or Connect
Mothering › Groups › March 2013 Due Date Club › Discussions › So. Much. Pain.

So. Much. Pain.

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 

I just have to complain for a minute. I have debilitating hip pain (possibly arthritis) even before pregnancy so I'm used to the lonely place of chronic pain. I can't complain in real life because "You're the one who keeps getting pregnant". 

Besides that today my hips are all locked up no matter how much I move and walk around, not just where the pain usually is but also where my femur connects to the hip (it's a skeletal pain). My whole back hurts and I have a baseball sized spot on my upper right abdomen that hurts sooo bad. It's been there for weeks. I keep having contractions now too so I just feel like crap!!

So yeah..whine whine whine complain complain complain. :(

post #2 of 26

It's okay to complain!  That sounds really crappy.  Are you able to get any treatment, like acupuncture, massage, physio, or chiro?

post #3 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by spughy View Post

It's okay to complain!  That sounds really crappy.  Are you able to get any treatment, like acupuncture, massage, physio, or chiro?

We have to pay out of pocket so I haven't been but I made a Chiro appt for tomorrow.. I did a forward inversion earlier and baby is suddenly very active so maybe he was in a bad position..
post #4 of 26

Oh Micah, that sounds awful! I hope the baby moving helps, and that your chiropractor does too. hug2.gif

post #5 of 26

((HUGS)) to you. So sorry you're in much pain. Hopefully the adjustment helps. I have very painful hips in pregnancy. Not a day goes by when I'm not in pain.

I totally get it.

post #6 of 26

I really think chiro will help.  I was in so much pain a few weeks ago that I was on the verge of tears any time I had to put shoes or pants on or climb into a car or into bed.  I could hardly move.  I had an adjustment (she used the activator right over my pubic bone) and it helped tremendously!  I still felt "loose" and a bit sore, but the pain was gone!  

 

Hoping that it helps at least a little bit!  It should at least help with the back pain, I'd think!  Please give us an update after your appt and let us know how it went!  

post #7 of 26

I really should give in and go to see a chiro. I had hip pain early on, but it has since turned into pelvic pain which, like Chapsie, has me in tears any time I have to put on shoes or pants, or climb into a car or into bed. It HURTS. (And, of course, a chiro familiar with the Webster technique might also be able to help me get this monster turned back southwards.)

post #8 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabbitdancer View Post

I really should give in and go to see a chiro. I had hip pain early on, but it has since turned into pelvic pain which, like Chapsie, has me in tears any time I have to put on shoes or pants, or climb into a car or into bed. It HURTS. (And, of course, a chiro familiar with the Webster technique might also be able to help me get this monster turned back southwards.)

oh, Cabbit, I so empathize!  I think my pubic bones have finally slipped back out of place and the pain is coming back... But that was well over a month that that one chiropractic adjustment kept it at bay!  I would DEFINITELY try it.  I know a chiropractor can be $$ (I am lucky to have a friend who gives a deep discount) but it is definitely worth it to not be in pain all the time!  ::hug::

post #9 of 26

I was putting my boots on yesterday and pulled all of the round ligaments (at least I think that is what I pulled) around the bottom half of my belly. Yeegads! Pain. Ouch. I feel you, mamas. Add that to the hip pain and I feel like a serious gimp.

post #10 of 26

That does sound awful!  I hope baby shifts for you; that seemed to help my issues!  Also would a heating pad feel nice?  If you have one, it would be free.........  :)

 

~Jen

post #11 of 26
Thread Starter 

Thanks everyone for the kind words, encouragement and empathy. *hugs*

 

The chiro was awesome, I love him. I explained all my issues and he did an exam. He was quite impressed, lol. I have several horrible areas but regarding my hips he says one is curved inwards a bit and I have a lower vertebrae badly out of alignment. He also said I have severely limited mobility in my pelvis and reduced range of motion everywhere. He was able to adjust me a lot. I'm going twice a week between now and when Noah is born and probably 1-2x a week for a while after wards. I'm not sure how we're going to pay for it but you know what? I matter. And my health matters. And my pain matters. So we'll cut it from somewhere.

 

Does anyone know any good yoga poses or general stretches to help open the pelvis and allow mobility?

post #12 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by micah_mae_ View Post
 I'm not sure how we're going to pay for it but you know what? I matter. And my health matters. And my pain matters. So we'll cut it from somewhere.

 

Good for you. Yes, you do matter!!

 


Does anyone know any good yoga poses or general stretches to help open the pelvis and allow mobility?

 

 

Do you need to help with mobility in all directions? I'd start with just the cat-cow moves if so. They feel great, help loosen things up, and help get the baby in good position, can help with digestion, etc. It's like the miracle pose. smile.gif This is a pretty good description: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e_JMOw3QdI. I keep my feet flexed, because that's what we do in my yoga class, and they have more of a tendency to cramp when pointed. 

post #13 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by micah_mae_ View Post

 I'm not sure how we're going to pay for it but you know what? I matter. And my health matters. And my pain matters. So we'll cut it from somewhere.

 

I also think this is AWESOME!  joy.gif

post #14 of 26

I'm glad the chiropractor was able to offer helpful advice.  You may also want to consult with a physical therapist for additional ideas regarding the range of motion, flexibility, etc.  A physical therapist should be able to give you great advice in those areas and give you a "home exercise program" to do on your own.  Even going just once to be evaluated and get a list of things to do at home would probably be very beneficial.  I would just be up front--tell them specifically that you can not afford to come more than once, and you are just looking for ideas of things you can do on your own at home.  It's not weird, I promise.  They won't look at you funny for saying that.  In my area, an evaluation with a physical therapist is usually 60 minutes long and costs around $120.  

post #15 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatechip View Post

 

Good for you. Yes, you do matter!!

 


 

 

Do you need to help with mobility in all directions? I'd start with just the cat-cow moves if so. They feel great, help loosen things up, and help get the baby in good position, can help with digestion, etc. It's like the miracle pose. smile.gif This is a pretty good description: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e_JMOw3QdI. I keep my feet flexed, because that's what we do in my yoga class, and they have more of a tendency to cramp when pointed. 

 

Thanks! I should totally look into a yoga class too.. Like yoga for level -5. ;)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapsie View Post

I also think this is AWESOME!  joy.gif

 

I'm trying to say it out loud to make myself believe it..we are on a very tight budget and I tend to put myself last and feel guilty if I don't. I also feel like others are looking at me shaking their heads because we can barely afford our bills and a chiro seems extravagant..

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnra View Post

I'm glad the chiropractor was able to offer helpful advice.  You may also want to consult with a physical therapist for additional ideas regarding the range of motion, flexibility, etc.  A physical therapist should be able to give you great advice in those areas and give you a "home exercise program" to do on your own.  Even going just once to be evaluated and get a list of things to do at home would probably be very beneficial.  I would just be up front--tell them specifically that you can not afford to come more than once, and you are just looking for ideas of things you can do on your own at home.  It's not weird, I promise.  They won't look at you funny for saying that.  In my area, an evaluation with a physical therapist is usually 60 minutes long and costs around $120.  

 

That's a good idea and honestly I bet I could get a referral to PT pretty easily..

post #16 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by micah_mae_ View Post

 

I'm trying to say it out loud to make myself believe it..we are on a very tight budget and I tend to put myself last and feel guilty if I don't. I also feel like others are looking at me shaking their heads because we can barely afford our bills and a chiro seems extravagant..

 

I switched out of a midwife practice in my first pregnancy to an OB clinic for financial reasons and wound up with a very unsatisfactory birth (c/s with subsequent PPD).  I promised myself after that that I would never make health care choices for myself and my family based solely on finances again.  It isn't worth the pain!  (I know, easier said than done when you are on a tight budget!!!)

post #17 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapsie View Post

I switched out of a midwife practice in my first pregnancy to an OB clinic for financial reasons and wound up with a very unsatisfactory birth (c/s with subsequent PPD).  I promised myself after that that I would never make health care choices for myself and my family based solely on finances again.  It isn't worth the pain!  (I know, easier said than done when you are on a tight budget!!!)

I know you speak truth. *hug* It's really for my families benefit to have me fully functional..

post #18 of 26

Depending on your insurance, you may not even need a referral to see a physical therapist.  I was surprised when I found out that mine didn't require a referral for physical therapy--because they seem to require a referral for everything else.  

post #19 of 26

I'm following this thread closely!!! i thought my hip pain was more or less under control, then like a dork i had to go and show DD how to skateboard yesterday. yeah, that didn't work out so well. my knee is bruised up and i woke up with absolutely unbearable hip pain! i'm thankful (for once) that DH is out of town tonight for work - I'll have the whole bed and all of the pillows to myself, and I plan to make full use of it! and the heating pad!

post #20 of 26

*giggles* Oh, LightForest! That must have been quite a tumble! My daughter keeps asking if we can go roller skating and, since I was skating up until early December with her, it isn't an unusual request. I don't know how well I'd do on skates right now, though! I'd like to say that I'd still manage, but I'm afraid to try!

  Return Home
  Back to Forum: March 2013 Due Date Club
Mothering › Groups › March 2013 Due Date Club › Discussions › So. Much. Pain.