate at all, and this concerns me.
17 Total Votes  
post #1 of 36
Thread Starter 

My first MDC poll, so please let me know if you think any answers are missing, could be worded better, etc.  Thanks! smile.gif

post #2 of 36

I don't think it's much of our business is it? They're adults and it's up to them to make medical decisions for themselves. And it's none of my business what those decisions are. I hope they are vaccinated, because I hope they understand the benefits of vaccination and the need to help protect children who cannot or do not get vaccinated and/or don't develop immunity from the vaccination from VPDs..... but I would certainly never ask. :) 

post #3 of 36
I asked about the vax status of the members of the household where DS is in care. I asked about lots of things before leaving my child with them to make sure that his exposure was things I was comfortable with. I asked specifically about Pertussis boosters and MMR (of the provider and her older child who is the only other child besides DS. I don't care so much about flu, polio diptheria, rotovirus, Hib, varicella etc because I don't feel those impact my DS when he is in care. But Pertussis did (he started at 3 months which was before he was protected by his own shots.). If she would have refused to disclose, I would have found another caregiver.
post #4 of 36
Thread Starter 

That's pretty much how I feel too, TBH!  (ETA: I feel the same as prosciencemum.)

 

The only one whose vax status I know is my mom, my daughter's grandmother, because she lives with us and I take her to her dr's appointments. We haven't used daycare yet, but I don't know whether my daughter's occasional babysitters, playgroup leaders, other relatives, etc. are vaxed, and I don't care. 

 

I just thought it was an interesting question.  We've discussed the issue here of whether people who work in hospitals should be up to date on their vaccines - what about people who spend their entire workday around children, such as daycare workers and teachers?  

 

I personally know parents who are dubious about me bringing my daughter to RL "crunchy mama" meetups, because there might be unvaxed families there.  So I'm assuming a parent like that might want to know whether their child's other caregivers are vaxed or not. 

 

Discuss amongst yourselves! orngbiggrin.gif

post #5 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post

I don't think it's much of our business is it? They're adults and it's up to them to make medical decisions for themselves. And it's none of my business what those decisions are.

I agree with this.
post #6 of 36

From the fanatical pro-vax perspective, a case can be made that everybody's vax status is everybody's business.

post #7 of 36
I assume the people who work at daycare are vaxxed because they are required to be. I know at least a couple of the children are not.
post #8 of 36

My only concern would be with anyone recently vaxxed with smallpox and we pretty much don't have any contact with anyone who would be, so no don't really care or know.

post #9 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

I assume the people who work at daycare are vaxxed because they are required to be. I know at least a couple of the children are not.

 

When you say the daycare workers are "required" to be, can they submit exemption forms?  What would happen if a worker refused to be vaxed - would she be terminated, or reassigned to a job where she had no contact with children, or what? 

post #10 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitfulmomma View Post

My only concern would be with anyone recently vaxxed with smallpox and we pretty much don't have any contact with anyone who would be, so no don't really care or know.

 

Can you explain the concern with the recent smallpox vax in more detail?  Or will Google tell me most of what I need to know? 

post #11 of 36

Per cdc anyone who has/had eczema is at increased risk from having or being in close proximity to someone who has recently been vaxxed. 

 

You can google for a story about a soldier home on unexpected leave after having it and what happened to his son.

post #12 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitfulmomma View Post

Per cdc anyone who has/had eczema is at increased risk from having or being in close proximity to someone who has recently been vaxxed. 

You can google for a story about a soldier home on unexpected leave after having it and what happened to his son.

Thank you for that piece of info. DS has had major skin issues since around the time that he began going to daycare, before DD was born. We actually have an appt for allergy testing coming up, which I realize may not be very helpful due to false positives. I'm going to look for that article. Sorry of this was OT.

I've never asked about status. I realize I'm in the minority by not vaxxing and assume ppl will be out in public after getting vaxed, just like many people bring their kids out when they're sick. So knowing vax status is of no help to me.
post #13 of 36
Fruitfulmomma, can you link to the article or send me a PM with it?
post #14 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by glassesgirlnj View Post

When you say the daycare workers are "required" to be, can they submit exemption forms?  What would happen if a worker refused to be vaxed - would she be terminated, or reassigned to a job where she had no contact with children, or what? 

I have no idea. My assumption applies to both parts of that statement.
post #15 of 36
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by glassesgirlnj View Post

When you say the daycare workers are "required" to be, can they submit exemption forms?  What would happen if a worker refused to be vaxed - would she be terminated, or reassigned to a job where she had no contact with children, or what? 

I have no idea. My assumption applies to both parts of that statement.

 child care workers (daycare, etc) in my state are NOT required to be up to date- no proof of vacs are even required or kept, only health issue is a completion of TB test (and you can get out of that) - children are required but exemptions must be honored (religious & medical) - we do not require health care workers either

post #16 of 36
I don't ask and I'm truly not concerned. In fact for the vaccines that shed I rather no one taking care of my children have them right before caring for them. If I believe vaccines work then what is the fear of the non vax?
post #17 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenbat View Post

 child care workers (daycare, etc) in my state are NOT required to be up to date- no proof of vacs are even required or kept, only health issue is a completion of TB test (and you can get out of that) - children are required but exemptions must be honored (religious & medical) - we do not require health care workers either

nor in my state either...i worked at a daycare, and was not required..i would have refused anyways.  And, i would think an employer disclosing medical info about an employess vax status  without their express permission is a violation of HIPPA laws

 

to answer the question, although my kids are far from needing childcare, if given the choice, i'd prefer their caregivers NOT be vaxed. 

post #18 of 36

 There is an option missing "I know they are vaccinated and it concerns me!" 

 

 My husband is forced to be vaccinated by the military. Some of these vaccines shed and the military is known to give vaccines that courts have told them they can not force on soldiers anyway. (Think anthrax) and it is a concern. It really bothers my husband as well. I have heard and said myself many times times "He gets vaccinated, we get sick." Sometimes he gets sick too! Sure enough, about 10 days after he got the flu mist this year I was really sick. With an autoimmune issue, I really don't deal with illness well. Thankfully our kids are very healthy and only seem to get a cold about once a year, either around when DH gets his flu shot or after we travel far. We don't tend to visit friends and family who have recently been vaccinated. 

post #19 of 36
Don't know, don't care. Medical information is never anyone else's business.
post #20 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by maos211 View Post

If I believe vaccines work then what is the fear of the non vax?

I would be more worried if our child was not fully vaxed due to age. If we have another baby I am going to see if our sitter will get the Tdap if she hasn't already. I am not too worried about DD since she has had the DTaP series but I would be concerned with a new baby. I also encouraged my mom and dad to get the Tdap. 

 

If someone refused I'm not sure what I'd do. most ppl are not nonvax though and would at least consider that request. 

 

sorry so disjointed, nak.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Vaccinations Debate
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Baby Health › Vaccinations › Vaccinations Debate › Are your child's other caregivers vaxed? Do you care?