or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Baby Health › Vaccinations › Vaccinations Debate › Current Status of Aluminum Adjuvant Research
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Current Status of Aluminum Adjuvant Research - Page 3

post #41 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

Oh good. Lets trot out tobacco again.

There was far more evidence showing tobacco was harmful, even back in the heyday, than there are for vaccines.

Back in the heyday, eh?

 

REALLY, Rrrrrachel. Don't you ever admit when you are wrong?  

 

This was only 5 months ago:  http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505123_162-57555099/judge-orders-tobacco-companies-to-say-they-lied/

 

Judge Orders Tobbaco Companies to Say They Lied

"Each corrective ad is to be prefaced by a statement that a federal court has concluded that the defendant tobacco companies "deliberately deceived the American public about the health effects of smoking."

 

Gee.  Do we know any other companies that have deliberately deceived the American public about health effects??

 

"The corrective statements are part of a case the government brought in 1999 under the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations. Kessler ruled in that case in 2006 that the nation's largest cigarette makers concealed the dangers of smoking for decades…"

 

Only 19 years ago, the CEOs of the 7 largest tobacco manufacturers swore before US Congress that nicotine is not addictive:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQUNk5meJHs

 

Anybody reminded of the recent Congressional Hearings on autism??  Watch Colleen Boyle try to get out of answering the questions. (I guess that's better than outright lying--or is it?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDpkHEeCf3o

 

How about the 3:00 mark from the 2002 Congressional Hearings?  Watch Dr. Karen Midthun try to get out of answering the questions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id-gGYQihaM

post #42 of 58
Taxi what does this have to do with anything?
post #43 of 58

 

Thank you for the info, Taximom. Dan Burton was great--he pressed Dr. Midthun to finally admit "We don't know one way or the other".

post #44 of 58
So the tobacco companies were lying 7 years ago - but almost all scientists did not agree with their point of view at that time (in fact for many years previous to that).

I think we can all agree large companies can act immorally (almost always seem to once they pass a certain size), but there are checks and balances and that they can act immorally doesn't mean they always get away with it. The tobacco companies didn't.....
post #45 of 58

great links, Taxi and Serenbat, Thanks!

post #46 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post


I think we can all agree large companies can act immorally (almost always seem to once they pass a certain size), but there are checks and balances and that they can act immorally doesn't mean they always get away with it. The tobacco companies didn't.....

If people are sufficiently worried about ethics around Big. Pharm, they are not going to care (in a personal way) that it might get sorted out eventually.  They have to make decisions now.  

post #47 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post

but there are checks and balances and that they can act immorally doesn't mean they always get away with it. The tobacco companies didn't.....

This is what we are trying to do when we voice our concerns about vaccines. I don't think there are enough checks and balances, or those responsible might be working for both sides (think revolving door). The pharmaceutical companies have influence in our government, that's a sad fact. There are also a growing number of professionals who are questioning vaccine safety. There are many questions that are not going away, and will eventually need to be answered.

post #48 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post

So the tobacco companies were lying 7 years ago - but almost all scientists did not agree with their point of view at that time (in fact for many years previous to that).

I think we can all agree large companies can act immorally (almost always seem to once they pass a certain size), but there are checks and balances and that they can act immorally doesn't mean they always get away with it. The tobacco companies didn't.....


It took time and effort to make the changes to the tobacco companies. And there are similarities between that fight and the current vaccine fight. But maybe you need to be old enough to remember the tobacco fight to see the similarities.
post #49 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by pek64 View Post


It took time and effort to make the changes to the tobacco companies. And there are similarities between that fight and the current vaccine fight. But maybe you need to be old enough to remember the tobacco fight to see the similarities.

That, and you need to care enough about vaccine injury victims to see beyond the propaganda.

post #50 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by pek64 View Post

It took time and effort to make the changes to the tobacco companies. And there are similarities between that fight and the current vaccine fight. But maybe you need to be old enough to remember the tobacco fight to see the similarities.

What are the similarities?
post #51 of 58
What do you think?
post #52 of 58

I'm not sure that's why I asked.  shrug.gif

post #53 of 58
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

I'm not sure that's why I asked.  shrug.gif

 

Why do you expect people to do your work for you?  You obviously have time on your hands. shrug.gif

post #54 of 58
I don't think it's unreasonable to ask people for more information when they make a claim. I can do my own research (and I do) but that won't tell me anything about what another poster thinks. There's value in both.
post #55 of 58
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask people for more information when they make a claim. I can do my own research (and I do) but that won't tell me anything about what another poster thinks. There's value in both.

It is when the information has already been provided.

post #56 of 58
I don't think I'm reading the same threads as the rest of y'all lately . . .
post #57 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post

It is when the information has already been provided.

Where exactly was the information provided - I am unable to find a link that supports Pek64's claims in any of her posts.
post #58 of 58
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Vaccinations Debate
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Baby Health › Vaccinations › Vaccinations Debate › Current Status of Aluminum Adjuvant Research