or Connect
Mothering › Groups › March 2013 Due Date Club › Discussions › anyone refusing the GBS test?

anyone refusing the GBS test?

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

My midwives are coming for a home visit tomorrow. I am 37 weeks today. They are planning on doing a gbs test. I was positive with my first homebirth and did some herbal preventative care (with a sitz bottle and essential oils diluted in water.). But my daughter was born in the caul, so it ended up being a non issue.

 

I kind of want to skip the test this time altogether, knowing I wouldn't treat except for some herbal stuff. Has anyone else skipped this test or plan to? 

post #2 of 12

This is optional for my (HB) MWs, though they discuss it thoroughly.  I am actually not declining it, but I may decline IV abx if I am positive, as this is also "okay" with my MWs.  My reasoning is this: as a FTM, I have a greater than average chance of transferring, so I would rather have a result on file than none at all.  The local hospitals will treat untested women not only as positive, but in some cases, worse (running a whole septic workup on the baby with spinal tap, etc.)  And my MWs are fine with a wait-and-see approach if we remain at home.  For example, if your water doesn't break until towards the end of labor, you are birthing in the water (which dilutes GBS), etc., they feel like, no big deal to decline abx.  If you have PROM and you don't do much laboring for 18 hours or more, then maybe they encourage abx.  That sounds reasonable to me, so if I am positive, I will wait and see how labor progresses.

 

FWIW, they don't feel like garlic is very effective, and they don't care for hibiclens, etc., because they feel that it's just as likely to cause flora issues as IV abx and it's irritating.  But just their input.  

post #3 of 12

I'm actually going in today and getting the GBS test.  I'm planning a natural hospital birth (scary!) so I don't want there to be any questions or issues when I get there.  I can only imagine how quickly the anti-biotics would be whipped out if I showed up without having the test done. 

 

If I were having a homebirth I wouldn't get the test, especially if you aren't planning to treat it medically if positive.

post #4 of 12

I got the test Monday and should have the results Friday. My midwife wasn't concerned about me getting the test, she left if up to me, but I wanted to know.  I was positive with DS and got the antibiotics in the hospital.

 

I've been taking Vit. C, echinacea, probiotics and eating more garlic, yogurt and sauerkraut.  If I'm negative, then I'll keep on with the supplements, probiotics and fermented foods. If positive, I will do the hibiclens at some point during labor. Midwife doesn't offer antibiotics, but she is not concerned about it as I plan to give birth in the water.

post #5 of 12

I'm getting tested at my next (37 week) appointment. As buko mentioned, I want to have my test results on file in case baby and/or I transfer from home to the hospital. 

 

I've been eating more yogurt and kefir, and have been forcing down 2 tsp of raw cider vinegar per day on my midwive's recommendation. Am interested in hearing of any other preventative measures that I can maintain through to labor - I figure it doesn't hurt to have healthy flora, right? (My midwife recommends food-based probiotics over supplements... I should really try to hunt down some fermented foods - no time or energy to make them from scratch now in time for them to be useful at birth!)

post #6 of 12

LightForest it only takes a week to ferment most veg.  You could toss together some sauerkraut pretty quickly, or carrot pickles or something.

 

I am also planning a natural hospital birth so I will be doing the test.  I know someone whose baby had a lot of complications from GBS too so that weighs more heavily on my mind.  I realize that it's anecdotal and not statistical evidence but it's a lot harder to decline things when you've seen the more extreme end of the results of skipping treatment.  I'd rather suck up the nasty effects of abx on myself than have a baby in the NICU for a week or more.  BUT I am really, really hoping I am neg (as I was with DD - although I still managed to develop a fever in labour and got IV abx anyway. irked.gif)

post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by spughy View Post

LightForest it only takes a week to ferment most veg.  You could toss together some sauerkraut pretty quickly, or carrot pickles or something.

Really?! I thought it took longer than a week. Will definitely look into doing this. I'm a little timid because fermenty tastes aren't sitting well with me at the moment. Heartburn just kicked in this week and the taste of fermented foods is a bit too similar, if you know what i mean.

post #8 of 12

Like Buko and LightForest, I'm [pretty sure] I'll get the test.  My MW doesn't require it, but if I transfer to a hospital, I'd like to have the results at hand to give them. 

post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightForest View Post

Really?! I thought it took longer than a week. Will definitely look into doing this. I'm a little timid because fermenty tastes aren't sitting well with me at the moment. Heartburn just kicked in this week and the taste of fermented foods is a bit too similar, if you know what i mean.

 

Yeah room temp will usually provide decent pickled anything in about a week.  If your room temp is on the cool side, maaaaybe 9 days.  But go for it, give it a whirl - although I hear you on the flavour not sitting to well - I try to mix kimchee or sauerkraut in with cooked veg, it works better.

post #10 of 12

Just got my results. I tested negative!  I'm so relieved!  I'll just continue with my supplements and fermented foods.  You would think with all this immune support I'm taking (Vit. C, echinecea, eating healthy) I could stay well. But no, I've got another cold! Ugh, so annoying. Hopefully it will clear up in a few days...  irked.gif

post #11 of 12

I got my results, too-- negative.  Really wouldn't have been the WORST thing in the world had I been positive, IMO-- pretty low on the list of "pregnancy complications"-- but definitely nice.

 

FWIW, I did not end up using garlic or anything regularly before the test...  Have been taking probiotics, though.  shrug.gif

post #12 of 12

I was planning to take it. Then I got checked for a yeast infection, and got my test results back that showed I had both that AND was positive for GBS. I didn't even know they both showed up on the same test. I'm considering asking to take the test again at the normal time, in hopes that once I get my body back on track, the GBS will be handled too. And like buko, my midwives don't require treatment if I am positive, though I will probably take the antibiotics since they're intermittent, and in my opinion, the research shows that it does make a significant difference in the baby's likelihood of getting an infection. But I'm still not 100% sure. smile.gif

 

pregnantdrummer and buko, yay for testing negative!

  Return Home
  Back to Forum: March 2013 Due Date Club
Mothering › Groups › March 2013 Due Date Club › Discussions › anyone refusing the GBS test?