or Connect
Mothering › Groups › March 2013 Due Date Club › Discussions › Weekly Chat Thread - Feb 24th to March (!) 2nd

Weekly Chat Thread - Feb 24th to March (!) 2nd - Page 3

post #41 of 164

Buko - I think it's a 95% chance to have a baby by the end of week 42 (only 5% or so come after 42 weeks), about an 75-85% chance of having one by the end of week 41..... Yikes!  I hit 39 weeks on Thursday and I keep thinking, if I go at 41 weeks like I did with DS I'll have a baby in just 2 weeks!! So hard to believe

 

Granolamama - I'm with you! I'm trying to spend some quality time with DS since he's getting ready to have his world rocked, but there are some days when he just drives me crazy!

 

I'm trying not to get frustrated with people at work who are finally commenting, or shooting me funny looks, etc.  Yes, I'm 39 weeks pregnant, yes, I'm STILL working.  One of our secretaries looked at me and said I looked like "I was going to pop."  Thanks... I was sort of still feeling ok until that...

 

DH is getting very anxious to have the baby - he did the same thing with DS, he would talk to my belly each night from about 37 weeks on and tell him to come out already.  (it was another month!) But I've thought from the day I realized I might be pregnant that this is a March baby, so when March 1st gets here Friday, I'm really ready for it to be "any day."

post #42 of 164

Wildmansmom & Granola I'm glad I'm not the only one having a short fuse. I have no idea what was wrong with me, but my DS's have been making me bonkers! Although I was told it was completely legit to not want to have Gangham Style sung and danced to me in my kitchen by my 8 yr. old. Although in retrospect I (on a normal non-preggo induced raging hormone day) would normally think he was being hilarious, so I think that's why I feel bad. I just want to get in a little bit quality time with them before the baby comes and flips the entire house on it's nose. 

post #43 of 164
Quote:
Buko - I think it's a 95% chance to have a baby by the end of week 42 (only 5% or so come after 42 weeks), about an 75-85% chance of having one by the end of week 41..... Yikes!  I hit 39 weeks on Thursday and I keep thinking, if I go at 41 weeks like I did with DS I'll have a baby in just 2 weeks!! So hard to believe

Is it that high "naturally?"  Not that I'm doubting you-- I just don't know.  Nowadays, so few people go past 42, 41.5... 41 is even a bit unusual, with as many women who are induced by 40.5 on the outside.  Wonder if there are any good stats from before the induction epidemic (say, 1970s and earlier)?  

 

I had the worst time falling asleep yesterday.  Lately, I've been sleeping quite nicely-- maybe just 7 hours vs my preferred 8.5-9.5, but falling asleep reasonably quickly and only getting up to pee maybe 1-2x and falling back asleep quickly, too.  But last night, I got in bed at 12:30 and didn't fall asleep until 3:30.  Got up at 8:30 knowing I'm blessed to be able to nap whenever I want today.  

 

My BlissBorn (like HypnoBabies) CDs are awesome for getting me to drift off a bit, but then they end and I'm awake...  I wish I could just stay asleep afterwards.   

post #44 of 164

Oh my, everyone, you're really making me want to swim even more! I will have to make this happen. And also get around to putting my normal gym membership on hold, since I haven't exactly been making use of that the last couple months. orngtongue.gif

 

Scruffy, your Dr. Seuss curtains sound awesome. I'm not so inclined towards having characters (of any sort) on things, but I could see having Dr. Seuss style patterns! And husband snuggles, well, those are awesome and needed and make life easier, for sure. 

 

Cabbit, be careful out there! I feel like it's just so much easier to wrench anything these days... Sometimes I feel like I've pulled something just trying to get off of the couch. Sigh.

 

SlimP, those are definitely some tantalizing nesting urges you're having. So exciting! orngbiggrin.gif

 

Jodie, so happy you are having a wonderful time with the new little one!

 

GranolaMama, I'm sure you're not as unbearable as you think you are. smile.gif I hope you managed to get a good night's sleep, and that things are looking better today!

 

Well, babytoes, it's the 26th. How are you feeling? wink1.gif

 

 

So, between getting the house ready for the baby shower (we had it here, because my friend who was organizing it had just moved), having my cousins in town, having the shower, and attending an Oscars party on Sunday, I definitely overdid it a little bit. Not to the point of feeling awful, however, so I must be learning! Still, I slept for 12 hours Sunday night, and didn't do much of anything yesterday besides walk to the library and grocery store. Today feels like it could be a little more productive, once I get myself off of poking around our DDC threads...

post #45 of 164

So, I took a long, hot shower, had a couple of generic acetaminophen, which I haven't really indulged in too often, and used a hot pack for about a half hour on the worst of the sore spots, last night, and I feel ALMOST normal, today, which makes me happy.

 

My daughter is home from school, today. She peaked a low grade fever last night, so the school insists she stay home. It's so hard when the snuffles and the cough make it difficult for her to fall asleep at night, but then she feels well enough to not WANT to nap all day. But at least she's FEELING fine, despite all the snuffles. It's worse when she doesn't feel well.

 

I find myself wanting my baby to come now, so she can choose her own due date, c-section or no c-section. She's still breech and, while my primary OB has said it won't be an issue until 38 or 39 weeks (I'm 37 +2) the high risk OB and his staff were asking me, today, whether I'd scheduled my c-section yet. And then to be told, yet again, that I ought to be happy that all is well with her. Despite being diabetic, everything is coming up PERFECT. It's so frustrating that breech not only means instant C in this society, but also that a mom is not allowed to go into labor beforehand, unless she goes earlier than 40 weeks. I have to remind myself to be angry at the system and not at the baby who won't turn to fit what the system expects of "normal" birth. I'm hoping that I won't have to have that conversation this week, since my OB will actually be out of the office, but I find myself willing to beg for my daughter's right to choose her birthday, even though I did it last time, to no avail. Graar.

post #46 of 164

I just had my 38 week appt. I feel like emotional dog doo. Short fuse granola and babytoes?? Mine feels like it's permanently lit. I am so unhappy with my house, my husband, my son, my situation in life. I know it's only hormonal stuff but it feels real. I feel like I could burst into tears any minute, all day. I felt emotionally stable for months--BUt it has been this bad since the stupid prodromal labor began. And today a MW I saw questioned me about my weight. "61 pounds? What are you doing?" "Uh, nothing." "Well, how did that happen?" "I don't know." Feeling like shit at this point. "Well, how much did you gain the last time?" "70 lbs. and 50 with the first, but I had him at 38 weeks." "Wow, that's rough."

 

NO f-ing kidding. I certainly don't want to carry around an extra 70 pounds. And for the past month I've let go of trying to control it, stopped counting every calorie and restricting everything I eat and spending so much time and worry and now I feel like a failure. Tears here. I know this is hormonal but it still sucks. And on top of it, I lied when I said I'd try to ignore all of these contractions. How can I? Every time they pick up, I wonder if my water will break or if I'll still be pregnant in a month. And it makes me feel disconnected form feeling them. I can't embrace them because i am always afraid they'll just stop anyway. And they do eventually. 

 

What's worst of all is that I found myself wishing today that something would go wrong, like the baby would flip breech or something, just so I could be done. I daydreamed about inducing labor, getting an epidural, just saying the f*** with it all. I know I would regret it though. But in this hormonal fog, I can't recall why I care so much about natural childbirth.

 

How do you cope with the stress/anxiety of the situation? I feel like the mental exercise of waiting and not knowing what form the labor will take is really overwhelming to me. Maybe it's just my state right now...but it could be a weakness in my personality. 

post #47 of 164

I'm in the EEK category too.  Our section is scheduled for 13 days from now (including most of that day since it's a 5:00 appointment.) so I KNOW we'll have baby in arms by then.  Waiting and patience are definitely NOT my strong suits and I am so antsy for Oliver to get here!  I want baby snuggles and nursing and to see his Daddy holding our miracle baby.  I want as much time as possible before I have to go back to work and if he comes early I get extra time.  I truly want everyone ready and healthy so I'll wait if that's what's necessary but GARGHHHHH!  There are definitely things I could still do before he gets here but we're in the mostly ready we can make it work category.  My BP was high last appointment but I was really angry with my OB's office so they just sort of wrote it off.  However, I've had a headache for 3 days and I can't get rid of it and I'm REALLY fatigued (as in more so than normal).  So, we're on our way to the office for a BP check just to be safe.

post #48 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by writermama12 View Post

I just had my 38 week appt. I feel like emotional dog doo. Short fuse granola and babytoes?? Mine feels like it's permanently lit. I am so unhappy with my house, my husband, my son, my situation in life. I know it's only hormonal stuff but it feels real. I feel like I could burst into tears any minute, all day. I felt emotionally stable for months--BUt it has been this bad since the stupid prodromal labor began. And today a MW I saw questioned me about my weight. "61 pounds? What are you doing?" "Uh, nothing." "Well, how did that happen?" "I don't know." Feeling like shit at this point. "Well, how much did you gain the last time?" "70 lbs. and 50 with the first, but I had him at 38 weeks." "Wow, that's rough."

 

NO f-ing kidding. I certainly don't want to carry around an extra 70 pounds. And for the past month I've let go of trying to control it, stopped counting every calorie and restricting everything I eat and spending so much time and worry and now I feel like a failure. Tears here. I know this is hormonal but it still sucks. And on top of it, I lied when I said I'd try to ignore all of these contractions. How can I? Every time they pick up, I wonder if my water will break or if I'll still be pregnant in a month. And it makes me feel disconnected form feeling them. I can't embrace them because i am always afraid they'll just stop anyway. And they do eventually. 

 

What's worst of all is that I found myself wishing today that something would go wrong, like the baby would flip breech or something, just so I could be done. I daydreamed about inducing labor, getting an epidural, just saying the f*** with it all. I know I would regret it though. But in this hormonal fog, I can't recall why I care so much about natural childbirth.

 

How do you cope with the stress/anxiety of the situation? I feel like the mental exercise of waiting and not knowing what form the labor will take is really overwhelming to me. Maybe it's just my state right now...but it could be a weakness in my personality. 

 

 

What an ignorant, insensitive nurse!!!!  I'm right there with you honey.  We did elect a for a section because baby is still breech and because of my septum and a variety of other reasons.  While I hate it, at the same time it brings me some comfort because I KNOW that I WILL be done by point X, kwim?  Prodromal labor is driving me positively batty because I never know if it's the real thing.  BIG BIG hugs Writermama!!!  I have no advice on how to cope because I haven't figured it out but lots of sympathy over here!

post #49 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabbitdancer View Post

So, I took a long, hot shower, had a couple of generic acetaminophen, which I haven't really indulged in too often, and used a hot pack for about a half hour on the worst of the sore spots, last night, and I feel ALMOST normal, today, which makes me happy.

 

My daughter is home from school, today. She peaked a low grade fever last night, so the school insists she stay home. It's so hard when the snuffles and the cough make it difficult for her to fall asleep at night, but then she feels well enough to not WANT to nap all day. But at least she's FEELING fine, despite all the snuffles. It's worse when she doesn't feel well.

 

I find myself wanting my baby to come now, so she can choose her own due date, c-section or no c-section. She's still breech and, while my primary OB has said it won't be an issue until 38 or 39 weeks (I'm 37 +2) the high risk OB and his staff were asking me, today, whether I'd scheduled my c-section yet. And then to be told, yet again, that I ought to be happy that all is well with her. Despite being diabetic, everything is coming up PERFECT. It's so frustrating that breech not only means instant C in this society, but also that a mom is not allowed to go into labor beforehand, unless she goes earlier than 40 weeks. I have to remind myself to be angry at the system and not at the baby who won't turn to fit what the system expects of "normal" birth. I'm hoping that I won't have to have that conversation this week, since my OB will actually be out of the office, but I find myself willing to beg for my daughter's right to choose her birthday, even though I did it last time, to no avail. Graar.

 

 

I'm glad you're feeling semi normal mama!  I hope your DD feels better soon.  I understand exactly how you feel about baby just coming on already so they can pick their birthdays!!!  Lots of hugs for you too!

post #50 of 164
Jodie, you asked what a Bento box was and I forgot to answer. As far as I am aware, it's a Japanese thing, though they're becoming really popular for school lunches. A Bento box is basically a box that is split into sections and each section has a little bit of something different. I was given miso soup, a sampling of tempura, six honest-to-goodness bite sized pieces of California rolls (my favorite!!) A small salad, something called chicken tero, and a small serving of rice. Yum!
post #51 of 164

Just piping in to say that on this day, two days from 38 weeks pregnancy, I have two emotions: supremely annoyed or on the edge of crying. 

 

That is all. 

 

xox to all of you

post #52 of 164

WriterMama- I wonder what kind of information the MW thought she was going to get from you by asking those questions? I just want to offer you big hugs. I have been having contractions for about 8 weeks that have, obviously, so far led to nowhere. It sure makes me FEEL like this baby will come early (I am 37 + 5) but I know this could go on and on... and on.

I have had a hard time with back pain, so bad that I am definitely wishing for something stronger than tylenol, which of course my midwives will not prescribe, then I start panicking about what if this baby breaks my tailbone the same way DS did and I end up questioning the homebirth plan simply because I fear that my pain control needs (postpartum) cannot be met by my midwives.  This is my particular struggle, fear of pain.

 

I am definitely trying to work through it, and trying to be aware that my thoughts are literally causing me more suffering than the actual pain I am experiencing, since my thoughts can just take off and I start sort of "looping". Just hard to get myself in check....

post #53 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by writermama12 View Post

 

What's worst of all is that I found myself wishing today that something would go wrong, like the baby would flip breech or something, just so I could be done. I daydreamed about inducing labor, getting an epidural, just saying the f*** with it all. I know I would regret it though. But in this hormonal fog, I can't recall why I care so much about natural childbirth.

 

How do you cope with the stress/anxiety of the situation? I feel like the mental exercise of waiting and not knowing what form the labor will take is really overwhelming to me. Maybe it's just my state right now...but it could be a weakness in my personality. 

Writermama, don't think of it as a *weakness* in your personality.  It may well be a facet - and patience may be a "virtue" - but impatience gets sh*t done, y'know?  Just because you have no control over this event - and that bothers you - doesn't mean your personality is flawed.  It means you want to be able to guide events more than you can in this instance.  If you indulge in more nesting/prep stuff, you might feel better, but don't beat yourself up unnecessarily (unless that sort of thing turns your crank, in which case have at 'er.  I hear hair shirts and self-flagellation are safe during pregnancy.)

 

But I am SO WITH YOU on the impatience.  I want this critter OUT of me.  I am 37 weeks tomorrow but my midwife is away until Saturday - which frankly I don't care that much about, as I actually get along better with the backup midwife.  She's fun, I like her.  My midwife is totally competent and I trust her completely, but her sense of humour isn't quite so well aligned with mine.  (This morning I had an appointment and the backup midwife gave me the swab to do the GBS test, and I said "Oh, here's my fun times for today" and she came right back with "yep, you're peaking early this morning".  Plus she has awesome shoes.)

 

Anyway, baby is in exactly the same position as last week doing exactly the same things and measuring exactly the same and my weight hasn't changed and my blood pressure is good and yada yada yada so there is no reason to expect anything exciting to happen anytime soon.  Poop. 

post #54 of 164
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by spughy View Post

 Plus she has awesome shoes.

lol.gif I totally love u spugh!!!

post #55 of 164
Writinglove and Raingarden - right there with you.

Writermama, Spughy. Is absolutely right. Spughy. You are my comic relief for this pregnancy. Seriously. You are constantly making me giggle.

AFM I went in to have my BP checked as I mentioned earlier. They did the urine dip and took my BP which is how every appointment starts. I didn't think I would see the OB today since it wasn't a regular appointment. In walks the OB and the nurse didn't say anything really. The OB asked me how I was feeling and I said, "Absolutely done. Baby can come on out whenever he is ready!" She suggested a cervical check since last tome I was starting to dilate. And I consented. I have a vaginal septum that makes checks rather painful and sometimes impossible. She started the check and announced she was going to sweep my membranes. Being as it was my OB I assumed she felt a reason to do so (like I was already rather favorable Kr some such) but OMG that was rather excruciating! She tried for several minutes but then stopped before completion because it was hurting so much. She suggested I come back at 6:00am for induction. RED FLAG. I'm only 37w4days and have a breech baby. I told her as lovely as that would be, I'm a section due to breech baby. I also mentioned how fad I am which shocked her. It seems she looked at the wrong chart (as my BP check had presumably taken someone's cancelldd appointment.) and thought I was 39 weeks! So, I've now had a partial membrane sweep and feel rather crampy. Sh!t just got real. Reality has hit that I really and truly COULD go into labor at any point now. 0.o.
post #56 of 164

Oh geeze granola! How utterly unprofessional! How hard is it to make sure you have the right flipping chart! Like I don't know, say hi "Jane" how are you? oh, you're not Jane, oh my goodness... Blech. Sorry :(

post #57 of 164
Normally my OB rocks so I was seriously shocked! I know people make mistakes and this could have potentially been a massive one but I still trust her which J's what is important. Just sent a reality check through my system.
post #58 of 164

Buko - Just reporting what I've read.  I think the highest percent of babies are actually born between 40 and 41 weeks, but they give it to you in a 39-41 range. I'm sure there are some early induction and c-sections playing into that number (for the last 20-30 years).

 

Writermama - *hugs* sorry you had such an inconsiderate nurse.  Sometimes people just gain a lot of weight... I've been really pleased that I haven't tipped the 50lb mark this pregnancy but my midwife always shrugged it off when I brought it up.

 

Granolamama - WOW! Hoping your LO sticks in there a little longer!
 

post #59 of 164
I sometimes wonder if spughy is a hired comedian for our DDC, here to brighten up our days, make the darkness a little brighter, a rainbow during the rain lol.gif She is a delight, i always laugh at her posts, i wish she lived next door to me, i'd stop by every day for my daily dose of laughter and good times :-D. Thank you, spughy!!

Writermama--thats horrible of her to say "what are you doing? How did that happen?" Thats so rude greensad.gif. Some women just naturally gain more weight than average while pregnant, which sounds like is the case with you. I gained almost 60 pounds last time and i ate pretty healthy, my body just wanted the extra weight, it felt right at the time and it didnt take too long to lose it all. If someone had said that to me i would have been so pissed off.

Here's some birth statistics i found:
Before 37 weeks--4%
37 weeks--5%
38-39 weeks--10%
39-40 weeks--20%
40-41 weeks--35%
41-42 weeks--20%
42+ weeks--10%

I'm not sure why the percentages dont add up to 100 but here's the source if anyone is interested: http://www.transitiontoparenthood.com/ttp/birthed/duedatespaper.htm
post #60 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinelove View Post

I sometimes wonder if spughy is a hired comedian for our DDC, here to brighten up our days, make the darkness a little brighter, a rainbow during the rain lol.gif She is a delight, i always laugh at her posts, i wish he lived next door to me, i'd stop by every day for my daily dose of laughter and good times :-D. Thank you, spughy!!

 

 

 

yeahthat.gif

  Return Home
  Back to Forum: March 2013 Due Date Club
Mothering › Groups › March 2013 Due Date Club › Discussions › Weekly Chat Thread - Feb 24th to March (!) 2nd