or Connect
Mothering › Groups › April 2013 Due Date Club › Discussions › Home birth mamas, birth pool question!

Home birth mamas, birth pool question!

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 

I picked up the birth pool at my appt the other day. We live on the second floor in an apartment building and DH is concerned that the pool will be too heavy. I desperately want to be able to use the pool, but definitely don't want to end up in the downstairs apartment while I'm in labor! Does anyone have any input? Have you ever heard of problems from the weight of the pool? TIA for your advice!

post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyRuth View Post

I picked up the birth pool at my appt the other day. We live on the second floor in an apartment building and DH is concerned that the pool will be too heavy. I desperately want to be able to use the pool, but definitely don't want to end up in the downstairs apartment while I'm in labor! Does anyone have any input? Have you ever heard of problems from the weight of the pool? TIA for your advice!

I'm in the March DDC (I'm overdue and waiting for my baby to come!).  Anyway, I have a La Bassine birth tub set up in my bedroom and the website said that the total weight when it is filled is about the same as 7-9 people standing in that spot.  Hope that helps!   (La Bassine is one of the smaller capacity pools, as far as gallons go, though).  Good luck!  

post #3 of 6
My midwife asked me "Would you feel the floor would cave if you had 12 grown men in any one spot in your home? Do you have any heavy furniture pieces that are -always- around without caving? Have you filled the bathtub up with water and fell through the floor?" It really made me realize that it's pretty unlikely that the floor would cave under the weight of the birth pool smile.gif
post #4 of 6
She also told me houses and apartments are designed differently. She's never had an issue in any scenario, but has only heard stories of the pool falling through the floor in houses, minus stories of transfers and no one draining the pool and it bursting(and that was a big leak/flood, not a caving situation)
post #5 of 6

I had my first in a 2nd floor apartment with a birth pool set up.  We used a fishy pool so I don't know how that compares to what you have.  But, the midwives did not say anything about where it should be set up nor did my DH seem overly concerned about the location.  It was in the corner, by a window in the living room where we had easy access for draining it later.  The apartment building was big and relatively new, so I assume it had very sturdy construction.

 

We live in a house now, and are setting up another fishy pool in our bedroom on the 2nd floor.  My DH is a little more concerned with the weight and so we picked a spot that is supported by a structural wall downstairs.  Our house is ~15 yrs old and solidly built, so I doubt there will be even any minor problems.

 

Hope that helps!

post #6 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapsie View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyRuth View Post

I picked up the birth pool at my appt the other day. We live on the second floor in an apartment building and DH is concerned that the pool will be too heavy. I desperately want to be able to use the pool, but definitely don't want to end up in the downstairs apartment while I'm in labor! Does anyone have any input? Have you ever heard of problems from the weight of the pool? TIA for your advice!

I'm in the March DDC (I'm overdue and waiting for my baby to come!).  Anyway, I have a La Bassine birth tub set up in my bedroom and the website said that the total weight when it is filled is about the same as 7-9 people standing in that spot.  Hope that helps!   (La Bassine is one of the smaller capacity pools, as far as gallons go, though).  Good luck!  

I'm using the Birth Pool In a Box, which might be bigger, but I don't think it's by much. It does help to imagine people standing in that spot, so thank you! Good luck with waiting and I hope your LO arrives at the perfect time! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanmomma View Post

She also told me houses and apartments are designed differently. She's never had an issue in any scenario, but has only heard stories of the pool falling through the floor in houses, minus stories of transfers and no one draining the pool and it bursting(and that was a big leak/flood, not a caving situation)

Thank you! I'll definitely tell DH this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrogeoCole View Post

I had my first in a 2nd floor apartment with a birth pool set up.  We used a fishy pool so I don't know how that compares to what you have.  But, the midwives did not say anything about where it should be set up nor did my DH seem overly concerned about the location.  It was in the corner, by a window in the living room where we had easy access for draining it later.  The apartment building was big and relatively new, so I assume it had very sturdy construction.

 

We live in a house now, and are setting up another fishy pool in our bedroom on the 2nd floor.  My DH is a little more concerned with the weight and so we picked a spot that is supported by a structural wall downstairs.  Our house is ~15 yrs old and solidly built, so I doubt there will be even any minor problems.

 

Hope that helps!

It does help. Thank you!!!

  Return Home
  Back to Forum: April 2013 Due Date Club
Mothering › Groups › April 2013 Due Date Club › Discussions › Home birth mamas, birth pool question!