Does anyone want to share any tips/things they've learned/do different/ must haves for cloth diapering? I'm always looking for improvments. :
- I bought XS, SMALL AND MEDIUM FB(fuzzi bunz). I bought them from http://www.fuzzibunzstore.com/ . They had the best price, free shipping and 5% cash back on your account to spend on your next purchase.
- To store my dirty diapers I got http://www.fuzzibunzstore.com/proddetail.php?prod=6278 to use in the diaper bag and http://www.fuzzibunzstore.com/proddetail.php?prod=HANPAIL to keep downstairs and in her room . I reuse these bags several times before I have to wash them. Once they get smelly I wash them and you just turn them inside out and wash them along with the diapers.I got several of each bag just to have extras. You can also find them on sale sometimes at http://www.clothdiapersinc.com/CLEARANCE!_16_cat.html . This website is owned by the same company that owns the FB store so you can use your rewards at this website also.
-I loved the XS FB however, they only fit our baby for 4 weeks- her legs became too chunky even though she was a skinny baby. A different option for cloth diapering a newborn would be to use prefolds and covers. I was really against prefolds when I decided to do cloth diapering because I thought they would be not as convenient as FB, however I was wrong. They are just as easy as the FB. I bought 17 prefolds and 2 covers. I wanted to cloth diaper her from day 1 and I was worried I would not be able to get that icky newborn poop out of her FB. I read that you could get it out of the prefolds since they are just cotton. We used prefolds only for the first week of her life. I would use these randomly after the first week if I ran out of FB. She grew out of the prefolds at about 7-8 weeks. The prefolds I found to be most absorbent are http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/diapers.htm and we got them in the newborn size. We then bought 2 XS thirsties covers fromhttp://www.cottonbabies.com/product_info.php?cPath=36&products_id=1610 (free shipping!) . We would use the same cover for several days and then wash it and use the other one. The prefold were absorbent enough that nothing ever leaked through it so the cover never got wet. We did have baby wipes to use to wipe of the covers if something did leak through but we never had that problem. We used a snappi with the prefolds and it was extremely easy.
- Baby was in the small FB at 5 weeks and could have fit into it sooner, although it would have been a bit bulky.
- Now as I write this baby is 5 months and will be going into the mediums next week.
- I choose perfect size instead of onesize because I felt that the diapers wouldn't get used as much and could last through multiple children.
- I have 33 FB in each size and then 12-17 prefolds in size newborn,small & med that I use also. I have actually gone to using the prefolds at home and when they are all dirty or I'm out in public I use my FB. I'd like to try some fitted workhorse prefolds for the next baby, although they are $$.
-My favorite cloth diaper safe diaper cream is earth mama angel baby bottom balm.