or Connect
Mothering › Groups › July 2013 Due Date Club › Discussions › postpartum bleeding&wetness

postpartum bleeding&wetness

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
I was going to post this the worrying about money thread but I'm trying not to think about that tonite, trying very hard. Now i am up for a late night again, feeling like the popular thread starter. I am thinking about how much to budget in for postpartum bleeding needs since it all seems to vary somuch . so I guess you have to plan for bleeding longer so you're prepared?(= more money? Sorry, i cant help frame things this way right now). I researched some mothers on here using prefolds for it, some it works for some it shifts too much. I guess i just have to try it myself. I was thinking of buying a big one from a cloth pad place but it sounds like you would need a lot so i dont know. Maybe youd need 4, one every 12 hours for 2 days, thats looking at lunapads with inserts, already $280. That comes with another smaller size too though, so maybe 1/2 that for just the big one. The woman on the phone kept saying if i didnt bleed a lot at whatever point i wouldnt want to walk around in a big one though. What i think this post is really about actually is how upset i am about that conversation, i am trying to let it go. Her comments upset me so much, or maybe i just felt confused about what to do. Then i researched a little about intense postpartum bleeding experiences. If i end up getting any gifts, i think something like this could be close to a priority item?. I cant tolerate plastic pads at all, even organic disposables are so sweaty& i am afriad of having herpes outbreaks from the dampness greensad.gif. Now i think i need these. Will just a couple be better than none? Why not? Just more washing right? I hear about depends from plastic sensitive people who just say the bleeding is so much. Well, what do the experienced mamas have to say?& What do you sleep on to prevent leaks? Thats another whole question, for me, the breathability concerns are the same. I am just so sensitive to outbreaks. Then, i also think of leaky breast milk prevention methods. But i am going to leave it here &go back to bed. Thanks for letting me share my worries again, i know i need to toughen up, it just feels like one thing after another as i anticipate 3rd trimester&want all my bases covered. No more surprises!if thats possible.
post #2 of 11
Is hard to say what you will need. Everyone is different. Personally, I bleed like a heavy period for two days or so and then spot for 2 weeks. So I've always just used my regular stuff. I wouldn't spend 280$ on pads. That seems over the top to me. Lunapads are expensive. Check out etsy. There are lots on there for much cheaper. I have... I don't know... 10 maybe? I won't buy more... I just adjust my washing accordingly.
post #3 of 11

Yeah, look into less expensive pads. Get some heavy and some regular to start out. With my last 3 babies I bleed a lot for like 2 days after birth and then it was like a regular period for a week after that and then a light to medium for a week or 2 more. But, it really varies from woman to woman. I plan on using adult diapers the first 12-24 hrs depending how heavy I'm bleeding. I don't like disposable type materials much either, but I figure you gotta do what you gotta do unless you are allergic? 

 

I think 12 heavy/overnight pads would be good for postpartum personally. And then like 12 regular pads. I really like imse vimse brand, but I haven't seen them in stock. 

post #4 of 11
My friend made pads for me and I know they weren't anywhere near $280. I am thinking closer to $80. Check Etsy or I can let you know my friend's info. You would probably be able to make them yourself if you have or can borrow a sewing machine. I cant imagine making diapers but pads look much easier.
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by here we are View Post

 The woman on the phone kept saying if i didnt bleed a lot at whatever point i wouldnt want to walk around in a big one though. What i think this post is really about actually is how upset i am about that conversation, i am trying to let it go. Her comments upset me so much, or maybe i just felt confused about what to do. 

I'm curious why did her comments upset you? did she say more than just that you wouldn't want a large pad? 

post #6 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyitskalista View Post

Is hard to say what you will need. Everyone is different. Personally, I bleed like a heavy period for two days or so and then spot for 2 weeks. So I've always just used my regular stuff. I wouldn't spend 280$ on pads. That seems over the top to me. Lunapads are expensive. Check out etsy. There are lots on there for much cheaper. I have... I don't know... 10 maybe? I won't buy more... I just adjust my washing accordingly.
I have been meaning to look into esty, i have only been online for almost a year so email is still new to me. So maybe expensive isnt necessarily better, not that is in general, i just fear leaking&i only know disposables. With endometriosis, i bled thru a big overnight pad every few hours, so maybe just thinking about bleeding again is what got me overwhelmed. She was saying about how to tell what the pp period might be luke according to that, but i am hoping to be healed from endo , as sometimes pregnancy can do, so i felt so unable to guess.Kalista, &those who have been thru this more than once-is it always the same pp for you, every time? Or is it all differerent all around? Some people dont even have the gooey clots? Those are familiar to me a little with endo but dont usually come out in my pants. ..Thanks for listening again, i feel so bonded to you all smile.gif
post #7 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayiscoming2006 View Post

Yeah, look into less expensive pads. Get some heavy and some regular to start out. With my last 3 babies I bleed a lot for like 2 days after birth and then it was like a regular period for a week after that and then a light to medium for a week or 2 more. But, it really varies from woman to woman. I plan on using adult diapers the first 12-24 hrs depending how heavy I'm bleeding. I don't like disposable type materials much either, but I figure you gotta do what you gotta do unless you are allergic? 

I think 12 heavy/overnight pads would be good for postpartum personally. And then like 12 regular pads. I really like imse vimse brand, but I haven't seen them in stock. 
I am not exactly allergic but super sensitive, maybe it is allergic? You got me thinking if i have to, maybe stuff prefold.inside a hospital diaper. I wonder what heavy bleeding is like person to person,maybe that varies too?
post #8 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbownurse View Post

I'm curious why did her comments upset you? did she say more than just that you wouldn't want a large pad? 
I think it was just the whole conversation... I feel like it's hard to explain without going over the whole thing.. maybe just her not being able to define for me what I might need or me fearing the cost of changing the insert so many times& thinking of all that blood.. emotionally I feel really fragile and unable to understand most people , so in the moment I often don't ask for clarification because I feel like I'm being too emotional.
post #9 of 11
Thread Starter 
What do people use for sleeping on? I usually have a leak or two with my period& sleep on a thick towel. I wonder if I need more than that.. I want to prevent leaks on my bed all around, or wherever I am sitting or nursing, especially in summer with all the humidity. I know the Luna pads had a layer of nylon in them, which might not be much worse than the plastic backing disposables or whatever that glue is, maybe its just necessary. But for sleeping on it might feel stickier, i can see nursing on something like that &putting it up to dry &reusing..i guess i imagining leaks or spitting up... that reminds me I need to start an inverted nipples thread..
post #10 of 11
My bleeding has gotten lighter with each baby. My last baby was very, light but I spotted for a lot longer. I did have more clots with my last as well.

For sleeping on- we have "birth" sheets that we put on the bed at 37 weeks and they stay on until bleeding stops. They're ugly and I don't care if they get stained. We keep a plastic sheet underneath to protect the mattress. And there's usually a towel under me and baby because we get wet from nursing.

Try not to read too much into it all. You will figure it out as it comes. There's lots of trial and error in this parenting gig! wink1.gif
post #11 of 11

i was using towels last time for all the mess nursing created-- i didn't bleed that much. but the towels got hot and just not waterproof enough. so, i went to babies r us and got a waterproof flat mattress pad. i ended up going back and getting several. they have been really helpful.

 

also, for around the birth we kept very old sheets that we don't care about--and last time we had plastic covering all the mattress for the last 3 weeks or so in case my water broke early or in case i wanted to be in bed to birth, i'm not sure if we'll do that again or not. but it's a great idea even if the plastic is a little annoying. 

  Return Home
  Back to Forum: July 2013 Due Date Club
Mothering › Groups › July 2013 Due Date Club › Discussions › postpartum bleeding&wetness