or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Toddler › Life with a Toddler › Dilemma re Chicken Pox Vaccine...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dilemma re Chicken Pox Vaccine...

post #1 of 2
Thread Starter 

We're in a bit of a pickle.  I just got a call from my DS's pediatrician telling me that we were exposed to chicken pox in their office yesterday.  My DS has had the first vaccine but not the second, so he might be immune or might not.  Normally, I would go ahead and do the second vaccine, but he is really sick today!  Stuffy nose, low fever and lethargic.  My philosophy on vaccines has always been space them out and do them when he is not sick....  However, we only have three days from the chicken pox exposure (Monday) to vaccinate him in order for it to have a good chance of working.  

 

Also, to add to the complexity, I have been checked and I am not immune to chicken pox.  The doctor would like to vaccinate me as well, but then my DS will be double exposed -- through his own vaccine and through my breastmilk.  He is 2 and a half years old, so not much breastmilk, but still a good bit of night nursing happens.... 

 

Any thoughts!?

 

***Revision, pediatrician is now saying to vaccinate me, but wait to vaccinate him until his fever goes away.  So I think that is what we will do, but would still love to get others' thoughts and suggestions.


Edited by MiddleRiverMama - 3/27/13 at 11:20am
post #2 of 2

Middle River Mama did you have the chicken pox as a kid? If so then I would not vaccinate. Personally I wouldn't choose to vaccinate my son for chicken pox bc of the increased risk associated with any vaccine (my personal belief) and the increased risk of shingles later on in life, but since you already gave him the first vaccine and he did not have a negative reaction, waiting 24 hrs for his fever to subside to give dose number two is probably not that large of a risk.

 

Sorry for your dilema. Best of luck!!!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Life with a Toddler
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Toddler › Life with a Toddler › Dilemma re Chicken Pox Vaccine...