Since we are getting to that stage now, I thought it might be fun to have a thread to share ideas about how you plan to make your HB what you want it to be that might be useful to others. What foods you plan to have on hand, how you want to set up your room(s) for birth, tips and tricks you've read/heard about, etc. etc.
I don't have much in mind right now, so need to do some thinking. But in addition to all the standard "birth kit on hand" type things:
So far I am quite sure I'll want to hang out in the bathtub/bathroom a fair bit so for that room I plan:
- to put a yoga mat down on the tile floor so it isn't so hard/cold/slippery
- get DH to install a wand type shower head so he can spray me down if I want to stand up (so I don't get chilled)
- be sure to have lots of towels on hand
- our lights in the room are already on a dimmer, but in case I deliver during the day I may want to have something set up so I can darken the window (it is just frosted glass)
In our bedroom, I want to:
- clear the dressers of all our pictures, jewlery boxes, etc. and put a sheet on top of the glass tops for MW to put her supplies
- have an electric heater on hand to quickly warm up the room for the third stage (reading that it is important to get mamma warmed up quickly to reduce the fight/flight hormones after the second stage, to help reduce the risk of hemmorage)
- have another yoga mat on the floor in the bedroom in case I want to squat, go on all fours or who knows what in that room
- nice, soft blanket to put on top of babe and I right after birth. I suspect I'll be naked when babe is born as with DS I couldn't stand having ANYTHING on my body, so that will make skin to skin a breeze!
- need to make laboraide and have on hand
- making banana bread with chocolate chips to have on hand
- going to have chocolate milk on hand for right after babes is born (I was reading this in another thread on here somewhere recently, and it makes perfect sense since chocolate milk is such an excellent post-workout recovery drink)
music - I want some but need suggestions
aromatherapy - so far I have orange and peppermint on the list as they fight nausea.
I am very excited to see (and likely steal!) everyone's fabulous ideas!