My husband had strep really bad about 4 weeks ago, we thought we all were safe and neither me or the kids got it. But I think Texas is just known very badly for strep and little ones because it very well seems my three year old has strep. He has had three days of fevers, he has what we thought was a huge canker sore at first on his tongue, we thought that was the culprit for his pain in his mouth but now it seems when we can even get him to swallow he actually starts crying after the swallow. Between no food, maybe 8 oz of water a day I am a little concerned and thinking about treating it. I have been trying to treat it at home but he won't eat or drink anything, he spits EVERYTHING out. I can barely get vit in him, he just spit out the liquid vit d I gave him a min ago. The only thing that has stopped me now, is the first night he did not sleep at all, literally not twenty minutes but last night he was only up 5 times in a 11 hour time... I don't know if its because he is feeling slightly better or if he was exhausted from the night before... I really don't want him on antibiotics he has NEVER had them and strep is so so common here that I really want him to have an immunity to it.
- categoryHealth Healing
Related Forum Threads
- whats the best elderberry syrup brand? Last post on Yesterday at 6:11 pm in Health and Healing
- Random nighttime vomiting + swollen, puffy face/abdomen in 11-year-old Last post on Yesterday at 6:42 am in Health and Healing
- Does anyone have AVIVA ROMM'S respiratory immune tonic recipe? Last post on Yesterday at 7:17 am in Health and Healing
- Orthokeratology for Children Last post on 5/19/13 at 10:52pm in Health and Healing
- Fevers: Is it normal for my dd to get fevers within 3 weeks of each other? Last post on 5/20/13 at 10:14am in Health and Healing
To treat or not treat 3 year Strep Throat
Most of the reason people use abx for strep is because it's contagious for a couple of weeks after you get it, but once you're on abx for 24 hrs it's no longer contagious.
My kids both got strep a couple of years ago, by the time I realized what it was, the sore throats were just about gone and they were eating again (it's pretty painful, i did choose to treat that with ibuprofen, otherwise they wouldn't eat) and I didn't bother with abx. The illness really only lasted about a week. I did, however, keep them at home for 2-3 weeks because I didn't want to share our illness with others.
In order to know if it is strep, you need a culture done. Also, you cannot develop immunity to strep throat, so it does not seem that you are doing the child any favors by avoiding treatment.
If it is strep and you don't treat it, you may run the risk of the child becoming seriously ill with rheumatic fever or a kidney complication: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001663/
Antibiotics are sometimes necessary, even if you or I may wish to avoid them as much as possible.
Yea, I can't even get him to take some advil.... I don't even know if I could force down some antibiotics he is being pretty stubborn. I guess my concern is the three day fever :/ Isn't there still a chance for RH even if they are treated with antibiotics? I thought I read somewhere like the chance is 2-3% without antibiotic and 1-2% with, so its not a huge difference. I am going to bring him to the dr tomorrow, would prefer to skip an urgent care visit. If I was going to treat naturally what are some things I should grab him? I was going to pick up belladonna for the fever and then some grape seed extract....
Have you tried popcicles or sorbet?
If you can get a hold of Dr. Mendelsohn's book 'How to Raise a Healthy Child; he has an excellent chapter on Strep.
Strep, Cox Sackie and Oral Herpes infections have similar symptoms.
Good luck and I hope your child recovers quickly.
I also think strep is one to treat with antibiotics due to the risk of complications. If you can't get him to take oral antibiotics, the doctor could give give it to him via injection.
But yeah, you really can't know that it's strep without a culture. A lot of sore throats are viral and produce similar symptoms to what you're describing.
As far as home treatment while you're waiting to get into the doctor... popsicles, ice cream, tea with honey & ginger, raw garlic if he'll eat it, pudding... If you can't get him to take ibuprofen you could try mixing it into ice cream or honey or juice to make it more palatable. They also have quick-melting pain relievers for kids that he might take more readily.
If you do end up going the abx route, give probiotics along with it and continue them for a week or two after stopping the abx. One of the biggest risks of abx is developing a resistance, but the resistance is only a problem when you can't treat something you need to treat... and this is one of those times (if it is indeed strep) that you'd want to treat. Does that make sense? They are not evil in & of themselves, just very much overused & misused. Using them for strep would not be a misuse of them.
- To treat or not treat 3 year Strep Throat
- › ~~~~2013 Low Income Support Thread~~~~ 46 seconds ago
- › 40 week roll call! 10 minutes ago
- › "A Nation of Wimps" 10 minutes ago
- › May the road rise up to meet you, Dingoes everywhere! 10 minutes ago
- › 8 week Healthy Weight Loss Challenge version 9.0 (enrolling through... 11 minutes ago
- › genetic testing 19 minutes ago
- › Best (or worst) comments made so far? 22 minutes ago
- › Asthma and seasonal allergies 25 minutes ago
- › No Fooling! 8 week Healthy Weight Loss Challenge version 8.0... 31 minutes ago
- › Boys vs. girls 32 minutes ago
- › The First Years Breastflow BPA Free Bottle, 5 Ounce by KaliShanti
- › Simple Wishes Hands-Free Breastpump Bra, XS/S/M by KaliShanti
- › Seal N Go Breast Milk Freezer Disposable Liners - 25 / Pack by KaliShanti
- › Medela Quick Clean Micro-Steam Bags by KaliShanti
- › Lansinoh 20435 Breastmilk Storage Bags, 25-Count Boxes (Pack of 3) by KaliShanti
- › Medela Pump and Save Storage Bags- 20-count by KaliShanti
- › Philips AVENT ISIS Manual Breast Pump, White by KaliShanti
- › Ameda Purely Yours Ultra Breast Pump by KaliShanti
- › Philips AVENT BPA Free Natural Polypropylene Bottles by KaliShanti
- › Gilligan & O'Malley® Womens Full Sling Long Nursing Tank by KaliShanti
- › My Heart Growing Fonder by VKHarberRYT
- › Happy Simple Baby Love by Melanie Mayo
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer... by Melanie Mayo
- › Relax. Parenting Is Supposed to Be Messy,... by Brian Leaf
- › Managing Mom Stress: Sharing Tips and Trying... by Melanie Mayo
- › Who Wants to Sleep Alone? by Cynthia Mosher
- › Should I Train My Child....Like a Dog?! by Sarah Clark
- › Mothering Articles by Melanie Mayo