Hi there, I have lurked on this site before when seeking fellow mama advice. I need some advise or just some fellow mama encouragement. :) We are trying to make a decision in childcare for my 3.5 year old daughter and I'm really torn and having some second thoughts.
We have been planning to have her start a childcare/school setting this Fall for 2 days a week. We had looked into some childcare options for last fall but decided we weren't ready then. We have found out that one of these places that I LOVE has an opening immediately (last week of Feb) through the end of May but they won't be starting up again in the fall (it is a homebased situation and they are moving out of town for the hubby's job).
We visited there again this week and have been totally ready to have her start there the last week in Feb and just be there 1-2 mornings a week through the end of May. But as I've been reading about transitioning into childcare for the first time and hearing from some other moms, I've been having second thoughts about it. I'm so torn, I love the environment there and I think she is very ready, just really concerned about having a hard transition for such a short time for her to be there, then off the summer, and then we'd have a new school in the fall. It seems like a lot of change for her, especially since this would be her first experience going into a childcare environment. Our alternative is to just wait until the fall when she would enter someplace where she'll stay long term. We are currently looking at places for fall and even if one of these places had an immediate opening, I don't expect that we'd have a decision on a new place for another month--even less time for her to adjust before the end of the school year.
I should also add, that we are considering having her start in the place that's closing because she just seems sooo ready for it, I'm not returning to work or anything. (Though it would be nice for me to have time to get somethings done) We are thinking that since its a home-based, play-based situation that it would be a good start for her. We have even thought that maybe 1 morning a week might be better for her this spring, then 2 days in the fall at the new place. I love the teacher, and my daughter loved it when we visited. I explained to her how I would drop her off and pick her up if she went and she told me she wants me to drop her off next time. She makes new friends easily while we're in new situations.
How long does it take kids this age to adjust to very part time childcare for the first time? Is it worth it to enroll her someplace for 3 months now then start someplace new in the fall? Since she would only be there 1-2 mornings per week, would this make it any easier for her? I'm so torn. Thanks!