I'm sorry - I didn't realize that this was a divorce situation. As much of a jerk as Dad is being, your hands are kind of tied. I know you know that... I've had to deal with power struggles between both of my kids and their Dad. I agree with the advice regarding trying to find headphones that she will be comfortable wearing. I would encourage counseling for her... Both for her to learn how to deal with her Dad, and hopefully get Dad to participate. My ex is at a distance, and was not willing to participate in counseling anyway - even by phone. And it has greatly affected their relationship. Greatly. To give you an idea? Today is my girl's 19th birthday. They haven't spoken in over 4 years. Today? Will be no different. Except for the fact that I will not be there through the tears.
- topicPre Teens
Related Forum Threads
- More than 50% of the time, Rude, Moody, Mean ELEVEN Year old Girl. Last post on Today at 7:22 am in Preteens and Teens
- At what age are children allowed to make their own decisions? Last post on Yesterday at 8:47 am in Preteens and Teens
- My best friends daughter is really mean to my daughter for years Last post on Today at 12:35 am in Preteens and Teens
- How to keep from crying Last post on 5/6/13 at 4:35pm in Preteens and Teens
- Teaching table manners to a 12-year-old Last post on Yesterday at 12:03 pm in Preteens and Teens
Five Tips for Helping Tweens (Re)Discover Pleasure Reading
Edited on 4/18/13
- Baby, baby, baby ohhEdited on 3/30/13
- Baby, baby, baby ohh
when they play music you dont like... - Page 2
linda no you are not beating the horse dead. i just didnt give you the full info. these are not cheapy headphones. they are not bose but they are 150 bucks headphones. this is her 4th pair.
but its more than headphones really. its more not having the right to play her music.
things are not that dark. earlier he used to only allow her movies he thought was appropriate. which is not a bad thing if he had any clues of what she likes. he gets her with reading and playing instruments. but not with some other things. we had a situation earlier which made him rethink his movies ban and so even though he does not approve of Sherlock he allows her to watch them.
and yes whatsnextmom you are absolutely right. it will affect their relationship. she wants to do more things at my place where most of her friends are and he is having a hard time with that. puberty and hormones are really making life hard for her so i am being gentle with her. which means going over wherever she needs to emotionally. and her dad cant see why she should change her mind about who she chooses to stay with.
One_girl dd likes listening to her music when doing her hw. which is in the evening right before bedtime. i think its emotions workout for her. she 'screams' internally with the music. so what she does is she listens to the music then takes a shower and reads in bed. the shower and reading calm her down. sometimes i have soothing water music for her to help her fall asleep.
anyways. thanks all. we are pursuing counselling just coz our different parenting styles with puberty hormones are doing a number on dd. before she starts middle school we have to set a counselor in place.
Having a set schedule for visitation might help her switch from your expectations to his a little easier. My DD loves the set schedule she has because she always knows when she has to deal with the chaos at her dad's house (three other kids live there) and she has created a little routine to help herself adjust happily. Having the visit days clustered together may also make it easier on her so she doesn't have to bounce between expectations too frequently. I also broke down and purchased a tracfone for my DD and loaded it with her friends numbers so she can call or text when at her dad's. It helps her feel like she has options even though she hasn't needed to
Sharing custody seems to get harder the older DD gets not easier. I hope the counseling helps.
- when they play music you dont like...
- › May 2013 Chit Chat 4 minutes ago
- › Spring/Summer 2013 Pregnant Bajingos - Having #1 in our 30s 5 minutes ago
- › Gently curbing repetition and endless rituals with 2.5 year old? 6 minutes ago
- › 52 Project Challenge, 2013 9 minutes ago
- › Screams bloody murder in his cloth carrier, refuses to walk to... 9 minutes ago
- › May 2013 Chat Thread 11 minutes ago
- › How are you feeling? 15 minutes ago
- › Belly Pics 15 minutes ago
- › Male factor ?s 15 minutes ago
- › PDX Fluoride Vote! 18 minutes ago
- › Trillium Organics OGmama Belly Butter by trilliumama
- › Gaiam Wrap Waist Yoga Pants by Melanie Mayo
- › Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by dayiscoming2006
- › Charlie Banana Reusable Feminine Pads Liner Butterfly, Butterfly by Chapsie
- › Earth Mama-Angel Baby Earth Mama Bottom Balm, 2 fl oz (60 ml) by Chapsie
- › Econobum Individual by Chapsie
- › EnJoye LBI Deluxe Tote Set - Brown by JennaRose
- › Lusa Organics Booty Balm by emkassu
- › I Took the Moon for a Walk by Melanie Mayo
- › BabyKicks Premium Pocket Diaper by KirstenP
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer... by Melanie Mayo
- › Relax. Parenting Is Supposed to Be Messy,... by Brian Leaf
- › Managing Mom Stress: Sharing Tips and Trying... by Melanie Mayo
- › Who Wants to Sleep Alone? by Cynthia Mosher
- › Should I Train My Child....Like a Dog?! by Sarah Clark
- › Mothering Articles by Melanie Mayo
- › Terms and Conditions - Sustainability Oak... by JenniO11
- › Terms and Conditions - Mothering... by JenniO11