or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › Family Safety › Which low backed booster seat do you love?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Which low backed booster seat do you love?

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

For the first time ever I am looking for a low backed booster seat for my almost 7 year old. He is a sturdy boy and very tall. In May we are expecting baby #3 and we are having to purchase three new seats to fit the backseat of my Toyota Camry. So, I want a good low backed booster, but width is an issue. It has to fit my kid but also has to fit with two other seats! 

 

Thanks for your suggestions. 

post #2 of 11

What other seats are you considering?  If you can also get narrow seats for the other two, you'll have more leway.

 

What are the height/weight stats of your two kids?  Do all three positions of the camry have shoulder belts and headrests (or at least the one your oldest will be using)?

 

You mentioned he is "sturdy" so that would be my only concern with finding a narrow booster. The narrowest booster I know of is the bubblebum, but that is an inflatable booster and most people don't use it for an everyday seat (backup or send to school, or extra for carpools). 

 

Bubblebum http://www.amazon.com/BubbleBum-Inflatable-Portable-Booster-Purple/dp/B003GQ0LQ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361899884&sr=8-1&keywords=bubblebum

 

Here is a spreadsheet with the booster measurements.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvfUm4x64h3AdEh6WWV0V1NVM05aS0ozMHZQT19nTVE&hl=en#gid=0

 

That said, when you're talking about puzzling seats together, the measurements don't always tell you everything!  Especially with your son being "sturdy" I think you'll want to try him out in some to make sure they are comfortable.

 

Good luck!

post #3 of 11

There are all kinds of options out there, but we chose the BubbleBum as it's the most narrow, only 13" across.  We use this as our everyday, dedicated booster seat and it's worked out great.  Our son thinks it's more comfortable than the other "hard" seat we tried.  With the BubbleBum, he's able to buckle the seatbelt easily because there's more room to do so.

 

Also, the BubbleBum does an excellent job with belt positioning, which is the whole point of a booster seat.  It's a Best Bet Booster by the IIHS.

 

Hope this helps and Good Luck!

post #4 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:

 

You mentioned he is "sturdy" so that would be my only concern with finding a narrow booster. The narrowest booster I know of is the bubblebum, but that is an inflatable booster and most people don't use it for an everyday seat (backup or send to school, or extra for carpools). 

 

 

He is sturdy, but slender. He is six, but looks at least 7. I think he is tall and strong but still thin enough for this booster. I think I am going to try it out!

post #5 of 11

The harmony backless boosters are decently narrow.  They are cheaper than the bubble bum and don't expire for 6 years (as opposed to 4 for the bb).

post #6 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DahliaRW View Post

The harmony backless boosters are decently narrow.  They are cheaper than the bubble bum and don't expire for 6 years (as opposed to 4 for the bb).

The reviews say that it is sort of wide....

post #7 of 11

There are a few different Harmony boosters.  The Cruz and the Youth Booster are relatively narrow and more comfortable and easy to use than the Bubblebum.

post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post

There are a few different Harmony boosters.  The Cruz and the Youth Booster are relatively narrow and more comfortable and easy to use than the Bubblebum.

I haev a literider, but I think they renamed it.

post #9 of 11
My clek is very narrow.
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DahliaRW View Post

I haev a literider, but I think they renamed it.


Literider is now Youth Booster.

post #11 of 11

A lot of people are talking about the new Graco Connext which is about $18 at Walmart. It's being used successfully in some tight 3-across situations. It's worth looking into.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Family Safety
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › Family Safety › Which low backed booster seat do you love?