- topicBaby Namestagged by mamazee, 5/30/13
Popular Group Discussions
All done or more kids? 23 posts | Last post on November 24, 2013 at 2:19 pm
Related Forum Threads
- Who else already has names picked out? Last post on 11/6/13 at 4:59pm in April 2014 Due Date Club
- how about a names thread? Last post on 10/15/13 at 8:08am in March 2014 Due Date Club
- names again :) Last post on 8/31/13 at 6:35pm in September 2013 Due Date Club
- Baby names - what are your favorites? Last post on 9/28/13 at 5:28am in February 2014 Due Date Club
- Do you regret or love the popular baby name (top 5 SSA list) you chose? Last post on 9/29/13 at 6:27am in I'm Pregnant
What I Wish I Knew as a New Mom
Last edited: 8/1/13
- Unique Baby Names: 30 Unusual Suggestions to Spark the ImaginationLast edited: 8/15/13
- Baby Naming 101Last edited: 10/18/12
- The Name Game-post 2Last edited: 3/30/13
- The Name Game-post 1Last edited: 3/30/13
Baby names....anyone brainstorming? - Page 5post #82 of 5423/11/13 at 7:24ampost #83 of 5423/11/13 at 7:33amWe threw out Penelope (nn Pippi) for a girl to DP's mom and she really likes it, too. He's funny and won't "commit" to a name until he feels like he's discussed it exhaustively. I've mostly settled on Jack for a boy, both my grandfathers were named Jack, DP's stepfather (who we adore and will the full time grandpa on his side) is named Jack-so it just seems like how it should be. My son is the III and was named for his dad and great grandfather, so I'd kind of like any other sons to have a family name as well. Plus, with my older kids, and family association in their names was always on their fathers side, so I'd like to honor my family this time around.post #84 of 5423/11/13 at 2:53pmQuote:
That's funny! I don't think it sounds "like a hick" at all. I grew up in rural WV and you can tell him I never knew a Holden, haha.
Jonas is the latest name I'm really excited about.post #85 of 5423/11/13 at 3:02pmpost #86 of 5423/11/13 at 3:07pmQuote:
Thanks! I didn't know until after I mentioned it to my mom, but it was apparently my great grandpa's name (he went by Jack and that's always how I had heard him referred to).post #87 of 5423/11/13 at 3:15pm
We've already agreed on a name for a girl and one for a boy. My fiance is a 5th generation, 3/4 Japanese and 1/4 Chinese. I am mostly Vietnamese with a slight pinch of Chinese and French. Both of us were born and raised here in the SF Bay Area (California).
English is the only language his family speaks and mine is bi-lingual as my parents and family were immigrants. We are planning to have an American (English) first name, Vietnamese middle-name and a his Japanese last name. The baby is going to have an interesting time explaining what he/she is to folks.post #88 of 5423/11/13 at 3:38pmQuote:
Hilarious! I don't think it's hick-ish at all either. By the way, I grew up not far from WV in Northern VA. I have to say, the mountains of WV are one of the most beautiful parts of the country I've seen!post #89 of 5423/11/13 at 3:40pmpost #90 of 5423/11/13 at 8:49pmpost #91 of 5423/12/13 at 2:10ampost #92 of 5423/12/13 at 5:39ampost #93 of 5423/12/13 at 7:10ampost #94 of 5423/12/13 at 7:24ampost #95 of 5423/12/13 at 7:53amSerafina, I love Tegan and Taran! They're on my list as well.
Interesting discussion about naming and ethniticity. I am Slavic, with my entire family being in Europe. So I definitely want to give my baby a name that reflects this heritage. My partner is American. We are thinking about giving it an English first name and a Slavic middle name.
The problem with a lot of Slavic names is that they're hard to impossible to pronounce for Americans. I don't want to substytute too many letters though. Currently looking at the countryside where my parents are from to see if I can find a nicely named river or mountain.post #96 of 5423/12/13 at 9:19ampost #97 of 5423/12/13 at 9:23ampost #98 of 5423/12/13 at 11:43amThread Starter
My DH isn't totally useless when it comes to names, but like what many of you share, his power lies in the veto and he rarely (never) makes suggestions!
Our current lineup for girls are: Penelope (Pippa or Nellie), Beatrix (Trixie), and Vesper for first or middle names, with Faith and Fairlight being considered just for middle names.
Our boy's names lineup is Henry, Miles (Milo), Quillan, Bennett, Graham, Fisher, or Willem.
Question: As previously mentioned, our last name is Smith. Everyone in my family really likes the name Willem as the first name if we had a boy, but I have some reservations about "Will Smith" being my son's nickname. I know he's not the hottest star any more, but do you think this would be an issue for him, or is it just such a basic name that other than the occasional jokes, it'll really not matter?post #99 of 5423/12/13 at 12:38pmQuote:
Wow! Isaac is at the top of our list and I'm feeling boy still so it might just be that.
Lovely name ideas here ladies! But those of you who don't pick till you see the baby-- do you really end up changing it? My DD had black hair when she was born that is more red now, we said we'd name her Zoe if she was a redhead but there was no way to know it would get so light at the time. I wonder if this time around seeing the kid first will make any difference. Names are so hard!post #100 of 5423/12/13 at 3:40pmQuote:Question: As previously mentioned, our last name is Smith. Everyone in my family really likes the name Willem as the first name if we had a boy, but I have some reservations about "Will Smith" being my son's nickname. I know he's not the hottest star any more, but do you think this would be an issue for him, or is it just such a basic name that other than the occasional jokes, it'll really not matter?
It might not be a problem, but I think it would be enough to discourage me.
- Unique Baby Names: 30 Unusual Suggestions to Spark the Imagination
- › Oh please help, toddler drank water from public toilet!! 1 minute ago
- › Belly Bumps- Third Trimester 1 minute ago
- › Breastfeeding and Naps 1 minute ago
- › The Saner TTC and Graduates -- The Beaver Moon 3 minutes ago
- › Pregnancy Symptoms 4 minutes ago
- › Front carrier for newborn? 11 minutes ago
- › What is your word for nursing? 11 minutes ago
- › December Unschooling Thread 12 minutes ago
- › What were you fed? 12 minutes ago
- › Welcome! Introduce yourself! 16 minutes ago
- › Diva Cup Diva Cup #2 Post Childbirth, Cup by Taqah
- › GroVia Cloth All In One - Pudge by Taqah
- › North American Bear Company Rosy Cheeks Baby Tan by Taqah
- › Maya Wrap Lightly Padded Baby Sling by Taqah
- › Bamboletta Doll by sleeping mama
- › Melissa & Doug Cutting Food Box by ahilal
- › Prince Lionheart Whirl Balance Scooter, Natural/Pink by Melanie Mayo
- › Elves and Angels Sylvie's Wood Kitchen by Melanie Mayo
- › Natural Earth Paints Face Paint by Melanie Mayo
- › Glob Greeting Card Collage Kit with Seedpaper by Melanie Mayo
- › To Santa or Not To Santa by JillVettel
- › Three Low Cost Holiday Gifts to Make with Kids by Monica S
- › Mothering with Mental Illness: The Natural... by OliviaHinebaugh
- › A Difficult Conversation by Melanie Mayo
- › Does Motherhood Matter Anymore? by Melanie Mayo
- › Terms and Conditions: Holiday Cards Giveaway... by Cynthia Mosher
- › Mothering's Natural Toy Guide 2013 by Monica S
- › Top 20 Toy Picks for 2013 | Mothering Natural... by Melanie Mayo
- › 21 Toys Under $21 | Mothering Natural Toy... by Melanie Mayo
- › Toys to Splurge On | Mothering Natural Toy... by Melanie Mayo