Thank you soooooo much N and Katie. Here's my list of what I think I need to buy... would you recommend any more or less of any of the quantities, or any items I'm forgetting? I want to make sure we're all set for when I come home from the hospital.
I'm feeling much more zen now. Thank you again for your advice!
- 10 NB size side snap shirts / onesies - this should be more than enough, even if you have a spitter. Have a variety of long and short sleeves
- 4-6 NB size footed pants - I only ever had about 3 pairs of pants at the most. In the first weeks, babe wore a long sleeved t-shirt, a diaper, and was wrapped in a blanket. No pants...even in winter. They were mostly on me (literally) so warm enough, and it made changing diapers every 1-2 hours much easier.
- 4-6 One piece foooted snap down outfits - love these for day or night - especially if there were visitors holding babe.
- 8 NB size nightgowns - personally never liked them because of how they were always bunching up. some people love them though.
- 2 sleep sacks - We either co-slept or swaddled in the beginning and didn't use these until babe was in their own sleep space - after 3-4 months or so. Used them a ton after that.
- Blankets for swaddling - Under the Nile has a 2 pack of stretchy jersey blankets that we loved for swaddling. Also, the waffle weave ones work great. The Miracle Blanket saved our lives!!!
- Nursing nightgown - I loved a lightweight robe with only a nursing bra underneath for at home. Easy to open and do skin to skin without a ton of fabric in the way.
- 1 nursing bra now, 2 later once my milk comes in
- 1 box disposable pads - I would start with this and see if you continue to need them. I was another one that never leaked beyond the engorgement stage. I have 2 sets of wool (Lana something or other brand) pads that are naturally antimicrobial and only need a rinse occassionally...they are so nice and comfortable, but maybe not the the best option for summer.
- 4 washable pads
- Boppy or brest friend - I am in the boppy camp. Preference seems to depend a lot on a woman's body shape/breast size. I am slim and small chested, with a long torso, fwiw.
Add ons: at least 6-12 prefolds/burp cloths, some kind of head covering if you are going to be out and about (hat or bonnet type thing)
pumping stuff: lanolin, breastmilk storage bags (I like lansinoh)